What's new

Across the grain pass

When performing an across the grain pass is it preferable to have the razor head horizontal and then make the stroke from North West to South East (on the left side of your face, obviously,) or, do you have the head of the razor held vertically and make a straightforward West to East pass? The reason I ask is because I am having trouble with both techniques and would like to know which one people think to be the most valid. When I attempt the diagonal NW to SE pass I find the razor much easier to manoeuvre but the blade doesn't cut very closely, also I tend to miss several little patches of stubble (particularly in the hard to reach areas) that can be awkward to go back over.
With the W to E pass I find it incredibly difficult to get the correct angle in the first place, and actually moving the razor in an efficacious manner becomes very difficult. Also, when attempting this particular stroke I find that my skin has a tendency to bunch up into one big, unshaveable flap. I try to remedy this by pulling my ear in the opposite direction, but my dexterity being what it is (i.e non-existant) I end up looking like a very frustrated (not to mention comical) contortionist, who hasn't had a proper shave.
Considering my dilemma ( and the physical comedy side effects) I am obviously in need of some assistance; if anyone can help me overcome this problem I will be eternally in your debt (or at least very grateful for a few days.)
Your advice, as always, is highly anticipated.
Regards,
AJS

AJS said:
When performing an across the grain pass is it preferable to have the razor head horizontal and then make the stroke from North West to South East (on the left side of your face, obviously,) or, do you have the head of the razor held vertically and make a straightforward West to East pass? The reason I ask is because I am having trouble with both techniques and would like to know which one people think to be the most valid. When I attempt the diagonal NW to SE pass I find the razor much easier to manoeuvre but the blade doesn't cut very closely, also I tend to miss several little patches of stubble (particularly in the hard to reach areas) that can be awkward to go back over.
With the W to E pass I find it incredibly difficult to get the correct angle in the first place, and actually moving the razor in an efficacious manner becomes very difficult. Also, when attempting this particular stroke I find that my skin has a tendency to bunch up into one big, unshaveable flap. I try to remedy this by pulling my ear in the opposite direction, but my dexterity being what it is (i.e non-existant) I end up looking like a very frustrated (not to mention comical) contortionist, who hasn't had a proper shave.
Considering my dilemma ( and the physical comedy side effects) I am obviously in need of some assistance; if anyone can help me overcome this problem I will be eternally in your debt (or at least very grateful for a few days.)
Your advice, as always, is highly anticipated.
Regards,
AJS
Whether diagonal or horizontal some will say is an opinion issue. For me it is not as I find that working an "X" on my cross passes provides for better shearing. That aside, here is a way that I provide my buddy the cat with some amusement when I shave my cheeks. Though stretching with one's findgers is helpful for certain areas I find my imitation of a Japanese Puffer Fish works wonders for smooth and tickles the cat too. While pursing your lips tightlly together, force the air in your mouth to ballloon your cheeks. Then do your pass(es) however you prefer.
This will amuse onlookers and provide a more taught fabric for your razor to shear. Hope that helps. Oh, and be careful you don't crack yourself up and allow the air to explosively escape! You'll cut the dickens out of yourself.

I also have better luck puffing then pulling, so to speak. :wink:

I think that the puffing of the cheeks stretches the skin in a more natural way than pulling, which can leave wrinkles--which equals dreaded razor skipping.:eek:

Guenron and mrob, thankyou both for your advice. With regards to the 'puffer fish' technique it is not something that I had ever contemplated before but it sounds as if it could be the answer to my problems, I am eagerly awaiting tomorrow mornings oblutions now, thnx.
mrob, with regard to the potential for wrinkling the skin, this was something that had always worried me ( I'm only 23 and I'm already worried about wrinkles, how neurotic is that?) but I had read in a straight razor guide that it actually helped to tone and tighten the skin, now I am even more confused than I was before!
With regards to the angle, am I right in assuming that a thirty degree angle will still be optimal for this type of pass? If so, do you have any suggestions on how to maintain the correct angle out of position like this while still being able to manoeuvre the futur? Currently the futur is the only razor I have, but if you think a change of razor might help I have a merkur slant bar coming from classic shaving (it was an impulse buy) and an HD Classic coming from The Gentlemans Shop.
Regards,
AJS

AJS said:
Guenron and mrob, thankyou both for your advice. With regards to the 'puffer fish' technique it is not something that I had ever contemplated before but it sounds as if it could be the answer to my problems, I am eagerly awaiting tomorrow mornings oblutions now, thnx.
mrob, with regard to the potential for wrinkling the skin, this was something that had always worried me ( I'm only 23 and I'm already worried about wrinkles, how neurotic is that?) but I had read in a straight razor guide that it actually helped to tone and tighten the skin, now I am even more confused than I was before!
With regards to the angle, am I right in assuming that a thirty degree angle will still be optimal for this type of pass? If so, do you have any suggestions on how to maintain the correct angle out of position like this while still being able to manoeuvre the futur? Currently the futur is the only razor I have, but if you think a change of razor might help I have a merkur slant bar coming from classic shaving (it was an impulse buy) and an HD Classic coming from The Gentlemans Shop.
Regards,
AJS
Please forgive me since it appears that I have forgotten your first name, but have you read By Popular Demand-The Four Pass? And, I do not believe a change of razor is in order. You have one of the most effective tools in the Merkur line in your hand every morning with the Futur.

A lot of this will take some personal learning about what works best for you. I contort my face in all different directions to get a good shave, and I still experiment with different angles, passes, etc. to see if I can do better. For across-grain, I do one ear to chin with the blade roughly vertical, and others at various angles. Keep experimenting and you'll find what works for you.

Once agian thank you for your replies. The link was very helpful Guenron, and my name is Alex by the way. Thankyou too, to Scotto for taking the time to reply.
Regards,
AJS

Alex,

You said: "mrob, with regard to the potential for wrinkling the skin, this was something that had always worried me ( I'm only 23 and I'm already worried about wrinkles, how neurotic is that?) but I had read in a straight razor guide that it actually helped to tone and tighten the skin, now I am even more confused than I was before!"

a. wrinkles only add dignity and distinguished good looks to men, so nothing to worry about there:wink:

b. the "tightening and toning" of the skin through shaving likely refers to the sloughing off of a layer of skin or 2 that happens every time you shave with a sharp blade. My comment about wrinkling had to do with the potential for your skin to "snap" back during pulling it, not that you'd increase your chances of developing wrinkles by shaving--which I don't think is possible.

Have fun!

Instead of puffing, I sometimes put a plastic practice golf ball in my mouth when I shave.

Just don't swallow it!

Tom:tongue_sm

vontech said:
Instead of puffing, I sometimes put a plastic practice golf ball in my mouth when I shave.

Just don't swallow it!

Tom:tongue_sm
There's an urban lore-like joke somewhere around here about the greatest str8 shave in the world and the use of a tennis ball... Where's Mark TSSB when you need him?

Top Bottom