What's new

Achtung Baby!

No, not the U2 cd. I'm just calling attention to the wonderful Rivivage hard soap from Dittmar. I'd been itching to try this soap after seeing some nice reviews here on B&B. I've seen much talk as to whether this soap is the same as Gold-Dachs or Dovo, or if it's just plain Rivivage. Having never tried the two former soaps I cannot say with 100% certainty but I think they must be the same. The label that came with my cake is clearly marked "Spezial and Gold Dachs". The English language warranty lists this soap as "Marke Gold Dachs shaving soap".

Now to business. I love this soap. I was immediately taken with the scent. To my nose it's a creamy/clean/tiny touch of sweet orange/very slight floral scent. It's a busy scent but perfectly harmonized. It immediately relaxed me and made me think of a soothing piece of chamber music.

I must say, this soap nearly jumped into the Omega bader brush. A very dense, CREAMY, stable lather that provided very good lubrication. I've seen some reviewers mention that the lubrication was not quite up to par with some of the better know super performing hard soaps. I did not find this to be the case. I have a dense and tough beard. This Rivivage handled it with ease.

The soap remnants rinsed away easily and the visage was left feeling quite comfortable and soft. The wife used her own Omega brush to lather up and shave her legs last night. She gave it an approving nod. She especially liked the scent. I consider this a very good+ soap. If you know me, very good+/excellent ratings are few and far between. Only a handful of lathers have given me that impression shave in and shave out. This Rivivage is one of them.

I know that some consider it a bit expensive at about $9 per 56g cake. I do not agree for a couple of reasons. A quality hard soap will last months even with regular usage. Most of the Three T's/Harris hard soaps are between $12-20 for the 100g refills. The Trumper refills are "only" 80g and no one seems to be too upset at that. I believe with good reason. These soaps give a value that is all out of proportion to the dollars spent. I think that if you used this soap daily it would still last a couple of months, maybe more. Even including shipping, you're only talking about five or six dollars a month. That's really a pittance compared to the price of canned gels. A second bonus is that the soap literally doesn't last a year or more in an irregular rotation. You get to satisfy the SAD much sooner and boldly test more soaps for your shaving brethren. You see? A man must take a philisophical approach to these things. Give this one a try gents. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Regards, Todd

Todd, you're bang on right about that, it can be confusing. I have both soaps, both Gold-Dachs Spezial and Rivivage, and the 2 of them are wonderful. Me too, my beard's brutally heavy and thick, but these soaps give me a shave fit for a king, and do they ever smell fantastic. Enjoy!!

Jeff

Todd, I'm afraid it is. Rivivage, however is still available. I use my Gold-Dachs soap on a strict rationing basis. Once a month or so.

Jeff

Well Jeff, at least I can still get the Rivivage. It's what I have now and I'm more than satisfied with it.

Ron, good job with the link. I can certainly keep this in mind and may buy them just to lay up for the future.

Regards, Todd

crackstar said:
Ron, thanks a million, I appreciate this great news!

Jeff
Phog Allen said:
Well Jeff, at least I can still get the Rivivage. It's what I have now and I'm more than satisfied with it.

Ron, good job with the link. I can certainly keep this in mind and may buy them just to lay up for the future.

Regards, Todd

Always a pleasure to be able to assist two gentlemen.

Top Bottom