What's new

Acqua do Parma question

Hello all
Just purchased the above cream and wondering how others on here like it?
what does it smell like? Is there another similar cream out there for reference?
overall worth the price of admission?
thanks
Joe

Hi, Joe!!

Congrats on your purchase of AdP shave cream!!
To determine the smell, simply open the lid and give it a sniff!!
You should get a great rush of citrus and cologne!
Others similar? Perhaps, but not identical!
Worth the price? Well, let us know if you enjoy the shave!
And, BTW, try out the AdP after shave to accompany!!

acqua di parma fatip omega september 2 2015.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The current yellow tub version is one of the very best creams there is IMO. It’s crazy concentrated, and the scent is AdP Colonia - there are a lot of imitators, some close, hut only one Colonia.

A lot of people like Alvarez Gomez cream, which is a good performing cream with a cologne scent, but its not the same. Dior Eau Sauvage cream is in the ballpark. There are a number of decent knock offs in the scent department, RazoRock XXX, Stirling Piacenza are close, but it’s fairly easy to tell the difference.

I bought mine from Maggards when they had it in stock. Gifts and Care has a better deal but they seem continually out of stock. Blue Mercury seems to have it, but at higher US pricing. Currently, with EU shipping what it is, ordering in the US doesn’t seem as bad.

Hello all
Just purchased the above cream and wondering how others on here like it?
what does it smell like? Is there another similar cream out there for reference?
overall worth the price of admission?
thanks
Joe
You might like Cella Bio in the green tub. Not expensive compared to AdP, but a great Italian shaving cream with a pleasant scent.
cella-bio-1.jpeg

Steve56

I have them both, I’ll stand by my post regarding performance and scent.

I would be happy to send you a sample of the AdP then you can compare for yourself.

Last edited:

I would be happy to send you a sample of the AdP then you can compare for yourself.
Would you be open to sending a sample to me?
lead time where I bought it from says arriving as late as September and if I don’t like I can probably cancel
Thanks
Joe

Thank you, that's very kind of you to offer, but I have enough soaps and creams for the next few years (as I'm sure a lot of people here do). I'm sure AdP is a very good cream.

I really did not want to spark another "which cream is better" or "is it worth the price" debate. The OP asked about similar creams. The higher priced products like SMN, AdP, Boellis, etc. have a lot of fans, but for me the price is difficult to justify.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Cella green is nowhere near yellow tub AdP in either scent or performance.

Thats a bold statement. Cella Extra Extra Bio is quickly moving into my top slot of soaps and creams. The performance is excellent. The scent I really enjoy but it certainly isnt strong.

AdP has been on my list for a while and if I wasnt waiting for three soaps now I'd order some.

Steve56

I didn’t even think about it being a bold statement. I have both of them. AdP is far superior, but if course it costs far more too. That is an opinion obviously, so maybe other folks who have both can offer their opinion too.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I didn’t even think about it being a bold statement. I have both of them. AdP is far superior, but if course it costs far more too. That is an opinion obviously, so maybe other folks who have both can offer their opinion too.

I'm not doubting your experience or opinion. I happen to find Cella Bio a very good soap, possibly the nicest I've yet used so bettering that is a reach but it has happened before.

You also said above that its highly concentrated. Thats the first I've read about that and something I like.

I'm curious which other soaps and creams that you find approach the performance of AdP?

Steve56

I'm not doubting your experience or opinion. I happen to find Cella Bio a very good soap, possibly the nicest I've yet used so bettering that is a reach but it has happened before.

You also said above that its highly concentrated. Thats the first I've read about that and something I like.

I'm curious which other soaps and creams that you find approach the performance of AdP?

If you want AdP Colonia scent, and you should, there isn’t any other option though some are close and quite nice. But they aren’t AdP Colonia and you can tell. If you don’t care about scent, or close is good enough, AdP Colonia loses a lot of it’s shine relative to the price. There is also IMO, very few that others that perform as well, not even the previous 2 versions of AdP.

Of available rivals to the current AdP performance, Santa Maria Novella (not a bad buy considering the quantity), ABC cream (even more expensive and almond scented) or the discontinued ABC hard soap, and 3P ($26 for a kilo delivered to the US from Connaught) are excellent. I like MdC also, the perfectly clean, baby soft skin is fine with me though I understand that for some it is not. Dior Eau Sauvage is closer in scent, a good cream, but doesn’t perform as well as AdP either in shave or post shave - but it‘s much cheaper (~$35 for 150ml) and a classic scent.

There are many, many, discontinued products that perform about as well.

Current yellow tub AdP is highly concentrated, more so than the last 2 versions, which I also have. The salt spoon in the attached image shows enough for a 2-3 pass face shave, If you used an almond sized amount, you’ll need to bowl lather in the sink!.

F9CBBBB2-3CD4-474C-B96A-9D296B906EDF.jpeg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If you used an almond sized amount, you’ll need to bowl lather in the sink!.

A sink full. Now we're gettin' somewhere! haha.

Scent is a high priority but it has to have top shelf performance to match it.

I love the stuff. I just got my order of the yellow tub today. I used to use the older variety and I can tell immediacy upon opening the yellow tub that it is a better consistency than the the original. And the smell! It’s amazing.

One more question;
Where do most purchase this?

I purchased mine from the men’s grooming lounge. I’ve seen it on amazon as well.

Top Bottom