What's new

Achieving a BBS shave. Let's be honest.

I call it your getting married shave something you really only need to do once in life :)

only reason I have been attempting it is to test new razors and in real life I never chase it :)
And gives me a known point to get to or to test to and what is the comfort like at that point

My goal is comfy like ultra comfy no burn no irritation or redness and get DFS/BBS parts kinda thing :)

I can do my cheeks BBS easy so if some parts are smooth and my neck has some barely rough patches in the next to adams apple spot and my upper lip to much pain so single or double pass good enough :)
but I have grey these days and some red/blonde so one of those does not show much anyway

so reckon like many others I do not chase it

I use it rather loosely and have said a %80 BBS in posting at times

DFS for me. In the past 2 years I have stopped using DE razors and switched to injectors, the Broman and (most of all) the Gillette Guard. With these, I get what I think of as a DFS+ shave. I can get this without an ATG pass on my neck. If I chase BBS on my neck I will get ingrowns and irritation no matter what.

Some days better than others....aim for visual goal and minimal irritation. Since I change almost everything w each shave, it's hard to judge. Close to BBS from efficient DE and truth be told, carts2-3 blades provide me with great shaves in a hurry.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I always aim for a DFS, but once I get going, I start chasing the unicorn.

I generally start with two formal passes--WTC and ATG--then begin touching up as needed. This means a ten-minute shave can sometimes take a half-hour, all in pursuit of an utterly smooth shave that will still be visually acceptable 24 hours later.

Hey, I enjoy the chase. Sometimes I even catch the damn unicorn.

I don't like the sand paper feel in small spots by the jaw line and just under post a shave but I don't aim for BBS.

When I shave with a sharp blade and my Mamba 53 - three passes with zero pressure and technique - Shave Nirvana - soft DFS to BBS feel.

On the other hand, for the last week, I used the ATT classic H1. Two pass and touch up with zero pressure and right technique- same result plus it also took off a layer of skin cell in it's nature of shaving. The skin initially feels violated and after nearly 4 to 6 hours get the same feeling of BBS as with the Mamba 53 after the shave !

Sent by the Shave Maharaja from his SM-A705GM using Tapatalk

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have a nickel sized spot on each side of my neck where the stubble grows in a circular pattern. The left side is especially difficult. Some days I can buff that spot in every direction for 5 minutes and not get it smooth. I really don’t chase a BBS. And I don’t shave every day. I shave every shave for enjoyment and pleasure. Some days I go harder than others if that’s what I feel like doing that day. Under my jaw line is quite tough to get smooth as well. I normally get to DFS+ every shave. The rare occasion where I get to a true BBS result is a bonus. It’s the relaxation and morning zen time that is the real goal.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thoughts on this, or any comments I've made here? Are you chasing BBS? Don't care? Getting there? How?

BBS every shave. If I dont achieve it with the tools I use the fault is mine.

The best tools for the job, for me, are:
MMOC/PTFE
Any of my top soaps/creams.

I didnt record my last shave here, but it was Monday evening or night. I dont remember.

MMOC/PTFE for its 4th shave.

WK.

Maggard Synthetic.

~100 hours since last shave. I dont think it would matter if it was around 200 hours.

Single buffing pass ATG. One clean up. The MMOC is all business and this was business as usual.

Nice comfy BBS. What more could be asked for.

I went on a quest for a "One Pass Wonder Shave" a few years ago and set out to achieve it. I wanted a single pass ATG shave with the longest duration BBS I could have. It took some time and learning but I got there and shaved like that for more than two years straight, every shave, even to shave #20 with a single Polsilver blade in my Fatip Grande. The entire process is logged in my journal page here starting on page 5 at shave #7 with my Grande and a Feather blade. I tested more than 30 DE blade types as well as razors, brushes and soaps while I was understanding what worked, what didnt and why.

To make a long story short, the GEM MMOC and a PTFE blade is far and away the best razor I've used for that type of shave. With a fresh blade through shave #4 I can have a nearly 18 hour full and complete BBS. I shaved yesterday morning at 8am with my MMOC and the blades 8th shave and this morning at 630am as I type this feeling my face, my cheeks are still BBS and my neck and under my chin are still a very good DFS shave.

I consider a shave BBS when I can feel around my face ATG with considerable pressure and feel nothing. Right now leaning my chin into the palm of my hand, the curve at the bottom of the face of my chin and the corners of my chin is still BBS but under it on my neck its a still a DFS. I've also checked my shaves before with a cotton ball and it hasnt caught a single whisker at 14 hours post shave.

