What's new

Ach Brito MUSGO shaving soap

Tried my first shaving soap the Ach Brito Musgo. Very nice and reasonably priced. Any one else had experiece with it?
rsz_img_20220419_183735.jpg

I am just about to finish a puck of Musgo.

One has to wonder why Ach. Brito chose that name; many shavers confuse ‘Musgo’ with ‘Musgo Real’, which is in an entirely different (price) class.

In the beginning, I was quite enthusiastic about Musgo, results were good, and the reasonable price made it quite attractive.
But like many of us, I use several shaving soaps and creams and it took almost a year until the Musgo puck reached the end line.

After a few months, I did notice that the puck started to show cracks (see image) and that I had to work harder to get a good lather from it. Even with my soft water, it became difficult to whip up a nice lather with any of my badger or boar brushes. The ones that continued to handle the soap well were my (Shavemac and Mühle) synthetic brushes, but it had become a soap where you whip up the lather in the shaving mug, as the brush no longer picked up enough product for face-lathering.

In the end, the small puck broke into several pieces (quite unusual for a shaving soap), as you can see on the image. Once you got a lather, it was however the same old, creamy lather that the soap had produced in the beginning.

1650562234422.jpeg

I suspect that the soap dries out and that some of the more volatile components that help whip up an easy lather evaporate.

If I had to pick only one of the less expensive (read: non-Musgo Real) Ach. Brito shaving soaps, I would therefore choose Mogno over Musgo.

Unfortunately, Mogno shaving soap is currently sold out on the Ach. Brito website, but I do hope that this is only a temporary state of affairs, as this is a truly excellent product at a reasonable price that I can only recommend.

Hope this helps,

B.

Last edited:
I like it a lot. Really no complaints, though I have probably only used it around twenty times so far. The scent is similar to Musgo Real, if you are familiar with it. Kind of a woody & mossy scent with vetiver and patchouli (I think). To me, it's a pleasantly masculine scent that is not overbearing. The price is very reasonable, too.

I've seen the beginning of cracks as @Brutus described, but my puck is contained in a round dish and is still in one piece.

I would order it again, for sure.

Musgo’s scent is very Similar to Musgo Real’s scent

Scent aside, Musgo and Mogno soaps are exactly the same. They have the same ingredient lists

I used my Musgo soap a couple of times and it was very good

Hi folks,
Quick heads up:

The Men's Room Barber Shop in Milwaukee seems to have the best price I have seen for Ach Brito Mogno Shaving Soap:
Ach Brito Mogno Shaving Soap - 90g for $6.95. This looks to be their regular price.

Those folks ship fast too; highly recommended (the business AND the soap!)

Musgo’s scent is very Similar to Musgo Real’s scent

Scent aside, Musgo and Mogno soaps are exactly the same. They have the same ingredient lists

I used my Musgo soap a couple of times and it was very good

In my experience, they are clearly not the same, as I bought both shavings soaps at the same time from Ach. Brito and the behaviour and the looks of the two shaving soaps after several months’ use were quite different.

And everyone can decide for himself whether Musgo (on the left) and Mogno (on the right) have the same ingredients list (keeping in mind ingredients are generally listed from high to low concentration) as this image of two pucks, bought at the same time directly from Ach. Brito illustrates:

1650568489320.jpeg

B.

Last edited:

One has to wonder why Ach. Brito chose that name; many shavers confuse ‘Musgo’ with ‘Musgo Real’, which is in an entirely different (price) class.

In the beginning, I was quite enthusiastic about Musgo, results were good, and the reasonable price made it quite attractive.
But like many of us, I use several shaving soaps and creams and it took almost a year until the Musgo puck reached the end line.

After a few months, I did notice that the puck started to show cracks (see image) and that I had to work harder to get a good lather from it. Even with my soft water, it became difficult to whip up a nice lather with any of my badger or boar brushes. The ones that continued to handle the soap well were my (Shavemac and Mühle) synthetic brushes, but it had become a soap where you whip up the lather in the shaving mug, as the brush no longer picked up enough product for face-lathering.

