What's new

Ach. Brito Mogno, a new Old School classic

Soap Ach Brito Mogno
Pleasant scent, creamy & slick lather from the soap. Great Stuff!!
20210606_100634.jpg

Welp, it landed today. Hasn't been 24 since my last shave but that didn't stop me. Firstly I was surprised that it was white, in my head I was sure it was green. Funny how those impressions are made. Scent wasn't as expected, which is a good thing. Really like the scent, fresh, sort of cologne like to me. I can't pick out the dominant scents, but I like them. Quick and easy to lather, made a good first impression. I'm pretty quick to be "Nah, not for me." or "Here's another soap for the tub". Pretty slick, decent cushion. I was rushed, so want to try it when I've got a little more beard in. So far, it's a keeper and staying in the rotation.

Edit: I loaded an Omega boar brush off the bar directly and face lathered. Blade was a 5/8 Dorko that's not shaving as smooth as I'd like.

Inspired by @Marco's original post, I decided to give this little brick a test-drive.

First shave today and here are some initial thoughts:

Scent strength: around 3 on a 1-10 scale

Scent profile: very mild, reminiscent of RR Acqua and to my nose Haslinger Schafmilch non-tallow base. Yes, I get some of that "sea breeze" accord, but I literally get zero woody scent, let alone "cologne like". To me it's a simple, linear, unisex, clean scent that would pair great with similarly inoffensive 4711 original. This is literally a scent that can be used as a daily (office) driver.

Performance: solid, say around 6.5-7 on a 1-10 scale. Lather is built easily. It ensures a nice glide and slickness. Clean-up pass with just water and residual slickness works fine, as there's enough fat goodies to provide an easy gliding of the blade.

Post-shave feel: excellent. My skin felt truly wonderful. I rubbed the lather leftovers on my face, as I always do and followed up with a shower and cold water splash. Brito exceeds in the post-shave feel department, compared to its other properties.

Overall: this is an awesome product, considering how dirt cheap it is (at least in Europe). I had a wonderful first shave and am looking fwd to many more.

The $1M question - did Mogno manage to dethrone Cella Bio as my all-time favorite budget soap/cream. A resounding NO, but it's not far behind.

In retrospect, I'd like to extend my gratitude to @Marco for starting this thread. Thank you Sir! 😀

1623788124301.png

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Inspired by @Marco's original post, I decided to give this little brick a test-drive.

First shave today and here are some initial thoughts:

Scent strength: around 3 on a 1-10 scale

Scent profile: very mild, reminiscent of RR Acqua and to my nose Haslinger Schafmilch non-tallow base. Yes, I get some of that "sea breeze" accord, but I literally get zero woody scent, let alone "cologne like". To me it's a simple, linear, unisex, clean scent that would pair great with similarly inoffensive 4711 original. This is literally a scent that can be used as a daily (office) driver.

Performance: solid, say around 6.5-7 on a 1-10 scale. Lather is built easily. It ensures a nice glide and slickness. Clean-up pass with just water and residual slickness works fine, as there's enough fat goodies to provide an easy gliding of the blade.

Post-shave feel: excellent. My skin felt truly wonderful. I rubbed the lather leftovers on my face, as I always do and followed up with a shower and cold water splash. Brito exceeds in the post-shave feel department, compared to its other properties.

Overall: this is an awesome product, considering how dirt cheap it is (at least in Europe). I had a wonderful first shave and am looking fwd to many more.

A $1M question - did Mogno managed to dethrone Cella Bio as my all-time favorite budget soap/cream. A resounding NO, but it's not far behind.

In retrospect, I'd like to extend my gratitude to @Marco for starting this thread. Thank you Sir! 😀

View attachment 1282206

You're very welcome, Sir!

By the way, Musgo is a "must buy" too at this point. :yesnod:

My first bar of Mogno has shaved it's last shave. It's first shave was Oct 17th 2020, and I've used it for 80%-90% of my daily shaves since then. The stuff wears like carbide. It's hard to say for sure how many shaves I got out of it, but I can conservatively say that it was at least 180.

Fortunately, I purchased a new bar to replace it a few months ago. I just finished julienning it and packing it into a twist top shave stick tube. Mogno is officially my favorite soap.

My first bar of Mogno has shaved it's last shave. It's first shave was Oct 17th 2020, and I've used it for 80%-90% of my daily shaves since then. The stuff wears like carbide. It's hard to say for sure how many shaves I got out of it, but I can conservatively say that it was at least 180.

Fortunately, I purchased a new bar to replace it a few months ago. I just finished julienning it and packing it into a twist top shave stick tube. Mogno is officially my favorite soap.

Congratulations!! Nice to find #1!! :a29: :a29:

Just put in my first order for Mogno. Also ordered three sticks of La Toja and a Simpson Trafalgar T2 brush. I already know the La Toja is an excellent soap so I have high hopes for the Mogno and the Simpson

Top Bottom