The more stable the blade the easier it is. The right soap for your skin is nearly as important. To have that kind of shave, in complete comfort, my skin needs to be supple and soft. Not all soaps can make my skin as supple as it needs to be. The razor and blade arent forgiving so my skin needs to be.

I have a nickel sized spot on each side of my neck where the stubble grows in a circular pattern. The left side is especially difficult. Some days I can buff that spot in every direction for 5 minutes and not get it smooth.

I have swirls on each side of my Adam's apple too. My left side swirl and jawline are very difficult to BBS and I have to buff over them in three directions. The left side of my chin to my bottom lip takes 14 strokes to BBS with my MMOC. I only hold the razor in my right hand and I think thats a part of why I need so many strokes.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
"Wow, glass-smooth!"

Clean up the sink, glance in the mirror, notice you're bleeding... 🤔 Reach for alum. Then styptic.

AA

I've called it "Mr. Shiny Face" because when I look in the mirror after and turn my head left and right my skin shines, pretty much like a glass surface.

I dont own a styptic pencil but there have been shaves where I wished I did! Thinking about it now I cant remember the last time I saw any blood on a hand towel when wiping off after shaving. The MMOC makes it easy. Learning to use said MMOC is another story, also a long one because it took me 7 months to learn to use it like I now do.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I've called it "Mr. Shiny Face" because when I look in the mirror after and turn my head left and right my skin shines, pretty much like a glass surface.

they-call-me-mr-glass.jpg

My guess (since I don’t feel other folks stubble) is that my beard is fairly average. Over the years it has also become more wiry as my hair has gone to grey.

I shave daily: 3 passes after a good prep. I gave up chasing BBS some time ago since I am the only person who cares. LOTH here just specifies that I, ‘Don’t scratch!’

If I am not experimenting with new kit and the stars align I get BBS with 20% (roughly) of my shaves! :a29: :a29:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It depends on a lot of things, probably your face/beard most of all. Certainly the right combination of razor/blade/technique for your particular face/beard. I don't have any trouble believing some facial skin will not tolerate ATG without irritation (in fact, I have some on my upper lip).

I use to chase BBS with three passes and a "touch up" pass. The problem became my touch up pass grew to be half my face.

My solution was to outlaw the touch up pass. For many months after, while applying balm, I was unhappy about the lack of BBS on certain parts of my face - often the jaw line. Eventually I found some technique that worked on these areas.

Now my three pass shave is one pass with the razor over each inch of beard (with a tiny overlap for the next stroke). I do blade buffing XTG on my upper lip. I can, and often do, get BBS if my technique doesn't go to sleep. Not all the time, because (damnitall) I'm not perfect.

But I have an easy, consistent grain pattern to deal with, none of the swirling beard growth some have. I can't play par golf, and I try really hard. I don't think we all get the same results with equal effort. And many days now I'm face lathering, and that's only two passes for me. No BBS there, and life goes on. I personally would never tolerate a face full of irritation for a BBS.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The first couple of years of Wet shaving I did not get many BBS shaves and then I changed my prep and my technique had matured enough that reaching BBS or very close to one is not as hard accomplishment it seems.
Even if you reach BBS to me it is still might not be a perfect shave if I have irritation or a few weepers. Sometimes I get the cotton ball out to confirm I have one and 4 hrs later my stubble is starting its journey outward again. I do not chase a BBS and the best way to get a BBS is cheating a little by hydrating using a small amount of Nivea balm IMO because it traps a little more moisture and swells the flesh and skin to bury the stubble which is rooted a little deeper just to give that feeling approximately 1-2 hrs later. Sleeping 8 hrs tends to dehydrate a person so a couple of glasses of water helps the process of moisturizing the person to start the day.
I can reach a very close shave WTG + ATG with some pickups and shaving daily might make a difference to condition the skin?
Don't chase the BBS is all I say and enjoy a close shave and cheating a little with Nivea balm is not always a bad thing to try! :thumbup:
What a BBS looks like with a USB microscope at about 400X.
This is what a BBS looks like............................................DFS......................................................1 days growth.
DFS.bbs  just after a shave! (2).jpg
DFS whiskers looks like 1.5 hrs later..jpg
One days growth of beard (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
Top Bottom