What's new

Acquiring a true "Shave Ready" Razor

New Koraat razors are delivered with a nice edge.
True. But I found an area of the edge on mine that did not quite meet, in microscopic terms, and was able to fix it with a JNat of approx 17K grit. It's not a complaint, Koraat is doing the job as well as anyone out there, or better, but it is an object lesson in the value of knowing how to hone, and knowing what a proper edge behaves like. It all started with a vague impression that the edge was very good, but not quite what it should be.

True. But I found an area of the edge on mine that did not quite meet, in microscopic terms, and was able to fix it with a JNat of approx 17K grit. It's not a complaint, Koraat is doing the job as well as anyone out there, or better, but it is an object lesson in the value of knowing how to hone, and knowing what a proper edge behaves like. It all started with a vague impression that the edge was very good, but not quite what it should be.
I was able to improve my edge too. Mine came with two very small micro chips that were only just visible with 10x magnification. The chips were imperceptible to me in the shave and I was very happy with the shave readiness of the edge.

There is only so much you can expect from a professional honing service. A hobbyist can devote a lot more time to the task than a pro. The hobbyist can aim for perfect and the professional will likely aim for good enough albeit with more experienced hands. No one is going to spend an afternoon honing a razor for 20 bucks.

I was able to improve my edge too. Mine came with two very small micro chips that were only just visible with 10x magnification. The chips were imperceptible to me in the shave and I was very happy with the shave readiness of the edge.

There is only so much you can expect from a professional honing service. A hobbyist can devote a lot more time to the task than a pro. The hobbyist can aim for perfect and the professional will likely aim for good enough albeit with more experienced hands. No one is going to spend an afternoon honing a razor for 20 bucks.

If I were spending that much on a razor and got an edge I had to re-hone I'd be a bit upset. I bought one from @thp001 that still has his edge, under magnification it looks perfect.

If I were spending that much on a razor and got an edge I had to re-hone I'd be a bit upset. I bought one from @thp001 that still has his edge, under magnification it looks perfect.
Life’s too short to be upset. After waiting four months for the razor I wasn’t about to send it back to Austria for a touchup which I’m sure they would have gladly done. There’s also every chance that I chipped it myself with a dirty strop or something. I can’t say for sure. Easily fixed.

Like Tomo, I didn't have to rehone, I wanted to, because I wanted it to be absolutely perfect. I don't expect anyone to meet that standard, although I have bought a couple of razors that do. Mostly, though, I think of a new razor as a kit. Knives, too, for that matter. I expect to put "my edge" on anything except scissors and peelers.

I have been buying razors off ebay for about four years, and in the 30+ I have bought, only two were what I would say shave ready. First one was a brand new Rigarazor, the second one a Fili14 Sub Cero. Both had incredible edges, but it shows that what is regarded as shave ready varies greatly.

Even new razors from well regarded makers don't always meet our standards. Names that spring to mind with a good reputation for being truly shave ready are Rigarazor, Koraat and Ralf Aust.

I am sure custom makers will also make the effort, but it seems too much to ask from big manufacturers. Once you get your balsa strops set up, you can in most cases take a razor from barely able to shave, to comfortably sharp. In most cases I go straight to setting the bevel, and hone up to 12k, just to be sure. If you then go to the balsa strops you consistently end up with a laser edge.

I was in an antique shop last week, and one seller had 3 straights for sale. His pitch was "I have to charge more for those razors as I have had them honed". The only thing that interested me was who honed them so I could advise him how to hone a straight.
If I was a newbie I would have bought them thinking they were shave ready, and taken them home and would be put off straight razor shaving for life.

I have bought a few razors from the bay. The first two I bought from the same seller had very passable edges and I used them with no issues whilst I accumulated my films etc. No, they weren't as sharp as I'm getting myself, but they did shave without tugging or discomfort. As @Biltong & Boerewors said, my (new) Rigarazor arrived with a sharp, smooth and comfortable edge.

I have also received "Shave ready" razors from the bay that required a lot of work to even get the bevel set. Others that were dull but just needed a touch up.

Caveat Emptor when it comes to buying razors described as shave ready.

