What's new

Active blade storage options

How do you store your active blade between shaves?

I dissassemble, wash and towl dry my razor handles. Blades get carefully wiped clean under hot water, then pat dry on a towel.

I'm storing my DE blade on top of a mini-Altoids tin and my GEM on top of the cap of unopened MdC soap in a drawer.

I know some people keep the original paper wrapper and store them in there.

I'm looking for maybe some more secure or creative options.

I do not remove blades from my razors until the time has come to replace them with a new blade. I rinse my razor out under running water to remove soap residue and shake out the excess. When replacing the blade, I use an old, soft toothbrush to remove any soap residue that might remain.

Every time you remove or reinstall a blade in a razor, there is a slight possibility you will get cut. There is an even greater possibility that the blade will be damaged by contact with another object, even a seemingly soft object like a towel. The edge of a razor blade is less than 1 micron thick. It does not take much pressure to damage it, no matter how careful you are in your cleaning and drying process.

If you are using carbon steel blades, they will rust if left in the razor; but most modern blades are stainless steel and can be left in the razor for their lifespan. Millions of men use cartridge razors that have blades that are permanently mounted into the head. There is no way they can clean and dry those blades.

Might find some suggestions in these previous threads.

I glued a couple of magnets to the back wall of my medicine cabinet. I've got 4 blades in there right now; usually don't have that many but have been doing some testing/evaluations.

Might find some suggestions in these previous threads.

@HoosierTrooper i tried searching and came up with very little. thanks for those. you can delete my thread.

How do you store your active blade between shaves?

I dissassemble, wash and towl dry my razor handles. Blades get carefully wiped clean under hot water, then pat dry on a towel.

I'm storing my DE blade on top of a mini-Altoids tin and my GEM on top of the cap of unopened MdC soap in a drawer.

I know some people keep the original paper wrapper and store them in there.

I'm looking for maybe some more secure or creative options.

I am basically the opposite! I rinse and shake dry. I do nothing special to preserve a blade. 99% of the time I don't move a blade between razors.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been using my system of holding blades until next use with modified Magnetic business cards with great success and I not about to change unless something better comes along.
My observation when learning was not to have 10 to 20 blades going through a rotation circulation at one time and I just clean dry and store same blade if possible for the next shave with a different razor is what I wanted 6 years ago.
Did not see a advantage of removing from blade wrapping then use and then rewrap the blade in the original wrapping so I came up with magnetic business cards that sandwich blade between to pieces of modified card + I had different brands of blades like Gem, Valet auto-strop, DE, SE and extra wide blades so I bought a inexpensive business card or credit card holder and have not looked back. Very simple and quick way of holding blades safely between next uses.
(Old archived photo's of how I store my blades between modified magnetic business cards.)
Blade storage 1.jpg
Blade storage 2 (2).jpg
Blade storage 3 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

the frugal shave on etsy has a lot of nice options, but i think i might DIY something given all the suggestions here.

i don’t like leaving blades in razor handles. i have hard water and don’t mind spending an extra minute to clean stuff up without having to use alcohol.

i just need to make something that keeps them in place in my vanity drawer. i only have one blade out at a time. so i’m not doing blade swapping every shave. i use blades until they’re tugging.

thanks for the suggestions despite this subject coming up many times in the past.

I do the exact same thing as @RayClem and @dmshaver never removing the blade between shaves until it's time to replace it. Give the razor a thorough cleaning with a toothbrush and dishwashing soap during each razor change. I do rinse the razor with hot water after each shave.

No issues to date. Also this is the same way cartridge system blades are treated.

Keep them in the razor I currently using. Just shake and blow the water off. Not really concerned the blade. + both kids already learned the hard way, before touching Dad’s razor. ie. Cut lip or finger.

Top Bottom