What's new

Ach. Brito Mogno, a new Old School classic

I got my Mogno soap on Thursday. I also ordered the Mogno cream just because. I really like how the Mogno soap lathers almost instantly. It stays slick and I love the scent. I had to use quite a bit of water to get the lather where I wanted. It smells like a classic cologne. It's light, inoffensive, and fades fast. The shave was close and overall comfortable. The Mogno cream is also a great latherer. You can either rub the block of soap on your face and then take the brush to your face, or take your brush to the soap for awesome results either way.

My Mogno soap arrived today. It'll be on tap for tomorrow's shave, I believe. BTW, this is unsurprising given the Ach Brito connection, but this appears to be the same formula as the current - and excellent - Musgo Real soap formula. I'll give a review after I get a use or two under my belt.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review Marco. Sounds like another fantastic soap. Love the black and white photo as well.

Having used this soap a couple of times, I am very impressed with its performance. The lather formation is quick and effortless, and the glide is absolutely outstanding. It does indeed perform much like the current, and excellent, Musgo Real soap. For me, there's a bit of irritation from this formulation, which I'd previously hoped was from the scent ingredients in Musgo Real. Instead, I now wonder if it's the talc in the base. Regardless, the shave it yields is fantastic. I love the scent. Fantastic soap.

I'm nearly done my 3017 project, and I need some new soaps to refill the den. I love supporting hard soap makers; we're drowning in a sea of croaps these days (not that I'm complaining).

It looks like there are some good CONUS sources now, including Italian Barber and Fendrihan. They both had it for $9.00/bar. I think I'll add a bar to my next IB order to hit the "free shipping" threshold... :)

It looks like there are some good CONUS sources now, including Italian Barber and Fendrihan. They both had it for $9.00/bar. I think I'll add a bar to my next IB order to hit the "free shipping" threshold... :)
Gifts&Care in Spain has Mogno for around 3.5 euros per bar. They also have a nice selection of other Euro hard soaps. The savings are enough to make up for shipping costs once you buy a few soaps.

Gifts&Care in Spain has Mogno for around 3.5 euros per bar. They also have a nice selection of other Euro hard soaps. The savings are enough to make up for shipping costs once you buy a few soaps.

Interesting. You weren't kidding when you said they had a great selection. Great prices too. They've got Haslinger's for nearly 1/2 the price I'm used to seeing it. Do you know know if they ship to CONUS?

Last edited:
Interesting. You weren't kidding when you said they had a great selection. Great prices too. They've got Haslinger's for nearly 1/2 the price I'm used to seeing it. Do you know know if they ship to CONUS?
Yes, they use the Spanish Postal Service and that includes a tracking number. I ordered from them about this time last year. Shipping on my order was about $9.00 and it took ten days from Spain to Virginia. Rates may have gone up since then.

They do indeed ship to the US! Here are their shipping rates in case anyone was interested. Very reasonable. I'm always baffled when I can get an order shipped from 4,000 miles away cheaper than I can send my niece a 3oz package 50 miles away... :)

proxy.php

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gentlemen, I have just received a Musgo Real puck, along with other two bars of Mogno. For those who do not know it, Musgo Real is branded "Claus Porto" and, as such, is part of the luxurious line made by Ach. Brito. Therefore, both Musgo Real and Mogno are actually manufactured by Ach. Brito. Giving a look at the ingredients lists of these two shaving soaps there are a lot of similarities. But be careful, they are not identical, just close in terms of formula. In the next coming days, I'm going to test the Musgo Real puck and provide here a head-to-head comparison with the Mogno bar. Stay tuned.

In the next coming days, I'm going to test the Musgo Real puck and provide here a head-to-head comparison with the Mogno bar. Stay tuned.

I'm excited for this one. I'm planning to order a bar of Mogno from G&C. I saw that they carry Mogno as well. I think I'm going to hold off on ordering to see how the duel unfolds. 👍

Granted, there is a 10x price difference, so I'm not sure I'll buy Mogno if it proves victorious, but if Mogno wins or even holds it's own, I'll buy 2 bars instead of one. :)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
You can just get the refill for around 15 euros. You don't need the fancy container.

View attachment 1165810

Sir, the prices you provide are correct: I paid the Musgo Real puck around €16, while the Mogno bars did cost roughly €4 each. However, we must also consider that the Musgo Real soap weights 125g, while the Mogno soap weights only 90g. Considering this, it is safe to say that the Musgo Real puck costs 3x the Mogno bar.

Sir, the prices you provide are correct: I paid the Musgo Real puck around €16, while the Mogno bars did cost roughly €4 each. However, we must also consider that the Musgo Real soap weights 125g, while the Mogno soap weights only 90g. Considering this, it is safe to say that the Musgo Real puck costs 3x the Mogno bar.

My mistake. The Musgo Real that I saw included a bowl and was listed at 45 euros. I'm pleased to see that Musgo pucks alone can be had for 15.

That's a very reasonable price considering it's triple milled. I'm leaning towards buying one of each. :)

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My mistake. The Musgo Real that I saw included a ceramic bowl and was listed at 45 euros. I'm pleased to see that Musgo pucks alone can be had for 15.

That's a very reasonable price considering it's triple milled. I'm leaning towards buying one of each. :)

Yes, a Stainless Steel bowl that, honestly, looks nothing particularly attractive, IMHO. I definitely would have preferred a wooden bowl, ideally made with a traditional Portuguese wood and the company's logo engraved on it. :wink2:

Top Bottom