What's new

Acquisition Disorder End Game

Without doing an inventory if your motoring at medium to high speed in acquisitions. You know who you are, you don’t just buy one brush, you buy two or four. You don’t buy one or two soaps you buy eight or ten, you get it. Is there an end game for you on your journey? Have you acquired enough that you could even consider an end game? Moving inventory out of the shave den to make room for new products is the fork in the road for me. Yogi Berra said when you come to a fork in the road take it. I see myself with eight favourite brushes, eight favourite soaps, and three favourite razors. You can have all the blades you want. I don’t know how long it is going to take me to get there the ride is a lot of fun. Do you have an End Game?

To me if I were to look at a piece of shaving equipment and I can't remember the last time I used it ...its 1 too many. After a certain point it's just like collecting...all just for show...if it goes wildly unchecked it's just a different type of hoarding.

...but I am a practical type of minimalist.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The only way I know to evaluate shaving products is to use them multiple times and see how they perform.

Having this philosophy means that I end up getting lots of razors, soaps, brushes, blades, aftershaves, etc. By trying a wide variety of shaving products, I hope to begin the process of zeroing in on the products that will make my eventual "short list".

I guess that will have to be my "end game" for now. :)

I have a problem. I can't stop accumulating. I'm hoarding shaving supplies. At least it's not as expensive as guitars and guns.

It still makes me happy to get a new soap or aftershave to use.

I tried giving stuff away, but I can't give it away fast enough, and it's inundating friends who can't use it up either. I tried sending it out to friends, but shipping was getting too expensive. I tried giving stuff to Salvation Army for the men in their program, and I have to figure they can only really use the aftershave. They're not going to go out and buy shaving brushes if I donate used soaps.

I'm seriously thinking about throwing away 20 soaps or so.

I’ve got enough shave supplies now for a long time. That means blades and soaps. I use several razors, actually just three in rotation but one of those most of the time. Soaps and creams should last me a year or two. All I gotta tell myself now is just NO.

I guess when I run out of space and that time is nigh. If they have to be packed away to make room, then I am not going to be able to enjoy them. The wife is not going to let me take over another bathroom.

I've kinda sorta narrowed down to a core of liked products. The bad news is that I have a lot of each of these, lol. I occasionally try some new hardware or software, but I don't buy willy-nilly anymore as if there is an impending shavocolypse

laughs through nose.gif

Right now, my "endgame" (probably more like "middle game") is to 3017 all my partially used soaps one by one until I get it down to 4 or perhaps 5 soaps total, and then go back to a rotation. Once that happens, I will buy a new soap only when I have completely finished one of the 4 (or 5; I still haven't decided whether I want to settle on 4 or 5).

Razor-wise, I have sold two razors in the past month and plan to continue selling razors slowly over the next 11 months or so until I have it down to a more manageable number.

As far as brushes go, I only have four that are in use; that doesn't seem particularly excessive for me, so I'll likely just stick with that.

I only have about 5 aftershaves, so not that much of a problem.

So, it's really soaps and razors, and I have plans and am already enacting them. I finished the first soap I planned on 3017'ing, and I'm two shaves into the next one right now. Onward and upward!

The only way I know to evaluate shaving products is to use them multiple times and see how they perform.

Having this philosophy means that I end up getting lots of razors, soaps, brushes, blades, aftershaves, etc. By trying a wide variety of shaving products, I hope to begin the process of zeroing in on the products that will make my eventual "short list".

I guess that will have to be my "end game" for now. :)
+1

I had AD bad for a lot of years. I finally discovered that despite the hype hysteria of all the new stuff, everything is pretty damn good. I sold or gave away all my vintage/restored razors & brushes & sold all my nice badger brushes because I prefer synthetic now. I’m now down to Timeless and Game Changer razors, Shavemac handles with Synbad knots and a half dozen of my favorite soaps.

I have two boys & my older son shaves with a GC .84 and Mike’s Barbershop. He helped me realize how silly the acquisition disorder was because once he found a soap and razor that worked great for him, he said he wasn’t interested in trying anything else.

Younger son doesn’t shave yet, but I have a .68 & .84 GC ready when he does.

Top Bottom