What's new

Acquisitions Monday Nov 14 - Sunday Nov 20

Greetings Mallers, E-buyers, and Cata-shoppers!
My personal thanks to Rik for kicking off the thread last week, Well done and excellent performance on the part of all of you. Once again you have shown that beyond a doubt the Spirit of Wetshaving Consumerism has not been dampened by the passing of Halloween, or the impending Black Friday sales!
A new week and new goodies to buy. Have at it!

:em3300: On a personal note, it brought a tear of joy to my eye to see the outright exploitation of the Crabtree and Evelyn 20% Customer Appreciation Days! There will be many a fragrant, well-shaved cheek celebrating those scores!

Having tried many of the most popular shaving product companies out there, there was still one conspicuously absent from the shave closet, D R Harris. I pulled the trigger last week, in spite of my binge shopping at C&E, and placed my order. I received a beautiful D R Harris bowl of almond shaving soap as well as D R Harris aftershave milk. I also ordered a tub of almond shaving cream but alas, back ordered. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave to once again, put the "Lathermeister's" patented technique to good use!

Jerry
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry,

After an endless search for the ultimate post-shave treatment, I recently got a bottle of the Milk. I can say that there is nothing that feels better on your face after a shave - amazing product. Enjoy!

Got some stuff in trade today. The new Penhaligon's fragrance, plus some moisturizer. Penhaligon's is stealing my countertop pattern....

Hello All,

My "score" is very modest compared to Jerry's haul this week :).

Got some more Woods of Windsor Talc and Shampoo from Fine English Fragrances, http://www.englishfragrances.com.

The Woods of Windsor Shower Gel is on back order. Ron probably got the last bottle :)!

Cheers,
Richard
South of Ron's Castle

full

Mommy and baby are doing fine. Pictures follow; straight out of box, after a de-stinkifying treatment with Johnson's Baby Shampoo and moisturizing with Taylor's Avocado, and then with their new family.

Half of my St. Charles order (the Tony and the Spice), of which I promptly removed the nice looking, but useless tags.

full

-Nick

Nick said:
Half of my St. Charles order (the Tony and the Spice), of which I promptly removed the nice looking, but useless tags.

full

-Nick

How do you like them? Mine should be here anyday.

roughrider said:
How do you like them? Mine should be here anyday.

RR,

After posting my SotD, I decided I'd throw a spritz of the new spice on just for the helluvit, so I'm wearing them both at the moment.

Today was my first day using both of them (I gave them a thorough sniff test when they arrived, and put some of the AS on my fingers).

New Spice: It's hard to describe the scent, but I think the name is very appropriate. It strikes me as something Old Spice would smell like if they wanted to revamp their product line and add a new, slightly younger scent. The scent is pleasing, and not tooooo thick (like Old Spice can be). It does, however, go on a little strong, but I'm not the best judge of that as I almost never wear colognes. The good news is, the strength seems to subside quickly, and then it becomes very pleasant (again, I'm no cologne afficionado, so big grain o' salt with that one).

Tony's Choice: First of all, I looooooooove the smell. It's a very refreshing minty (almost a slight chocolate minty) smell. The smell alone will induce me to purchase more when my current supply runs out. The AS applies pretty smoothly, and isn't greasy imo. It leaves the skin feeling pretty good. I did detect a SLIGHT tingle (which I like), but it was so slight, that it might have just been my brain being influenced by Tony's original review.

That's just my very initial opinion. I'll reserve judgement on both of them until after a few more shaves.

-Nick

I heard from Rik that the packaging could be better. The aluminium looks nice but it's not very functional. What do you think?

RR,

I agree whole-heartedly on both counts.

The items came, each wrapped in a single piece of tissue paper, and inside one of those beige envelopes with a layer of bubblewrap on each side. It's definitely thin and flimsy, and could be better, but at the same time, they have their own aluminum case, so it's not like it's a glass bottle that's going to break. The only weak link is the plastic caps, and it'd take a bit of force to break them (even though I understand Mark had an issue with his A/S). Also, I won't complain too much, because it keeps the shipping cost low.

The aluminum looks very nice, and for the atomizer-topped cologne, it's just fine, but the AS really needs a pump, as it's pretty hard to squeeze some a/s out of a steel tube. What I did to dispense the product was just unscrew the top and pour a small bit into my hand. The A/S could really benefit from a pump dispenser on the top.

-Nick

Nick said:
New Spice: It's hard to describe the scent, but I think the name is very appropriate. It strikes me as something Old Spice would smell like if they wanted to revamp their product line and add a new, slightly younger scent. The scent is pleasing, and not tooooo thick (like Old Spice can be). It does, however, go on a little strong, but I'm not the best judge of that as I almost never wear colognes. The good news is, the strength seems to subside quickly, and then it becomes very pleasant (again, I'm no cologne afficionado, so big grain o' salt with that one).

The fragrance is very pleasant. For me if falls in between M7 by Yves Saint Laurent and ANGEL For Men By THIERRY MUGLER.

I agree with Nick the only practical means of retrieving the after shave balm is by taking the top off. A pump would be nice.

full

Merkur Travel Razor
Feather PT Blades (notice the new clear packaging)
Incredibly forgettable and amazingly small (yet pricey) cake of "shaving" soap. (Review to come)

Hello All,

Modest acquisition this week. From Ray at classicshaving.com, Clubman Shampoo and a Feather Artist Str8 with Proguard blades to start. The str8 journey continues :smile:!

The Clubman has the great scent of Clubman and comes in a generous 16 oz bottle. A little goes a long way. Perfect precursor to Clubman talc, Clubman hair tonic or gel, a shave with Clubman foam and some Clubman AS.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

full

Coche_y_bondhu said:
Hello All,

Modest acquisition this week. From Ray at classicshaving.com, Clubman Shampoo and a Feather Artist Str8 with Proguard blades to start. The str8 journey continues :smile:!

The Clubman has the great scent of Clubman and comes in a generous 16 oz bottle. A little goes a long way. Perfect precursor to Clubman talc, Clubman hair tonic or gel, a shave with Clubman foam and some Clubman AS.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

full
Righteous Good Work Richard. Layer! Layer! Layer!

Hello Ron,

I am layering more these days. Whenever I can. But you are still the Layering King, Ron! You probably have all the fragrance families grouped together; otherwise, it would take you longer to find all the layers for a particular scent, than it would take to shave!

If I am ever up in the Norman area, can I get a guided tour of the Castle :smile: ? Call ahead for reservations, I assume?

Cheers,
Richard
South in North TX

Top Bottom