What's new

Acquisition Disorder End Game

Right now I'm onto the soaps! I have a good rotation of razors. I'll need to PIF the other 5 or 6 I don't use. I want to try all of the big artisan soap makers. Only problem is I can't use the soaps up fast enough and am running out of space. I think my next buy will be some DG and I'll be done for awhile... back onto the thought of razors the H&S NO75 has made it on my list

I used up all the soaps and creams I owned. Took over 8 years. The real eye opener was when I finished off a can of Gillette Foamy—the actual shaves were just as good as any of the oft discussed and highly touted products.

I’m resisting the occasional urge to go back to buying more stuff..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am slowing down in my purchases by joining restraints but I'm still interested in many of the products. I just love artisan brushes so it does take me a while to turn down that beautifully turned brush. As for soaps, I like certain brands, i.e. Stirling, Vikings, etcs. I'll probably stick to those brands and maybe get their newest lines.

Overall, I'm satisfied where I'm at but I wouldn't mind trying out couple of the new stuff. So... no end game for me yet. I feel that this wet shaving hobby will go a long way for me.. hehe

I had AD bad for a lot of years. I finally discovered that despite the hype hysteria of all the new stuff, everything is pretty damn good. I sold or gave away all my vintage/restored razors & brushes & sold all my nice badger brushes because I prefer synthetic now. I’m now down to Timeless and Game Changer razors, Shavemac handles with Synbad knots and a half dozen of my favorite soaps.

I have two boys & my older son shaves with a GC .84 and Mike’s Barbershop. He helped me realize how silly the acquisition disorder was because once he found a soap and razor that worked great for him, he said he wasn’t interested in trying anything else.

Younger son doesn’t shave yet, but I have a .68 & .84 GC ready when he does.
Lucky guys starting off with the good stuff, makes it a lot easier to lock in.

Do you have an End Game?
Joke answer: When I run out of money?

Serious answer: I'm pretty close to my ideal setup, so I've already slowed the rate at which I've bought new gear. I'll still buy a few things here and there just to sate my curiosity. But, most of my future purchases will probably be to re-stock consumables (i.e. soaps/creams, aftershave, blades).

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
In the razor and brush department, I’m good!

in the soap and aftershaves, not that good. I still try to limit myself when I buy something. I generally buy samples as I can try the product and it’s gone. I still buy full pucks but I have so many that they sit there.

Right now, I try to use my soaps and AS until they are done. It’s going down. I will move on to the next product quickly if it doesn’t perform great to start with.

I think that I do like many. I round up the basket to get free shipping.

For someone like myself who shaves once every three to four days, I realized I had enough soap to last me a long time when I emptied out my "beer" fridge, and looked at everything.

proxy.php

The soap in this picture is only part of my collection as my shave den cabinet has about six to seven soaps that are actively being used in my rotation. Once I saw all of my soaps in one spot, I realized I needed to take a break from purchasing soaps. I also have matching aftershaves for almost all of these soaps as well lol.

I've taken a break from razors as well since I have a bunch I haven't had the chance to use yet, and I did just jump in on the Rudy Vey contributor brush, but I should be good on brushes now.

I'm now focusing on enjoying the hobby and experimenting with my gear, and now I'm down a new rabbit hole, which is fragrances ;).

I have too many razors, brushes and soaps. I probably have too many blades as well. I plan on PIF'ing away more (I generally PIF at least one large setup a year), but haven't organized it yet. I could sell some too that I find were a waste of money (like the Toggle).

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I am a favorites guy, so I guess I'm pretty close to my end game at home: 1 razor, 2 soaps, 1 WH, 1 balm, 1 blade. Brushes: 2 boar, 2 badger (travel kit with different razor and soap).

But it wasn't a goal, I just kind of landed here. And if I see a brush or soap that really tweaks my fancy I won't hesitate to buy it. Why not? If you've got the money and space you can do what makes you happy.

For someone like myself who shaves once every three to four days, I realized I had enough soap to last me a long time when I emptied out my "beer" fridge, and looked at everything.

proxy.php

The soap in this picture is only part of my collection as my shave den cabinet has about six to seven soaps that are actively being used in my rotation. Once I saw all of my soaps in one spot, I realized I needed to take a break from purchasing soaps. I also have matching aftershaves for almost all of these soaps as well lol.

I've taken a break from razors as well since I have a bunch I haven't had the chance to use yet, and I did just jump in on the Rudy Vey contributor brush, but I should be good on brushes now.

I'm now focusing on enjoying the hobby and experimenting with my gear, and now I'm down a new rabbit hole, which is fragrances ;).
Wow. That's a lot of soaps.

I guess my shaving soap AD isn't completely under control, because while looking casually at your picture, my eye gravitated to the bottom center part, saw the Barrister and Mann LeGrand Chypre, and immediately my brain started saying "You NEED that, you NEED that," over and over again, lol.

It's like any other addiction, I guess. That primal urge doesn't really completely go away; you just learn how to curb it using your rational mind.

It's really cute how I used to sincerely believe I actually have an end game....

Over the past ~15 months, I've sold (11) and gifted (3) DE razors. Over the past month, I have purchased 2 brand new razors (Rex Ambassador & H&SCo. N075). I now have 4 razors.

Howeva...I also have my eye on several other razors, and (LOL) finally succumbed & submitted a form for a Wolfman (LOL because it'll take a year+ before my name gets called to finalize my order) yesterday. I have accepted that my RAD will go in cycles--accumulate, sell-off, accumulate again.

Thankfully, I'm only this way with razors. All I want out of soap is slickness; I do not chase scent or after shave feel. I sold all my badger brushes over a year ago (though a friend recently gifted me a brand new 26mm silvertip from WCS), moving to all synth at the time. I have 6 brushes and zero desire to buy any more.

Once I saw all of my soaps in one spot, I realized I needed to take a break from purchasing soaps.
You can always start to use some of these soaps as body soaps in the shower. That is what I'm starting to do ! Then afterwards place the wet puck in the bottom of your wardrobe, to dry off, and beautifully fragrant your cloths in doing so, with the soap's 'precious' scent !

Last edited:
With some hobbies, you start out finding what works. Then, oh look, something shiny. And you find that the engineering of the nice one may or may not be as good as what works. That's the hardest lesson to learn - and can be expensive.

Brushes I want one of each brush type that I really like. So far, that's a B9A Declaration Grooming/Dogwood Handle (Badger), Zenith B2 (Boar). (Synthetic is TBD.)

Razors I'd like a few for variety. For adjustables, I'm quite happy with a passed down Gillette Slim. Still looking for something other than the 34c to complement my little razor collection.

Soaps I use soaps to test out new fragrances. I enjoy them well enough, but not excessively, and the idea is only to hold onto a few scents for the longterm.

Top Bottom