What's new

Acquisitions Monday June 26th - Sunday July 2nd

Got my 25mm Superior Brushes Super Badger brush today ( I also feel like I've been physically violated by Customs yet again, God I hate those *******'s!)
In light of Joel's comments about the brush I was somewhat apprehensive about receiving it, but like everyone here always says YMMV.
With regards to the handle, it is, simply put, absolutely stunning. Very heavy, yet much more well balanced than any other brush I have held. The bristles are very densely packed, more so than my Simpsons Persian Jar (although truth be told I am so nervous after my initial run of bad luck with brushes, that I haven't had the PJ out of it's box for more than a couple of seconds) the bristles are slightly less robust than the Simpsons bristles, but for me that is a good thing as I prefer a softer brush. I think the combination of densely packed but thinner bristles will be ideal for me.
Pictures when I figure out photoshop ( I can actually work my camera now, but getting the pictures from my album to the site is going to be the big hurdle.)
Obviously, the real test will come when I start to use the brush properly so I reserve judgement until then, but if the level performance is anywhere near as good as the look then I will be happy. Whatever happens, it is the perfect eye candy for a wet shaver.

my lovely sister-in-law who works at a C&E boutique brought me home:

1. a jar of C&E sweet almond oil shave cream
2. a wooden bowl of C&E shave soap
once these beauties are finished, they'll be a memory. :frown:

Jeff

Picked up a slim handle Gillette Adjustable for $2.50 and a boar brush for $3.50 today at a local antique shop. As you can tell the Gillette is in great shape and has cleaned up nicely...and I have yet to polish the metal! I am currently debating whether or not to try and resto the brush and have new bristles put in. Your input would be appreciated.

AJS said:
The bristles are very densely packed, more so than my Simpsons Persian Jar (although truth be told I am so nervous after my initial run of bad luck with brushes, that I haven't had the PJ out of it's box for more than a couple of seconds) the bristles are slightly less robust than the Simpsons bristles, but for me that is a good thing as I prefer a softer brush.

Get that PJ out of its box and use it--the bristles will soften up a ton after its been used a bit. There's a huge difference with the PJs after 1 or 2 uses--they go from bristly (is that a word?!?) to incredibly soft and supple.

For me, the brush is cute but not worth re-bristling. It looks like more fun as a collectable than as an everyday shaver--but YMMV!

Here are the pics of the straights from my great uncle:
First off, here are all of the razors in boxes, though I don't think they are the original boxes.
full

This razor is the smallest of the bunch and is the razor my uncle was given for his 13th birthday (he is now near 80).
full

The red-tipped razor was the razor my uncle's mother used while she was a barber.
full

The SatinEdge Razor is his favorite and was what he used to shave most of his customers. The second favorite was the red-tipped, I believe.
full

Lastly, here are the pics of his personal strop and hone. I am supposed to get a teaching lesson next time I am in Dallas or he comes up to Oklahoma City.
full

full

full

Well, there they are. I have yet to decide on whether or not to use these razors but I have a strong desire to. I'll probably need to surf the net for some info regarding upkeep, keeping the razor sharp, etc before proceeding. If I decide to not use the razors, they will definitely be great in my collection and will be great to hand down to my future kids.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
mrob said:
For me, the brush is cute but not worth re-bristling. It looks like more fun as a collectable than as an everyday shaver--but YMMV!

I think you are right, but for some reason I have this desire to find an old brush and have it re-bristled...must be the SBAD brewing up...must...avoid...spending........more.....money!:07:

Boy, you're not kidding! Its really hard to stop once you start.

Give yourself a break, and celebrate your willpower by. . .purchasing some new shave gear!:wink:

Todd,
I don't know anything about the other two, but the Satinedge is a very good razor. Congrats on the nice score.

The Derby order:
full

My sister-in-law went to Italy and brought this back:
full

Rik said:
Alex,

What handle style and color did you decide on?

Hi Rik,
The handle I chose is the third one down on the left handside of the Superior website. I got it in Mesa Brown. I was tempted to send in a design of my own, but this seemed easier for my first order. Also, it gives me a reason to place another order with Superior in the near future. After all, if I have one of the handles they designed, it's only right I have one of my own design to keep it company.:biggrin:

Actually, this came over a two week period, but I ordered it all the same week, and I thought it would look good together as a group. They look happy, dont they?

full

Left to right, back row
1) Tom's of Maine Mint
2) 100 Derby Blades
3) Tube of Proraso Green

Left to right, front row
1) 1971 Gillette Super Adjustable - long handle
2) 1972 Gillette Super Adjustable
3) Lee's Safety Razor Pure Badger Brush #1001

Thanks to Lee for the awesome service in getting this brush to me. Realistically, it's not a high-end brush, but the price was great, the shipping, even to Canada was fantastic and fast, and my first shave with it was nothing short of perfect, truly.

Peace,

Pierre

AJS said:
Hi Rik,
The handle I chose is the third one down on the left handside of the Superior website. I got it in Mesa Brown. I was tempted to send in a design of my own, but this seemed easier for my first order. Also, it gives me a reason to place another order with Superior in the near future. After all, if I have one of the handles they designed, it's only right I have one of my own design to keep it company.:biggrin:
How do you like it so far? I look forward to seeing pics of it.

Rik said:
How do you like it so far? I look forward to seeing pics of it.

It's definitely the most densely packed brush that I have had so far. With the Mama Bear soaps it whipped up a great lather, but for some reason I couldn't get the lather on my face. I'm sure it's some mistake I have made somewhere along the line, but not being able to use a brush is an embarassing new low even for me! Apart from that it is a nice brush. The bristles on mine don't have the split ends Joel mentioned, but judging from the shape of the head I would agree it had been trimmed to shape. The handle is excellent, and to my inexperienced eye at least, the fit and finish are top notch. The one negative though, is the fact that it has the most offensive new brush smell I have yet encountered, luckily that's only temporary.
Several, blurry, pictures have been taken but unfortunately they don't do the brush justice. When I manage to resize them I'll get them posted.

Too late to use with today's miserable shave the post lady bought me:
1 x Hydrolast Wet Shaving Cube
10 x Packs of Derby Blades
5 x Packs of Feather Blades
1 x Castle Forbes Lavender Shave Cream
1 x GFT Coconut Oil Shave Cream

Glad to have another Enchante cube again, despite the smell it is a great addition to my mix.

2 Mama Bear bay rum soaps
1 Mama Bear hydrogen soap

man alive, they both smell out of this world! Let's see how they perform starting tomorrow. I'll begin with the bay rum.

Jeff

Sensational Indulgences Mayan Gold Shaving Soap
Sensational Indulgences Gentleman's leather Cologne.
Sensational Indulgences Les Vinaigres des Toilette Aftershave

This came from a UK producer similar to Mama Bear in the US. An amazing selection of fragrances.

Brian

Top Bottom