What's new

Ach. Brito Mogno, a new Old School classic

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
This was my first day using Mogno. I think there is a little learning curve with this type of bar. I had a good lather initially, but just about ran out in the middle of the third pass. I rubbed the bar directly on my face like Arko. I also did not think my initial outing was a slick as Arko. I have some experimenting to do.

Do you guys rub the bar on your face like Arko? Or do you load the brush directly from the bar?

I was so intrigued with this soap, I decided to design a 3D printed case for mine. I think it came out okay. I used a low resolution for this test so it would print quicker, and i could then verify the fitment. I can most likely get it quite smooth and more finished looking. I made the sides taller than the bar because I was thinking I would load the brush directly from the bar. If its best to just rub the bar on the face, i will probably fit the sides closer to the actual dimensions of the soap. It was a fun little project for this afternoon. Then I come on here to post this, and I see there are already a couple of very recent posts about how to store Mogno. So this is quite timely I guess.

View attachment 1246087

View attachment 1246088

Sir, do you own synthetic brushes? The Ach. Brito soaps just seem to match perfectly with them, literally exploding from a synthetic knot. I love this combo so much that nowadays the Simpson Trafalgar Series is almost all I use with them. It's all quick and easy! And do remember the Italian Master Barbers' Technique (improperly known as my method). :straight:

Beautiful looking case, Sir. :a14:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Sir, do you own synthetic brushes? The Ach. Brito soaps just seem to match perfectly with them, literally exploding from a synthetic knot. I love this combo so much that nowadays the Simpson Trafalgar Series is almost all I use with them. It's all quick and easy! And do remember the Italian Master Barbers' Technique (improperly known as my method). :straight:

Beautiful looking case, Sir. :a14:
Hey Marco. Of course I have synthetics. Even have a Traflgar T3 in the arsenal. My question to you is this... do you literally hold the Mogno bar in your hand, and load the brush directly from the bar? If so I think a very shallow tray would be better for the bottom, and would expose the soap for loading. Then a deeper top cover. Let me model one up and see what it looks like.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hey Marco. Of course I have synthetics. Even have a Traflgar T3 in the arsenal. My question to you is this... do you literally hold the Mogno bar in your hand, and load the brush directly from the bar?

Yes Sir, that is exactly what I do.
If so I think a very shallow tray would be better for the bottom, and would expose the soap for loading. Then a deeper top cover. Let me model one up and see what it looks like.

Not necessary, but certainly a nice idea!

Last edited:
... do you literally hold the Mogno bar in your hand, and load the brush directly from the bar? If so I think a very shallow tray would be better for the bottom, and would expose the soap for loading...
Holding the soap in the hand is really no big deal. It works fine, and lets you easily rinse the soap off when you are done. The container just needs to hold the soap when you aren't using it. Works for round soaps, too.

pdp-lather-4e.png

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Holding the soap in the hand is really no big deal. It works fine, and lets you easily rinse the soap off when you are done. The container just needs to hold the soap when you aren't using it. Works for round soaps, too.

View attachment 1246241

Actually, that is what I also do with all the smaller pucks.

Beautifully loaded brush, Sir. Molto bravo! :thumbup1:

This was my first day using Mogno. I think there is a little learning curve with this type of bar. I had a good lather initially, but just about ran out in the middle of the third pass. I rubbed the bar directly on my face like Arko. I also did not think my initial outing was a slick as Arko. I have some experimenting to do.

Do you guys rub the bar on your face like Arko? Or do you load the brush directly from the bar?

I was so intrigued with this soap, I decided to design a 3D printed case for mine. I think it came out okay. I used a low resolution for this test so it would print quicker, and i could then verify the fitment. I can most likely get it quite smooth and more finished looking. I made the sides taller than the bar because I was thinking I would load the brush directly from the bar. If its best to just rub the bar on the face, i will probably fit the sides closer to the actual dimensions of the soap. It was a fun little project for this afternoon. Then I come on here to post this, and I see there are already a couple of very recent posts about how to store Mogno. So this is quite timely I guess.

View attachment 1246087

View attachment 1246088

Wonderful soap box! I want one too !
I suggest you design small protuberances so as not to stick the soap to the bottom of the box and possibly 3 small holes to facilitate the drying of the soaps. Can you design the lines on the cover vertically to better respect the Mogno logo? You can also try printing a box similar to the photo below, which will make it easier for you to use soap as a Shave stick?
I foamed with Omega boar brush without problems, but I first rubbed my beard directly with soap like a stick.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Wonderful soap box! I want one too !
I suggest you design small protuberances so as not to stick the soap to the bottom of the box and possibly 3 small holes to facilitate the drying of the soaps. Can you design the lines on the cover vertically to better respect the Mogno logo? You can also try printing a box similar to the photo below, which will make it easier for you to use soap as a Shave stick?

Small nubs in the bottom would be easy to do. However I am not yet sure about wanting to pull the soap out of the box to load it. I’m thinking of making the box so I can load the brush from right in the box. But the nubs won’t hurt either way.

