What's new

Ach. Brito Mogno, a new Old School classic

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm looking forward to this. I've tried the Musgo Real shaving cream but not the soap.

After having already used the Classic cream several times and sniffed the Classic soap recently received, I can confirm that cream and soap have EXACTLY the same (fantastic!) scent. :thumbup:

I have some Ach. Brito Mogno on the way! I'm excited to try it.

In case any one else is interested, the best price I found in the US was at the web store "The Men's Room Barber Shop". They're a Badger and Blade supporter which was a big plus. They offer it for $5.95, which is about $3.00 cheaper than anywhere else I could find it. Even better, the shipping was only $3.95, so the total cost was $9.90 shipped. If I like it, I'll pick up 2-3 more pucks before they change the price. :)

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gentlemen, I have just finished my very first shave with the Musgo Real soap and it has been MAGNIFICENT, from start to finish.

I am a bit in a hurry now because today I'm attending my niece's Holy Communion. Therefore, more details and considerations to follow afterwards.

Meantime, I want to tell you that, because of today's special event, I absolutely needed a special "royal" shave. Hence, I used my Simpson Duke 2 Best, loaded the Musgo Real soap (Real = Royal), took my Mühle R89 razor and put a brand new King C. Gillette blade in it. To finish, Alum Block + D.R. Harris Windsor aftershave. :euro:

I used the Mongo soap on my face today and it’s great lather didn’t get super thick. And I have used slicker soaps but all around this is a good soap with good slickness and good protection. My face feels really nice.

I tried it a few times now. It lathers easily and smells great. However this is the only soap i tried in quite a while I had several nicks after the shave. And this happened 3 times. Thats very weird for me tbh. I usually dont have nicks.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Second consecutive shave with the Musgo Real soap and, just like the first, it has been SUPERB.

Now, the head-to-head comparison: Musgo Real puck Vs Mogno bar.

As already declared, these two AMAZING soaps are both manufactured by the Ach. Brito company, with Musgo Real being part of the luxurious "Claus Porto" line, while Mogno being part of the basic Ach. Brito line.

The two soaps share a very similar ingredients list and perform very similarly, too.

The lather from the Musgo Real puck is minimally better, in terms of richness and slickness. These differences are so subtle that I think some wet shavers probably won't even notice them... However, after having used Musgo Real two days in a row and Mogno many times already now, I can detect that ever so slightly superior performance of Musgo Real.

But again, both are amazing soaps and both are worth having (the DIFFERENT and outstanding fragrance of the two alone justifies keeping both).

My ratings are:

Musgo Real 10+
Mogno 9 1/2

Last edited:
...Now, the head-to-head comparison: Musgo Real puck Vs Mogno bar...

...But again, both are amazing soaps and both are worth having (the DIFFERENT and outstanding fragrances of the two alone justifies keeping both)...
Marco, I'm glad to see you have come to the correct B&B conclusion:
"When given a choice between two compelling alternatives, always choose both."
:laugh:

Looks like you cannot go wrong either way.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, I'm glad to see you have come to the correct B&B conclusion:
"When given a choice between two compelling alternatives, always choose both."
:laugh:

Looks like you cannot go wrong either way.

Yes Sir, that is correct!

Anyway, my suggestion is to buy the Mogno first, being so inexpensive. If you like it, only afterwards get the Musgo Real, too. :wink2:

Havent tried the Ach Brito soap but have had the Musgo Real Classic Triple Milled soap for some time now and it is excellent. Aparently there were some reformulations in the past but they got their stuff together some years back. Will keep this one in mind since top tier triple milled soaps seem to be a bit of a dying breed these days.

I have some Ach. Brito Mogno on the way! I'm excited to try it.

In case any one else is interested, the best price I found in the US was at the web store "The Men's Room Barber Shop". They're a Badger and Blade supporter which was a big plus. They offer it for $5.95, which is about $3.00 cheaper than anywhere else I could find it. Even better, the shipping was only $3.95, so the total cost was $9.90 shipped. If I like it, I'll pick up 2-3 more pucks before they change the price. :)
I got my hair cut there for maybe five years until my stylist moved and then I moved. I’ve been doing self cuts recently with moderate success lol. I’ll have to remember Mens Room the next time I place an order. I’m sure local small businesses could use the support now.

My Ach Brito Mogno just arrived in the mail tonight, just in time for a Sunday morning shave. I have to say, I'm already impressed. Although I own a few dozen soaps, I can honestly say that this is the first time I've ever been truly impressed by a scent. I think @Marco has been to modest in his praise.

I've since opened the box a dozen times just to place the scent. It smells like several of the soaps and aftershaves that I already own, however after testing them against it, it became readily apparent that it didn't smell like them, the other soaps were merely aspiring to the clean cologne/barbershop scent that Mogno has achieved. I don't know much about Ach Brito, but they are clearly not amateurs! :)

That said, I haven't shaved with it, which is the only thing that matters. If the shave is on par with it's scent profile though, it will have earned a permanent place in my rotation. 👍

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My Ach Brito Mogno just arrived in the mail tonight, just in time for a Sunday morning shave. I have to say, I'm already impressed. Although I own a few dozen soaps, I can honestly say that this is the first time I've ever been truly impressed by a scent. I think @Marco has been to modest in his praise.

