What's new

Acqua di Parma Colonia

I visited my local Sax and picked up a sampler box of the Colonia line. First up I tried the original today. Love it. It's more refined than Fine IC. I'm looking forward to trying the others. I enjoy subtle scents - I don't like to project much if at all.

Anyone have favorites in this line?

I have smelled the entire line several times and I really love only the OG Colonia. Not that the rest are bad...I just have a thing for OG scents like Colonia...which is why I like scents like Floris No89/Special127 or Penhaligon's Douro / Blenheim Bouquet and the list goes on.

ADP is floral? We must be talking about a different product! In the official notes, the only floral note is Rose in the middle notes. ADP is a citrus Mediterranean cologne with a light woody base. Regardless of official genre, Eau Sauvage smells similar to ADP (I prefer ADP). They have many olfactory notes in common

in my skin ADP lasts longer than Eau Sauvage, around 6hs.
According to Basenotes the heart notes are: Lavender, Rosemary, Verbena and Damask Rose.

Bizarrely these are all plants that have flowers, and thus are floral. Weird that.

According to Basenotes the heart notes are: Lavender, Rosemary, Verbena and Damask Rose.

Bizarrely these are all plants that have flowers, and thus are floral. Weird that.

Sure, but you aren't using the flower of Rosemary so it's an earthy green, and Verbena has an earthy lemon scent, so it would be citrus, green, and floral.

Sure, but you aren't using the flower of Rosemary so it's an earthy green, and Verbena has an earthy lemon scent, so it would be citrus, green, and floral.
I don't think any of you have any ideas about fragrance.

Anyway from the AdP website:

20210718_032502.jpg

With a citrusy floral heart from a lavender and damask rose blend

Funny thing the Italian (original) website does not mention flower, just citrus (agrumi). I take it your real interest is definitely not foreign languages?
72247BB6-F344-4899-B424-DB938509257E.jpeg

To those looking to buy AdP, don’t expect a floral scent. Expect a light citrus / green/ herbal scent with a light wood base. Don’t focus too much on the manufacturer’s notes. There are many Fragrances with multiple notes in common that actually smell very different. Also, many manufacturers do not list all the notes used, so it’s not that useful. Only fragrance nerds focus that much on the listed notes.

Funny thing the Italian (original) website does not mention flower, just citrus (agrumi). I take it your real interest is definitely not foreign languages?
View attachment 1298414

To those looking to buy AdP, don’t expect a floral scent. Expect a light citrus / green/ herbal scent with a light wood base. Don’t focus too much on the manufacturer’s notes. There are many Fragrances with multiple notes in common that actually smell very different. Also, many manufacturers do not list all the notes used, so it’s not that useful. Only fragrance nerds focus that much on the listed notes.
I am a fragrance nerd. I am English, why would I be looking at an Italian site?

AdP is a floral Eau de Cologne. All Eau de Cologne's are floral as was the previous incarnation Hungary Water. I have every EdC you can mention and have worked on my own with Lorenzo Villoresi and others.

Eau Sauvage is a Citrus Chypre to me, but on Fragrantica it's listed as a Citrus Aromatic.

View attachment 1298414

Well it's a good job Damask Rose and Lavender in the heart aren't floral flowers.
Doh!

I don't think any of you have any ideas about fragrance.

Anyway from the AdP website:

View attachment 1298411

With a citrusy floral heart from a lavender and damask rose blend

I've been a frag head in the past for several years. Looks to me as if I called it right, citrusy floral, earthy, and woody. Please tell me, in your pedantic view, how this is different from what I said? Other than woody, which I called green (mia copa), it sounds pretty much like what I said, which was that it wasn't just floral.

And rosemary is a spice, but it has a flower. Then again so do citrus trees, so he would argue he was right if it has lemons rather than verbena, which is earthy citrus akin to citronella.
Frag head? But you don't comprehend the composition of top, heart and base notes. Or have any idea on the extraction of Essential Oils and absolutes.

Rosemary for distillation

rosemary.jpeg

Culinary Rosemary

spice.jpeg

Rosemary - The Perfume Society - https://perfumesociety.org/ingredients-post/rosemary/

Oh yes, I forgot you were such an expert, self-proclaimed. This reminds me of the time you decided that SE/DE shaving didn't qualify as traditional wet shaving despite the first SEs showing up in the late 19th century and DEs in the early 20th.

Sorry, not interested in further discussions, they are fruitless with you.
I have no idea what you are suggesting with the link? I can only surmise that your comment about SE is a deflection from your every enlarging hole.

I probably pointed out to those DE shavers who constantly say shaving with carts isn't wet shaving: I shaved for 30 years with carts but now I am wet shaving, that carts are wet shaving, they then come up with but DE is traditional wet shaving. I probably said if you take that line only straight shaving is traditional wet shaving. Are you DE evangelist with an irrational dislike of carts, who proudly state they will never use a Gillette product again, then posts a shave of the day with a brand new Astra blade?

Last edited:
I've been a frag head in the past for several years. Looks to me as if I called it right, citrusy floral, earthy, and woody. Please tell me, in your pedantic view, how this is different from what I said? Other than woody, which I called green (mia copa), it sounds pretty much like what I said, which was that it wasn't just floral.
A frag head? Definitely not from your Fragrance forum posts.

Again, talking to you is fruitless since you are such a self-proclaimed expert on, well stuff, because reasons. I point that out because this is your habit. A bored old man trying to feel self-important.

And for the record, no, I shave with pretty much everything, I have a new Gillette Skin Guard, which I really like, as well as straights and shavettes. I am a fan of many Gillette products and have even challenged those who are completely anti-Gillette on their reasons. You just have a really high opinion of yourself and make a ton of assumptions.

Again, talking to you is fruitless since you are such a self-proclaimed expert on, well stuff, because reasons. I point that out because this is your habit. A bored old man trying to feel self-important.

And for the record, no, I shave with pretty much everything, I have a new Gillette Skin Guard, which I really like, as well as straights and shavettes. I am a fan of many Gillette products and have even challenged those who are completely anti-Gillette on their reasons. You just have a really high opinion of yourself and make a ton of assumptions.
First paragraph, just waffle deflecting that you are incorrect.

Second paragraph, thinking everything I have posted is aimed at you. Who are you? I must be on your radar from your various comments. I haven't a clue who you are!

I haven't made any assumptions about you. You are a non entity to me :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
I love Colonia, but the staying power is not great on me. The Essenza version (black bottle) if also fantastic, and that lasts all day on me. It smells a little different than the Colonia version, so perhaps try to get samples.
Good to know, thanks!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Last week I traded a naggin of vintage kanon cologne for a brand new bottle of Acqua di Parma Colonia. It arrived here last Saturday. I've used it 4 days since getting it, and I am smitten indeed. So much more complex than the knock offs like Razorock XXX, and a gentler scent as well. Really perfect for work. I love how after the initial citrus and green blast it dries down to a clean, soapy scent that lasts nearly the entire day. My wife says she likes it because it doesn't smell like I'm wearing a fragrance- I just smell fresh and clean. High praise from that quarter. I really couldn't be happier.

What is all in the sampler box? I’ve been wanting to try a bunch of different ones for a long time.
I visited my local Sax and picked up a sampler box of the Colonia line. First up I tried the original today. Love it. It's more refined than Fine IC. I'm looking forward to trying the others. I enjoy subtle scents - I don't like to project much if at all.

Anyone have favorites in this line?

Top Bottom