I don’t like holes in my soap containers because letting them breath indefinitely kills the scent after a while. I like a nice seal. I just leave my soaps open for a couple of hours to let them dry off before sealing them up and putting them away.

The lines on the cover are not a design. Those are the artifacts left from using a low resolution setting on the 3D printer.

I have not figured out how to make an oval or rectangular push-up container. Just a round one, like for the Arko stick.

Hey Marco. Of course I have synthetics. Even have a Traflgar T3 in the arsenal. My question to you is this... do you literally hold the Mogno bar in your hand, and load the brush directly from the bar? If so I think a very shallow tray would be better for the bottom, and would expose the soap for loading. Then a deeper top cover. Let me model one up and see what it looks like.
@BradWorld I understand your concerns, as I don't like palm-lathering or holding the soap in my hand. Good news is ABM also offers shaving cream.

1617532295493.png

I don't know 3D printing, suggestion see the push-up model from the Tabac stick. But ... the rectangular box (mogno is rectangular unfortunately) only 4 side walls, without lids. Then a small rectangular box, lid at the top.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I rubbed the bar of Mogno on my face like ARKO! It smells better and lathered easier than ARKO!, but made my face burn. It’s currently in a plastic cereal bowl and I’m hoping it will be nicer to me next time.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
So I took all the feedback and redesigned my Mogno case today. I like this design much better. It gives me the option to load the brush right from the base of the case. Or the bar is easier to pick up.for hand loading. I have a couple of tweaks to make, and then this will be good to go. Thanks to all that provided feedback.

Also I took Marco's advice and hand loaded the Mogno with a synthetic brush this morning. Had enough lather for my 3 passes, with enough left on the brush for probably 3 more. Excellent results.

20210404_133607.jpg

20210404_133544.jpg

20210404_133507.jpg

20210404_133441.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’ve used it twice so far like a shave stick. Great lather both times. However it makes my hands very slippery and today it flew out of my hand reminiscent of a flying alum block.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
So I took all the feedback and redesigned my Mogno case today. I like this design much better. It gives me the option to load the brush right from the base of the case. Or the bar is easier to pick up.for hand loading. I have a couple of tweaks to make, and then this will be good to go. Thanks to all that provided feedback.

Also I took Marco's advice and hand loaded the Mogno with a synthetic brush this morning. Had enough lather for my 3 passes, with enough left on the brush for probably 3 more. Excellent results.

View attachment 1246465

View attachment 1246463

View attachment 1246464

View attachment 1246462

Excellent job indeed, my friend! :thumbup:

I rubbed the bar of Mogno on my face like ARKO! It smells better and lathered easier than ARKO!, but made my face burn. It’s currently in a plastic cereal bowl and I’m hoping it will be nicer to me next time.
I suffered the same at the first use! It was because of me, I rubbed too much soap on my rough beard and too much soap was loaded, then I sat with too much foam on my face to soak my beard. Try to load a synthetic slipper from the bowl, and do not stand with foam on your face for soaking (not necessary). The soap is very good and softens the beard almost instantly! I wish you success !

View attachment 1246465

View attachment 1246463

View attachment 1246464

View attachment 1246462

that "groovy" cover is sick!

The 3d printed soap box (which is awesome BTW) made me wonder Ach Brito or Claus Porto make branded shaving accessories. As it turns out, they do. Here is Claus Porto's porcelain soap dish. It'd look even better with a bar of Mogno in it. :)

proxy.php

proxy.php

View attachment 1246463

I've also been planning to make a custom container for the Mogno soap.
My design idea is more old-skool, and will be a "box" made from wood.
the "base container" of mine will be ~1" deeper than the soap, so I can load a brush right from the container,
without loosing too much lather over the sides.
just like Harris's wood bowls, for a comparison.

Fun Project!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I've also been planning to make a custom container for the Mogno soap.
My design idea is more old-skool, and will be a "box" made from wood.
the "base container" of mine will be ~1" deeper than the soap, so I can load a brush right from the container,
without loosing too much lather over the sides.
just like Harris's wood bowls, for a comparison.

Fun Project!

Yeah, so the first iteration of the Mogno Box was just like you describe above. But the 3" x 2" space is just too small to effectively load the brush. Unless you are using like a 19mm brush, it is quite unwieldy. Great idea, but in practice it is quite awkward.

Today I used the Mogno again. Except this time I held the Mogno Box base in my left hand with the soap in its cradle. Then I loaded the brush with my right hand. I lost very little soap over the side as compared to holding the soap directly in my hand.

So as a result of my testing, I was thinking to embed the Mogno Box bottom tray design into a larger box so it will act as a lather bowl and catch all the extra stuff that flails over the side, etc. I will make a lid for this as well to keep the soap fresh. What do you guys think of this design?

Screenshot 2021-04-05 170642.jpg

Top Bottom