Probably too late, but I'd suggest you avail of the kind offer from Steve56. Good luck with your purchases.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You could try member @Johnloc1 who sells on ebay as johnloc1 or maybe ebay seller april7th1089 who seems to be getting more expensive but still has a few lower priced razors. Not all of his razors are shave ready but if he says one is, then it is. You can message him and he will hone the razor you select for I think $25. Johnloc1 has better prices and is in the US. Again, make sure the razor is listed as shave ready. If he says it is, then it is. You can also try www.gemstarcustoms and see what he has for sale, and he also hones for a reasonable price if the razor isn't too far gone. Extra work, extra price. He is a member here, also, @GsSixgun, but it is better to contact him through his website. There are a few other guys around who sell shave ready razors, and you can keep an eye on the BST forum, too, and if you are quick you can pounce on something nice being sold by a member to members. The good deals go fast, though. There are also quite a few guys here who just like to hone, either for free or for a reasonable fee.

Any member with more than a few hundred posts here has a reputation to uphold, and if he says he can hone your razor, he can. Steve has offered for return postage and there's your solution for the razor you got, for now.

When buying a "shave ready" razor online, ALWAYS verify the seller is a bona fide member of the community and either a member of one of the forums, or known and vouched for by many forum members. Knife guys can't hone razors if they don't shave with them. Never trust anyone to hone your razor unless he (or she) shaves his or her FACE daily with a straight razor.

It is far easier to first learn to shave, and only THEN learn to hone your razor. Trust me on this. It has been done, but it ain't nothin purty. Once you have a month of shaves under your belt, go for it. I suggest using The Method if you are capable and willing to exactly and perfectly follow instructions and not deviate from them in the slightest or even bother asking "will THIS work instead of THAT?" sort of questions. The Method is a carefully crafted paint by the numbers system whereby instead of spending months learning to hone, you simply follow the directions and gitter done, usually on the first attempt, practically always by the second. The Method creates an extremely sharp edge even by razor standards, even in the hands of newbies, and the equipment is a lot cheaper than a set of decent stones. You don't begin by learning. You begin by reading and then DOING. Learning will happen along the way.

Having TWO shave ready razors to start with is the best way. When one is dull, send it out. Or try to hone it. While that one is out of action, you still have the other to shave with.

You could try member @Johnloc1 who sells on ebay as johnloc1 or maybe ebay seller april7th1089 who seems to be getting more expensive but still has a few lower priced razors. Not all of his razors are shave ready but if he says one is, then it is. You can message him and he will hone the razor you select for I think $25. Johnloc1 has better prices and is in the US. Again, make sure the razor is listed as shave ready. If he says it is, then it is. You can also try www.gemstarcustoms and see what he has for sale, and he also hones for a reasonable price if the razor isn't too far gone. Extra work, extra price. He is a member here, also, @GsSixgun, but it is better to contact him through his website. There are a few other guys around who sell shave ready razors, and you can keep an eye on the BST forum, too, and if you are quick you can pounce on something nice being sold by a member to members. The good deals go fast, though. There are also quite a few guys here who just like to hone, either for free or for a reasonable fee.

Any member with more than a few hundred posts here has a reputation to uphold, and if he says he can hone your razor, he can. Steve has offered for return postage and there's your solution for the razor you got, for now.

When buying a "shave ready" razor online, ALWAYS verify the seller is a bona fide member of the community and either a member of one of the forums, or known and vouched for by many forum members. Knife guys can't hone razors if they don't shave with them. Never trust anyone to hone your razor unless he (or she) shaves his or her FACE daily with a straight razor.

It is far easier to first learn to shave, and only THEN learn to hone your razor. Trust me on this. It has been done, but it ain't nothin purty. Once you have a month of shaves under your belt, go for it. I suggest using The Method if you are capable and willing to exactly and perfectly follow instructions and not deviate from them in the slightest or even bother asking "will THIS work instead of THAT?" sort of questions. The Method is a carefully crafted paint by the numbers system whereby instead of spending months learning to hone, you simply follow the directions and gitter done, usually on the first attempt, practically always by the second. The Method creates an extremely sharp edge even by razor standards, even in the hands of newbies, and the equipment is a lot cheaper than a set of decent stones. You don't begin by learning. You begin by reading and then DOING. Learning will happen along the way.

