What's new

ACtober (used to be October) is for AC Platform Razors | Version 1 | 2022

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
ACtober 2022
Razor: Facón Shavette
Blade: Feather Artist Club ProSoft Guard (3)
Brush: @Rudy Vey AS3M Emerald Green (Mühle 25mm STF)
Bowl: Face Lathered
Lather: MdC Nature
Aftershave: Aproxo Perfecto+
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray
20221024_094920~2.jpg

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11982474

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Congratulations Jim!

Don't think that I've ever had to squeeze the head on my Vectors? Do be careful, though, when screwing the handle onto the head.

Handles I prefer on the Vectors:
Doug's GTC 25g
Doug’s GTS 25g
TiBam Antique
Timeless Spiral TRH6 Ti
Timeless Crown TRH8 Ti
TiBam New York

My preferred handle dimensions are 80mm long x 14mm to 15mm in diameter.

Have fun! :)

Thanks, David. I prefer the same handle size and have several of the same handles. I'm considering one of Doug's for the Vector.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221024 Shave #2
ACtober 2022
20221024_210043~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (2)
Brush: Frickwerkz Handle (PAA 26mm Roswell Grey Hybrid)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: MdC Nature
20221024_210400~2.jpg

Superb AC blade razor! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11983314

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I could use some advice on how to install the blade correctly.... should it be parallel to the safety bar? I find, the blade can move around a bit as I'm tightening down the handle.

With a Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink blade I simply turn the cap stud-up, and place the blade over the two posts, lower the baseplate and screw on the handle. I usually check to be sure that things haven't slipped askew, but my experience with that blade is that it fits pretty exactly and lines up with the bar.

I have heard occasionally that some brands of AC blade don't always line up perfectly, but at the moment I'm not remembering which ones. I remember getting a no-name blade in a Chinese shavette once that was pretty bad (and I didn't use it at all).

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
With a Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink blade I simply turn the cap stud-up, and place the blade over the two posts, lower the baseplate and screw on the handle. I usually check to be sure that things haven't slipped askew, but my experience with that blade is that it fits pretty exactly and lines up with the bar.

I have heard occasionally that some brands of AC blade don't always line up perfectly, but at the moment I'm not remembering which ones. I remember getting a no-name blade in a Chinese shavette once that was pretty bad (and I didn't use it at all).

O.H.
I must jerk the head a bit because the slots line up perfectly. I think it's the slant that might move things as it gets tightened down. I've only used the Kai Captain Titan Protouch blades so far. I have all the other available blades with the exception of the Pro Proshave P's.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have to say... I'm so glad someone else bought @Hannah's Dad 's Vector Ti he had up for sale. I really don't think the Vector is a good match for me but at that price, I went to bed last night... tempted. I was relieved when I looked a while ago and saw it was sold. I know it's considered the top AC razor by many people but I think it's too aggressive/efficient for me based on what I've read here... and getting to know my own face.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I went back to my ATT X1 today.... I still thank Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers and @Old Hippie every time I pick it up. It certainly wasn't on my radar to purchase but I'm so glad I did.

I could use some advice on how to install the blade correctly.... should it be parallel to the safety bar? I find, the blade can move around a bit as I'm tightening down the handle.

View attachment 1545849

You're welcome, Kim.

I put the blade on the top cap with the top of the top cap touching the towel on the counter. Then I put the baseplate on. Then the handle. That's how I do it with all razors which allow me to follow that set of procedures.

As far as I can determine the AC blade always stays where it's supposed to (by the design of the pins or whatever holds the blade in place.

On the X1, with the blade properly installed, the blade looks like it is installed wrong, but it's right. Properly installed the X1 blade is parallel with the edge of the safety bar, but not with the edge of the top cap.

I hope that explains it. If not, I didn't understand the issue.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have to agree about the Vector. I finally got around to using my Colonial General just now, a bit early for me. I had a 6 month old Feather Pro in there and did almost half the shave before deciding it is alright to bin it finally. So I grabbed a new to me Kai Captain, not the PINK ones. These things are SHARP!

The Blackbird has helped me to realise that the problem with AC razors for me is that the amount to damage being done to my skin is out of proportion with what I am feeling while shaving. I really enjoy using my General and will never sell it for anything, but every once in a while I think I want to know what the Vector is like and I really don't. The problem is clearly the high blade angle for one of these blades that are meant for open blade razors and a low angle. The reason I say that is knowing what it's like to shave too high with a shavette and the fact that all the consequences with the AC blade happen while I am rinsing. Weepers, weepers everywhere. I also confirmed that my alum block is working and wow, I have forgotten what that feels like!

A very nice shave, that I don't want to repeat too often. I will stick with my daily driver Blackbird Ti and (relatively)dull DE blades. But The General is on standby duty when I need a quick single pass shave, there isn't anything more effective than AC!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You're welcome, Kim.

I put the blade on the top cap with the top of the top cap touching the towel on the counter. Then I put the baseplate on. Then the handle. That's how I do it with all razors which allow me to follow that set of procedures.

As far as I can determine the AC blade always stays where it's supposed to (by the design of the pins or whatever holds the blade in place.

On the X1, with the blade properly installed, the blade looks like it is installed wrong, but it's right. Properly installed the X1 blade is parallel with the edge of the safety bar, but not with the edge of the top cap.

I hope that explains it. If not, I didn't understand the issue.

