What's new

Ach. Brito Mogno, a new Old School classic

So as a result of my testing, I was thinking to embed the Mogno Box bottom tray design into a larger box so it will act as a lather bowl and catch all the extra stuff that flails over the side, etc. I will make a lid for this as well to keep the soap fresh. What do you guys think of this design?

I like this idea! Just a thought, but rather than making the soap holding rectangle continuous, you could just do the 4 corners. This way, if water drips over the sides of the bar, it won't be trapped in the small rectangle where it can't evaporate, and will turn the bottom of the bar to mush. Just doing the 4 corners will keep the soap from moving during loading, but will allow the water to flow out into the larger rectangle for evaporation. Just a thought, and I wouldn't claim that's a good one.

Last edited:
Yeah, so the first iteration of the Mogno Box was just like you describe above. But the 3" x 2" space is just too small to effectively load the brush. Unless you are using like a 19mm brush, it is quite unwieldy. Great idea, but in practice it is quite awkward.

I dunno.

I successfully load my brush - direct - from that little 'ol Cella Bio container, and those pretty small Fine containers,
so the size of the Mogno isn't a concern, for me.

I tend to use smaller knots.
My biggest are a Razorock Plissoft (synth), and Omega 11137 (boar) at 24mm.
But all my others are smaller. 19mm-22mm. (best badgers, boars)

Here's an idea: since you are 3D Printing, non-rectilinear shapes & surfaces are a snap.
Incorporate some "side bevels" to give yourself more working room for the brush?
Would also add some mass/weight to the container, which in my view is a good thing.

1617660077349.png

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
yep!

I would maybe drop the “straight” recess at the base down at least 1/2”, maybe 3/4” so as to keep the soap in place, and not move around when loading the brush
The rectangle for the soap is currently recessed 1/2”.

Like this? What do you think?

View attachment 1247176

That looks really beautiful. As a woodworker, this design would actually be reasonably easy to produce in mahogany (mogno is Portuguese for mahogany). The bottom would be resawn 3/8" stock. The sides would be 3/4" mahogany with mitered corners run through a router table with a 45 degree chamfer bit and glued to the base. The spherical bumps would be stainless steel ball bearings recessed and epoxied. I'm watching this design evolve with great interest!

I prefer the simpler solutions, holding the soap in the hand and rinsing it after use, just using the box for storage instead of making a rectangular lather bowl. I don't think it's a great idea to trap a bunch of moisture inside the soap box. You want the soap to stay dry. "Wasting" a bit of soap that cost 4 euros is not a big deal, IMHO.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Okay, last one. I promise! Shaved with the Mogno this morning. I found the version 3 Mogno Box to be too shallow. Plus the soap was taller than the sides of the box, so I would never be able to fit a lid on there. And I don’t like leaving my soaps fully exposed to the air for extended periods of time. So I went back to the drawing board. This version 4 Mogno Box is a bit over 1/2 an inch deeper, and it has a cover. I’m done I swear. This one is perfect. I appreciate all the feedback. And appreciate you guys putting up with my pic heavy posting. Great shave this morning though! The Mogno is a keeper.

E1D5C1C7-11C3-4F06-AB12-6FDA3B20DB42.jpeg

06667DAD-9691-4B1A-B3A0-C814CFD7B347.jpeg

0F729B78-FA20-425B-AC00-AE97F8B82B95.jpeg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Okay, last one. I promise! Shaved with the Mogno this morning. I found the version 3 Mogno Box to be too shallow. Plus the soap was taller than the sides of the box, so I would never be able to fit a lid on there. And I don’t like leaving my soaps fully exposed to the air for extended periods of time. So I went back to the drawing board. This version 4 Mogno Box is a bit over 1/2 an inch deeper, and it has a cover. I’m done I swear. This one is perfect. I appreciate all the feedback. And appreciate you guys putting up with my pic heavy posting. Great shave this morning though! The Mogno is a keeper.

View attachment 1248289

View attachment 1248288

View attachment 1248287

The last one? I really do not think so, you will want to make a box for the new Musgo, too... :yesnod:

Great job, Sir. :thumbup1:

View attachment 1248289

View attachment 1248288

View attachment 1248287
That looks stunningly cool, well done...
Unfortunately I don't have any access to a 3d-printer...

View attachment 1248289

View attachment 1248288

View attachment 1248287

Looks great! Do you plan to upload it to thingiverse?

Top Bottom