Having TWO shave ready razors to start with is the best way. When one is dull, send it out. Or try to hone it. While that one is out of action, you still have the other to shave with.
Thanks for the in depth reply Mr. McCoy, I actually bought a razor from a member on SRP, ran it through a balsa strop progression so I'm sure it was very sharp, still seemed to get a lot of tugging though, must be my technique. I'm trying to use as little an angle as possible and no pressure, is this correct? I will also check out some of the resources you mentioned. Cheers!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks for the in depth reply Mr. McCoy, I actually bought a razor from a member on SRP, ran it through a balsa strop progression so I'm sure it was very sharp, still seemed to get a lot of tugging though, must be my technique. I'm trying to use as little an angle as possible and no pressure, is this correct? I will also check out some of the resources you mentioned. Cheers!
If it was nice and sharp BEFORE you ran the balsa progression, and you did it CORRECTLY, then the razor should not be tugging. Yes, a low shave angle. Did you try to treetop forearm hair? If it treetips readily at 1/4" above the skin, that tells me that your razor should shave nicely. If not, then that tells me maybe your edge needs some improvement. Be sure you are following the directions exactly, in every detail, and do it again, from the beginning. Then double or triple the laps with the .1µ balsa. Don't forget the pull strokes and the short X strokes. Don't forget to hold the balsa IN HAND. Don't forget to turn it end-up and finish with absolutely the lightest pressure. I hope you remembered to lap the balsa properly after mounting it on the acrylic, and to wipe the balsa down after rubbing in the diamond paste. Keep at it. You will get this.

As long as your razor is truly shave ready, it’s your newbie technique. Take it from a fellow newb.

I don’t know how many SR shaves you’ve completed, but it took me 8 to get to where I had what felt like a proper shave. Not a close shave or a good shave, just “a” shave. Before that I had a lot of tugging that led to a patchy, stubbly mess. And that was with a known shave ready edge.

As @Slash McCoy asked, does it treetop arm hair at 1/4” off your skin? If not, run it through the full 0.5-0.25-0.1 balsa progression. Actually do the progression even if it does treetop; it’s surprising how much difference a 2nd run through the progression can make.

Use short strokes (1/2” or so) and try to have the blade moving before it hits your skin. Starting from a dead stop doesn’t work very well. It’s tricky to do and it takes a few shaves to get the hang of it.

Keep at it and the shaves will come to you.

As long as your razor is truly shave ready, it’s your newbie technique. Take it from a fellow newb.

I don’t know how many SR shaves you’ve completed, but it took me 8 to get to where I had what felt like a proper shave. Not a close shave or a good shave, just “a” shave. Before that I had a lot of tugging that led to a patchy, stubbly mess. And that was with a known shave ready edge.

As @Slash McCoy asked, does it treetop arm hair at 1/4” off your skin? If not, run it through the full 0.5-0.25-0.1 balsa progression. Actually do the progression even if it does treetop; it’s surprising how much difference a 2nd run through the progression can make.

Use short strokes (1/2” or so) and try to have the blade moving before it hits your skin. Starting from a dead stop doesn’t work very well. It’s tricky to do and it takes a few shaves to get the hang of it.

Keep at it and the shaves will come to you.
Going to run it through the balsa a second time now, ill update when I'm finished, thanks for the help guys!

Also, does The Superior Shave offer good "Shave Ready" edges? when I decide to buy a new razor ill likely purchase through them, I've heard good things about their store.

Also, does The Superior Shave offer good "Shave Ready" edges? when I decide to buy a new razor ill likely purchase through them, I've heard good things about their store.

Years ago I got a Dovo from Jarrod and the edge was good, he can hone a razor. Problem was the scales were all wonky and I had a hard time getting them replaced. But yes, he can hone.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I wouldn't know about now, but several years ago I bought a couple of razors from him and yes, you could shave with his shave ready edge. I do know that he has changed his honing regimen quite a bit but my guess is his edges are still good. Again, I don't know about now, but when I dealt with him, he honed every razor that he sold.

Top Bottom