In the end, the small puck broke into several pieces (quite unusual for a shaving soap), as you can see on the image. Once you got a lather, it was however the same old, creamy lather that the soap had produced in the beginning.

View attachment 1443551

I suspect that the soap dries out and that some of the more volatile components that help whip up an easy lather evaporate.

If I had to pick only one of the less expensive (read: non-Musgo Real) Ach. Brito shaving soaps, I would therefore choose Mogno over Musgo.

Unfortunately, Mogno shaving soap is currently sold out on the Ach. Brito website, but I do hope that this is only a temporary state of affairs, as this is a truly excellent product at a reasonable price that I can only recommend.

Hope this helps,

B.
I wanted to order Mogno as well but it is out of stock.

I like it a lot. Really no complaints, though I have probably only used it around twenty times so far. The scent is similar to Musgo Real, if you are familiar with it. Kind of a woody & mossy scent with vetiver and patchouli (I think). To me, it's a pleasantly masculine scent that is not overbearing. The price is very reasonable, too.

I've seen the beginning of cracks as @Brutus described, but my puck is contained in a round dish and is still in one piece.

I would order it again, for sure.
It's interesting you find it Mossy. Musgo means moss um Português.

View attachment 1443551

Hope this helps,

B.
My order of musgo and Ach Brito soaps came in a box marked Claus Porto, which is the company who makes Musgo Real. On the Musgo Real website it states they belong to the Ach Brito Group. I think the Musgo Real brand was revived by Ach Brito and both brand products are made in the same factory.

It's interesting you find it Mossy. Musgo means moss um Português.

The question, of course, is: Does Musgo Real mean Royal Moss or Real Moss?
Real
can mean both, but looking at Musgo Real prices, the former is far more likely. :wink2:

B.

Last edited:
is this a hard/triple milled shaving soap? I remember musgo used to sell a hard shave soap and it was GREEN. Is this the same soap?

is this a hard/triple milled shaving soap? I remember musgo used to sell a hard shave soap and it was GREEN. Is this the same soap?
Very similar, though not exactly the same as the green Musgo Real.

It is a hard soap, but not rock-hard like Pre de Provence. I can be slightly dented in the hand after it gets wet.

Claus Porto is the luxury brand of Ach. Brito, so their version of the soap (Musgo Real) is supposed to be the best (though it is overpriced compared with soaps like Musgo and Mogno).

Last edited:
Very similar, though not exactly the same as the green Musgo Real.

It is a hard soap, but not rock-hard like Pre de Provence. I can be slightly dented in the hand after it gets wet.

Claus Porto is the luxury brand of Ach. Brito, so their version of the soap (Musgo Real) is supposed to be the best (though it is overpriced compared with soaps like Musgo and Mogno).
is the musgo green hard shave soap still available online? I have not been able to find it. I believe it was a 5 oz puck.

Unfortunately, I can’t get it from where I’m from. Have to buy it online and the shipping costs just destroy all hopes. I can get other stuff for better prices.

In my experience, they are clearly not the same, as I bought both shavings soaps at the same time from Ach. Brito and the behaviour and the looks of the two shaving soaps after several months’ use were quite different.
That’s fine, your experience is based on your own context and subjective opinion. Not uncommon to see people having different perceptions about the same product.

Slightly different ingredient orders, but with the same components shouldn’t change the end result that much. Look at Dr Harris. Some soaps start with Tallow, some don’t. No one here thinks they are different.

Ach Brito soaps are made from already saponified ingredients, likely bought from the Far East given the low final prices, and made at large batches. There’s nothing business-wise that would justify creating different bases.

Musgo and Mogno, to me they perform identically, and so does the more expensive Musgo Real shaving soap, which is identical to its younger and cheaper brother Ach Brito Musgo. All very good soaps

Last edited:
Top Bottom