What's new

Acquisition Disorder

Hi all,

I guess there comes a time in every wet shaver's life where subconsciously, perhaps without even thinking about it, the mind starts to wander off and imagine what shaving luxuries we can buy?

If I'm being honest, that started long before I fully converted to shaving with a double edged razor. I would continually stock up on as many of Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving creams as I could, and starting out with initially a synthetic brush, then bristle and currently pure badger, all served to make initially the cartidge razor shaving a less horrible experience and now the DE shaving a very pleasurable one.

My pay cheque came in the other day, and what with it being my birthday this Friday decided to head online and treat myself to a few shaving treats. Now decided to upgrade to a silvertip badger brush, and bought myself some Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Sensitive Shaving Cream (one of the few I haven't tried in the range) as well as my two old long serving favourites, Mr Taylor's and Sandalwood.

Should have arrived before Friday, as have always had good service from Taylor's. I have taken the day off work on Friday to do something nice for my birthday, I can hopefully start the day off with a pampering session trying one or two of my new toys! :thumbup:

I'll let you know how I get on :w00t:

I know the feeling! I spend all of my idle time on the computer looking up vintage razors and browsing the sites posted here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3779

I just look at various brushes, blades, soaps, creams, aftershaves, pre-shaving equipment and think to myself what the next purchase shall be. Seeing as how I'm completely new to this and enjoying it this much I can only see it getting better.

Hi all,

I guess there comes a time in every wet shaver's life where subconsciously, perhaps without even thinking about it, the mind starts to wander off and imagine what shaving luxuries we can buy?

If I'm being honest, that started long before I fully converted to shaving with a double edged razor. I would continually stock up on as many of Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving creams as I could, and starting out with initially a synthetic brush, then bristle and currently pure badger, all served to make initially the cartidge razor shaving a less horrible experience and now the DE shaving a very pleasurable one.

My pay cheque came in the other day, and what with it being my birthday this Friday decided to head online and treat myself to a few shaving treats. Now decided to upgrade to a silvertip badger brush, and bought myself some Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Sensitive Shaving Cream (one of the few I haven't tried in the range) as well as my two old long serving favourites, Mr Taylor's and Sandalwood.

Should have arrived before Friday, as have always had good service from Taylor's. I have taken the day off work on Friday to do something nice for my birthday, I can hopefully start the day off with a pampering session trying one or two of my new toys! :thumbup:

Welcome to the Dark Side of shaving :biggrin:

We have cookies...

Hi all,

I read the online article The Zen of Shaving, written by one of our members/vendors/moderators and it strikes me that you are experiencing the good feelings he cited in his article.

If you're like me, you accepted shaving as a necessary evil and then discovered a way to enjoy and receive a morale boost from doing this.

In my book this is a very intelligent thing to do that psyches you up for your day and as a result makes you more appealing to those in which you come into contact. It's a worthwhile investment in YOU.

You are getting some good out of the things you purchased. When it gets to that point that you are buying expensive things you don't use, then we can talk about Acquisition Disorder.

Sounds like you are being good to yourself, which everyone should be.

"Disorder" has such a negative connotation.

We need a new term... something along the lines of "Prudent Accumulation Activity" ("PAA").

Suggestions anyone?

First off, Happy Birthday! I agree with California Cajun, being good to yourself is good for you and the people around you, and changing something you do everyday from a chore to a treat is like magic. Enjoy!! :thumbup:

KW - I feel your pain. I have been looking at straight razors for a while now.... I, however, am a poor (soon-to-be) college graduate who has no money.

-ice

KW - I feel your pain. I have been looking at straight razors for a while now.... I, however, am a poor (soon-to-be) college graduate who has no money.

-ice

I remember when I was in your position, and how much more confident I would have felt if I had learned a skill like straight razor shaving and gotten to where I was getting close, comfortable shaves every time out of the box. The way it was, the blades that did a great job one time would irritate my face and shave lousy the next.

To me, presenting yourself to the world the way you would like to be represented is not a frivolous expense. It's an investment I hope you will make as soon as possible.

Some people have admitted to me that they would be afraid to try what I am doing, which means they admire me for doing it. Soon they will see superior shaves and I'm going to feel a well-earned sense of accomplishment when I start every day.

A guy at the office has a "James Bond Theme" ringtone on his iPhone and I told him this morning James Bond doesn't have the guts to shave with a straight.

"Disorder" has such a negative connotation.

We need a new term... something along the lines of "Prudent Accumulation Activity" ("PAA").

Suggestions anyone?

+1 Psychologically speaking a disorder implies that aquiring shaving supplies 1. impedes normal functioning. 2. Causes distress. 3. Is culturally unacceptable.
Aside from the cost, I believe there are far less heathly obessesions out there.

Pete

Interesting question-at what point does it change from a hobby and a personal treat to an obsession? I am trying to keep it in bounds by having enough product to last me for a while and having a decent rotation to keep it interesting, and not going overboard. As with many things in life, easier said than done.:tongue_sm

I have noticed my AD runs in cycles; I'll go along fine just reading and surfing concerning wet shaving, and then some thought enters into my mind as the result of some comment or picture or other stimulus and BAM--it has me. For instance, something urged me to buy a new brush (an Ehsan), but I didn't stop there. Before I was done, I had purchased--from various sources, a brush, a stand, some new A/S, some soaps, some a/s samples, a custom wooden bowl, and other odds and ends.:w00t:

Interesting question-at what point does it change from a hobby and a personal treat to an obsession? I am trying to keep it in bounds by having enough product to last me for a while and having a decent rotation to keep it interesting, and not going overboard. As with many things in life, easier said than done.:tongue_sm

A hobby is a healthy obsession. It's healthy as long as you enjoy it. I'm allowing myself some slack to pursue shaving to the fullest. This is easier to justify than most recreational pursuits because personal grooming is an important part of the package you present to the world.

If it becomes something where I'm just buying things to satisfy the urge to buy and really don't want the items purchased, then it's time to take corrective action.

There have been some purchases I've made after I have deliberately waited for a price reduction, or I feel it is being underrated by the members here, or after I have done some looking around and have determined that something is being offered at a good price.

As a member here, I want a win-win situation for both buyer and seller because shaving wouldn't interest me nearly as much without the fellowship of the group. I think that's important to keep a good vibe going on here. Once I bought a nearly new razor (used four times) for less than half the cost of a new one. I tried to give the guy either one of my nearly new razors in exchange or $20 because even in so doing I would have still made a tremendous deal. He refused, but we had a nice phone conversation afterward. I don't have money to burn but I don't want anyone to think I ripped them off and I don't want anybody to rip me off. I buy from the person as much as I buy the product.

I've found shaving to be a magnificent obsession right now and it has been a great diversion from the daily stresses.

Top Bottom