I've since opened the box a dozen times just to place the scent. It smells like several of the soaps and aftershaves that I already own, however after testing them against it, it became readily apparent that it didn't smell like them, the other soaps were merely aspiring to the clean cologne/barbershop scent that Mogno has achieved. I don't know much about Ach Brito, but they are clearly not amateurs! :)

That said, I haven't shaved with it, which is the only thing that matters. If the shave is on par with it's scent profile though, it will have earned a permanent place in my rotation. 👍

My wife and 8 years old son are so much in love with the Mogno scent that they have asked me to buy the bath soap, too. So, today I've placed an order for 3× Mogno bath soaps and added 3x Musgo Real Classic bath soaps as well! :thumbup:

I've finished my second shave with Mogno and I'm incredibly impressed. It's among the best soaps I have ever used. The lather is extremely slick and almost "creamy". When it comes to residual slickness, it's in a class by itself. I'm pretty sure I could do an entire pass relying soley on residual slickness (no re-lathering). The post-shave feel is also excellent, it's exactly what I'm looking for in a fall/winter soap. I've already said it, but the scent is simply perfect. The $5 price is an absolute bargain boot.

Mogno is exactly the soap I've been looking for. Thanks for bringing this wonderful soap and it's history to our attention @Marco. :)

Also, as far as value is concerned, the $5 price is even better when you take into account how hard the puck is. It resides somewhere between Arko and triple milled soap in hardness. Using my dovometer, a tool used to measure croap and soft soap hardness, it gives a reading of 19mm on a 1-20mm scale. To offer a relative comparison, Stirling Agar is 2mm, and Arko measures 11mm. All of this is to say that I expect this 100mm puck is going to give an awful lot of shaves!

Last edited:
I've finished my second shave with Mogno and I'm incredibly impressed. It's among the best soaps I have ever used. The lather is extremely slick and almost "creamy". When it comes to residual slickness, it's in a class by itself. I'm pretty sure I could do an entire pass relying soley on residual slickness (no re-lathering). The post-shave feel is also excellent. It feels almost like I've added a bit of lotion, which is exactly what I'm looking for in a fall/winter soap. I've already said it, but the scent is simply perfect. The $5 price is an absolute bargain boot...
Thanks for the report. Have you tried the La Toja stick? I'm wondering how the Mogno compares with La Toja? It's another one of those soaps that performs much better than the price would lead you to expect.

Thanks for the report. Have you tried the La Toja stick? I'm wondering how the Mogno compares with La Toja? It's another one of those soaps that performs much better than the price would lead you to expect.

I did try La Toja stick a couple of years ago. I know that many folks love it, but it didn't really click for me. I'm not sure if it was my hard water, but I never got the slickness I was looking for out of it. It seemed less protective than my other soaps, and I always seemed to get nicks or weepers with La Toja. Probably operator error.

If I'm not mistaken, I think @Marco is a big La Toja fan. Some soaps click and some don't based on our different shaving styles, skin, whiskers, and equipment. This actually improves my impression of Mogno; Marko and I probably have very different shaving style/skin/whiskers, which leads us to have different impressions of La Toja, but despite that fact, we both found Mogno to be superb.

This leads me to believe that Mogno would be an outstanding soap for a great variety of skin/whisker types and shaving styles. :)

Last edited:
I like Mogno enough that think I'm going to 3017 it (shave with it exclusively until gone). I want to see how if holds up to my initial impressions, to see whether I can dial it in even better, and to see how long it lasts. Currently it has been pressed into a shave stick and has a net weight of 120g). I'll try to remember to check back in a month or two to report subsequent impressions.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I did try La Toja stick a couple of years ago. I know that many folks love it, but it didn't really click for me. I'm not sure if it was my hard water, but I never got the slickness I was looking for out of it. It seemed less protective than my other soaps, and I always seemed to get nicks or weepers with La Toja. Probably operator error.

If I'm not mistaken, I think @Marco is a big La Toja fan. Some soaps click and some don't based on our different shaving styles, skin, whiskers, and equipment. This actually improves my impression of Mogno; Marco and I probably have very different shaving style/skin/whiskers, which leads us to have different impressions of La Toja, but despite that fact, we both found Mogno to be superb.

This leads me to believe that Mogno would be an outstanding soap for a great variety of skin/whisker types and shaving styles. :)

Sir, you are correct: I'm a huge fan of La Toja. Actually, La Toja and Mogno are my top 2 budget soaps and both perform at the highest level, on a par with the finest and more expensive triple milled soaps.

La Toja, in order to produce its very best and effective lather, needs to be loaded heavily. Try "super face lathering" it by both rubbing the stick onto your wet face and, in addition to that, pre-load your damp brush, too. Then, apply the pre-loaded brush to face and combine the two. This "super face lathering" works like a charm for me. Please, give it a try and let me know.

Also, if you love Mogno, most probably you'll love Musgo Real Classic as well! :yesnod:

La Toja, in order to produce its very best and effective lather, needs to be loaded heavily. Try "super face lathering" it by both rubbing the stick onto your wet face and, in addition to that, pre-load your damp brush, too. Then, apply the pre-loaded brush to face and combine the two. This "super face lathering" works like a charm for me. Please, give it a try and let me know.

That may well have been the problem. La Toja was only the second shave stick that I had ever used (Arko being the first). Arko is notorious for producing buckets of lather with very little rubbed on the face. It's likely that based on this experience, I was significantly under-loading La Toja. The "Super Face Lather" technique sounds very promising! I think it's high time I give La Toja another try. :)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
That may well have been the problem. La Toja was only the second shave stick that I had ever used (Arko being the first). Arko is notorious for producing buckets of lather with very little rubbed on the face. It's likely that based on this experience, I was significantly under-loading La Toja. The "Super Face Lather" technique sounds very promising! I think it's high time I give La Toja another try. :)

Excellent, Sir! :thumbsup:

By the way, I've just got an e-mail notification confirming the shipment of my Ach. Brito Mogno and Musgo Real Classic bath soaps.

Top Bottom