What's new

Acorn TV

My wife just gifted me 12 months of Acorn TV. If you have a subscription what some hidden gems I should check out?

1. Brokenwood Mysteries. One of our favorite shows. After you get familiar with the characters, check out the dead-Santa episode, A Bloody Merry Christmas, in Season 3. A holiday classic for my wife and I.

2. Queens of Mystery.

3. Manhunt (with the guy who plays Doc Martin)

4. Doc Martin.

5. Good Karma Hospital.

6. Chasing Shadows.

7. Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries.

8. Sando. I liked it, wife not so much.

9. Heart Guy. First couple seasons were good, but we lost interest.

10. 800 Words. Like 9, first couple seasons were good, but we lost interest.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Looks like it's $59 a year? This would be a great surprise gift for my wife. She lives for those Brit detective things. Thanks @Buster

Owen Bawn

Some years ago I was in a bar in Galway city on a weekday afternoon, as you do, and I got to talking to these lads- one Scot, and two Germans. They said they were in Galway filming a TV series. Seemed like regular blokes, so we had a few pints and went our separate ways. A year or so later my wife says excitedly that they've made a TV series out of the Jack Taylor books, which she enjoys, and that the first episode was coming on, and did I want to watch it. She said it was set in Galway, and was about a renegade former Garda (cop) who was now a PI. I thought it sounded interesting. Anyway, the thing begins, and I recognize the guy playing Jack Taylor from the bar in Galway a year or so earlier. She said excited and almost angrily "YOU MET IAIN GLEN IN THAT PUB? THAT'S WHO YOU SAID WAS SOME GUY WORKING ON A TV SERIES?" She was emotional. I had a good laugh to myself. I didn't know who he was- he was just another Scotsman in a bar.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

I had a good laugh to myself. I didn't know who he was- he was just another Scotsman in a bar.

Indeed. One of my first jobs, back in the early 80's, was working in a mom & pop convenience store in Westport, CT. I learned that not many things bring humanity to A-list actors, "stars", like seeing them on Sunday morning getting a paper/coffee in their sweatpants, with bedhead, and no makeup.

In 1998(7?) I sat next to Jeff Lynne in an empty bar up in Big Bear, CA one night. We chatted for about 10 minutes before I realized who he was. We chatted between him and his lady friend, and me and my buddy for another half an hour or so. Nice chap.

Last edited:
Looks like it's $59 a year? This would be a great surprise gift for my wife. She lives for those Brit detective things. Thanks @Buster

The majority of shows my wife and I watch are on Acorn or Britbox. The only reason we still have cable is because I want TCM and my wife has some shows she watches. Signing up now to Acorn would be worth it, just to binge-watch 30 episodes of Brokenwood, and 3 seasons of Good Karma Hospital. For those of us who've had Acorn for several years, we don't know when to expect new episodes with Covid.

Thanks for the recommendations. I’ve seen a few like Doc Martin. I’m watching Heart guy And delicious. Prime has these teasers where you can see the first season. then you look at season two and it requires subscription. that happened with Good karma hospital and delicious.

Is there more content on Brit box? There’s a few shows and movies I was looking for on Acorn that are not available.

Acorn is great. In addition to Brokenwood (a fave) we also liked Wisting, Rebekah Martinsson. Line of Duty, Hidden. But my absolute favorite is The Detectorists.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
1. Brokenwood Mysteries. One of our favorite shows. After you get familiar with the characters, check out the dead-Santa episode, A Bloody Merry Christmas, in Season 3. A holiday classic for my wife and I.

2. Queens of Mystery.

3. Manhunt (with the guy who plays Doc Martin)

4. Doc Martin.

5. Good Karma Hospital.

6. Chasing Shadows.

7. Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries.

8. Sando. I liked it, wife not so much.

9. Heart Guy. First couple seasons were good, but we lost interest.

10. 800 Words. Like 9, first couple seasons were good, but we lost interest.

Can't go wrong with anything here. We still watch Miss Fisher, even though it's been reruns for years.

Owen Bawn

My wife tells me that we have both Acorn and Britbox free through our town's public library. That's another gift idea shot down. Back to the drawing board.

The Indian Doctor is another good series I forgot about, especially Series 2 dealing with a smallpox epidemic.

Do Acorn or Britbox offer any limited viewing for free? I suppose the best way to answer this question is to try out their Roku channels. While I might be interested for myself, it sounds better as a gift idea.

I’m enjoying acorn quiet a bit. 800 words is what I’ve been watching recently. Kind of disappointed that britbox has some of the content I’m interested in and it’s not on acorn.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I'm pretty sure Foyle's War is one of those Acorn TV shows. I can't believe no one's mentioned it considering all the history connoisseurs on this board. I can't recommend it highly enough.

1609006974972.png

Man, lots of recommendations on here. I may have to look into this for streaming. My wife and I love British TV, but we usually just watch what comes on Masterpiece on our local PBS affiliate.

Top Bottom