What's new

acqua di parma and sensitive skin?

I recently got a sample of AdP cream. The scent is strong and pleasant, but just like St. James of London creams:
  • The scent lingers forever, even after the shave, and this starts to bother me.
  • It causes a bit of burning and irritation, eventually causing my skin to peel.
Also, just like SJOL, I find the performance is awesome in terms of slickness and cushion.

(I must say though that I actually prefer the scent of some of the SJOL creams.)

I was wondering if anyone else with sensitive skin has this problem. I thought it was the triethanolamine in SJOL that irritated my skin and was hoping I wouldn't have that problem, but here I am. I probably just have to stick with MdC.

I recently got a sample of AdP cream. The scent is strong and pleasant, but just like St. James of London creams:
  • The scent lingers forever, even after the shave, and this starts to bother me.
  • It causes a bit of burning and irritation, eventually causing my skin to peel.
Also, just like SJOL, I find the performance is awesome in terms of slickness and cushion.

(I must say though that I actually prefer the scent of some of the SJOL creams.)

I was wondering if anyone else with sensitive skin has this problem. I thought it was the triethanolamine in SJOL that irritated my skin and was hoping I wouldn't have that problem, but here I am. I probably just have to stick with MdC.

Some years ago I made the mistake of buying a whole tub AdP shaving cream, I had never used it before and I believe it cost me about 60 euro. First shave and guess what, a bit of burning just like you described. Second shave, same thing. Third shave, same thing. It just wasn't a pleasent experience at all. There is an ingredient in it that my skin just doesn't like. In the end I did manage to sell the opened tub but I was very disappointed. Based on my personal experience I'd recommend anyone who is considering to spend his hard earned cash on AdP, to first try a sample.

^ Thanks for the validation. I used it for 3 or 4 days then went back to MdC. My skin feels a whole lot better.

Fortunately, it was a free sample with the purchase of a travel brush. Unfortunately, while I like the looks of the travel brush, I much prefer the performance and comfort of the L'Occitane Plisson that I have using all along.

My experience with AdP has made me feel LVMH is pure marketing. They do spend a lot of money on looks and presentation, but substance is lacking. IMO, XPEC was a much better product.

I have purchased 12 different soaps in the last few months....I honestly can say my Face does Not like about 50 percent of them...So you are not alone...My last soap purchase was fragrance free Noble Otter Bare....My Face is very Happy with that soap!

Adp is 98% marketing, putting skin sensitvity aside, a tube of readily available Palmolive, Nivea or the likes, works just as fine. The older get, the more I realize that for the most part, there is no added benefit to the premium stuff vs the stuff our fathers and grandfathers used for decades. Williams mug soap in the US or De Vergulde Hand, Proraso or Tabac in my part of the world.

Peeling?! Whoa!
I'd definitely discontinue using it!

Shaved with AdP yesterday, in fact.
Fortunately, no reaction on my part; perhaps a mild tingle on the neck.
It's heavily-scented, which is it's appeal.
That may be your issue.

acqua di parma omega thiers issard september 18 2020.jpg

If I've not yet, let me say, Welcome to B&B, Sir Roterodamum!

Caution, as you spend more time hanging around this forum, it becomes very expensive!

But enjoyable!!
No kidding @sarimento1 -- this looks like $10,000+ worth of hardware and software!

Of course, that's a lot less expensive than many other hobbies. :D

Top Bottom