Happy shaves,

Jim
That's exactly how I do it... and when I know it's installed correctly, the blade edge is parallel with the safety bar. Most of the time, I get it the first try but I've had the blade sitting askew a bit and the cap not totally flat against the base plate. I'm probably just a klutz.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have to agree about the Vector. I finally got around to using my Colonial General just now, a bit early for me. I had a 6 month old Feather Pro in there and did almost half the shave before deciding it is alright to bin it finally. So I grabbed a new to me Kai Captain, not the PINK ones. These things are SHARP!

The Blackbird has helped me to realise that the problem with AC razors for me is that the amount to damage being done to my skin is out of proportion with what I am feeling while shaving. I really enjoy using my General and will never sell it for anything, but every once in a while I think I want to know what the Vector is like and I really don't. The problem is clearly the high blade angle for one of these blades that are meant for open blade razors and a low angle. The reason I say that is knowing what it's like to shave too high with a shavette and the fact that all the consequences with the AC blade happen while I am rinsing. Weepers, weepers everywhere. I also confirmed that my alum block is working and wow, I have forgotten what that feels like!

A very nice shave, that I don't want to repeat too often. I will stick with my daily driver Blackbird Ti and (relatively)dull DE blades. But The General is on standby duty when I need a quick single pass shave, there isn't anything more effective than AC!
Aaron, I'm sure you read @never-stop-learning /David's posts. His number one and two ACs are the Titanium and SS Vectors. 3rd is the General V2. He likes more "efficient" razors than I do, at least, that's what I gather from the razors he likes. The X1 is 4th because it's less efficient.... that's why I like it so much.. It's maybe half a step up on efficiency from my Claymore Evo and half a step down from the Blutt when using the 1.20 base plate. The razors I like are "Mild but Efficient"... and smooth.

I think the Vectors and perhaps your General V2 are a step or two above that... I don't have a way of knowing unless I try one. I'm not prepared to do that at this point.. or that's what I keep telling myself. <eg>

Aaron, I'm sure you read @never-stop-learning /David's posts. His number one and two ACs are the Titanium and SS Vectors. 3rd is the General V2. He likes more "efficient" razors than I do, at least, that's what I gather from the razors he likes. The X1 is 4th because it's less efficient.... that's why I like it so much.. It's maybe half a step up on efficiency from my Claymore Evo and half a step down from the Blutt when using the 1.20 base plate. The razors I like are "Mild but Efficient"... and smooth.

I think the Vectors and perhaps your General V2 are a step or two above that... I don't have a way of knowing unless I try one. I'm not prepared to do that at this point.. or that's what I keep telling myself. <eg>
It's kind of funny how some our shaving journeys have been a straight line and others have looped back to an earlier direction. You have consistently stuck with AC in spite of some side adventures, but a few of us have been through an extended early DE phase before moving over to AC. Lesser of us have found DEs that work better than AC and better than we ever thought possible. It's really true that everything needs to be re-evaluated periodically as technique progresses, not just improves, but changes.

As for The General, it is rather forgiving itself and that is the paradox, the blades aren't. I will probably stick a PINK in there again and see how it goes, those have been wonderful, but short lived for me. I have had my eye on the X1 for a long time since old hippy included it in his tilted picnic series, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. So many razors, so little time money.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
ACtober 2022
20221025_192659~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (3)
Brush: Turn-N-Shave 25mm Quartermoon Fan
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood
20221025_192744~2.jpg

Superb top tier razor and shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11984867

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It's kind of funny how some our shaving journeys have been a straight line and others have looped back to an earlier direction. You have consistently stuck with AC in spite of some side adventures, but a few of us have been through an extended early DE phase before moving over to AC. Lesser of us have found DEs that work better than AC and better than we ever thought possible. It's really true that everything needs to be re-evaluated periodically as technique progresses, not just improves, but changes.

As for The General, it is rather forgiving itself and that is the paradox, the blades aren't. I will probably stick a PINK in there again and see how it goes, those have been wonderful, but short lived for me. I have had my eye on the X1 for a long time since old hippy included it in his tilted picnic series, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. So many razors, so little time money.
We all have differing combinations of face, skin and beard. Different razor/blade combinations and designs will work better for some, and not as good for others.

As long as you are able to find that combination of razor and blade that you can use daily for superb, irritation-free shaves then the journey will have been worth it. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That's exactly how I do it... and when I know it's installed correctly, the blade edge is parallel with the safety bar. Most of the time, I get it the first try but I've had the blade sitting askew a bit and the cap not totally flat against the base plate. I'm probably just a klutz.

It took me a few or several times to get it right with the X1, too, Kim. More so than with the AC safety razors I'd used previous to the X1.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Lesser of us have found DEs that work better than AC and better than we ever thought possible. It's really true that everything needs to be re-evaluated periodically as technique progresses, not just improves, but changes.

Very true, Aaron. I'm in that "lesser" category :) for the reason that a wide edge doesn't touch very much on a hard ball-shaped surface, nor does a sharper edge necessarily do well at shaving on thinner skin stretched over hard bone.

I will probably stick a PINK in there again and see how it goes, those have been wonderful, but short lived for me.

I find that in the X1 (as my only AC razor now) I can usually get 9 shaves or 3 weeks out of a Kai Pink. With an Astra SP DE blade it's 6 shaves/2 weeks. In two weeks I'm ready to change to another razor. In three, I'm bored. :)

I have had my eye on the X1 for a long time since old hippy included it in his tilted picnic series, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. So many razors, so little time money.

I'm happy with it. My last couple of purchases were so serendipitous that I've found it simple to exercise restraint for several months so far.

O.H.

Top Bottom