What's new

Ach. Brito Mogno, a new Old School classic

could someone post the dimensions of the rectangular Mogno hard soap?

thinking of trying the soap (have the cream and like it) and wanted to look for a suitable container to keep the soap in to load from. Preferably wooden, with a lid.

thanks!

could someone post the dimensions of the rectangular Mogno hard soap?

thinking of trying the soap (have the cream and like it) and wanted to look for a suitable container to keep the soap in to load from. Preferably wooden, with a lid.

thanks!
Slightly smaller than a typical small bar of bath soap

Size: 5.5 x 8.5 x 2.5 cm (2.25 x 3.25 x 1 inch)
Weight: 90g (3.2 oz)

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
My bar was purchased in August 2020 and lasted about 5 months. I always load very heavily, so my pucks are literally "eaten up" by my dense brushes... I use the Marco Method. :gunsmilie:
That seems about right. I am using your method as well. Haven't yet put a dent in it.

This makes me wonder, why would anyone buy anything else? Are there any other soaps that are this dense?

That seems about right. I am using your method as well. Haven't yet put a dent in it.

This makes me wonder, why would anyone buy anything else? Are there any other soaps that are this dense?
Pre de Provence, Provence Sante, Osma Tradition, Klar Seifen, Golddachs are some that are similarly dense. Mogno is the value for money champ, probably.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

In the same very low budget I'd say La Toja and Haslinger.

In the mid range Musgo Real, D.R. Harris and Captain Fawcett's.

In the premium price Saponificio Varesino.

All of these have a permanent spot in my den. :thumbup1:

So, I have purchased two bars of Mogno. Since it's a bar soap and not a puck, I am curious as to thoughts about how best to apply - loading the brush from the bar, or spreading over the face like a stick.

It also seems to be able to take a lot of water.

So, I have purchased two bars of Mogno. Since it's a bar soap and not a puck, I am curious as to thoughts about how best to apply - loading the brush from the bar, or spreading over the face like a stick.

Build a lather in your hands, as though you were washing your hands with the shaving soap. Take the lather you made, and apply it to the face. You can optionally lather it up further with your brush, if you wish.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

I just grated it into a bowl.

Ach. Brito has a new shaving soap, called Musgo (not to be confused with Musgo Real).
As they don't provide the ingredient list in the website, I directly asked for it. I attached the technical file provided (in Portuguese).

Interesting....why would they come up with a completely different product called Musgo when they already have Musgo Real? If this is a different product they perhaps should have picked another name for the sake of confusion. The white label is different from the green box. Not sure but its great the folks at Ach Brito have new products on the drawing board and glad to see them finally getting a bit of internet buzz. Thanks for letting us know about this one will keep an eye out!

Interesting....why would they come up with a completely different product called Musgo when they already have Musgo Real? If this is a different product they perhaps should have picked another name for the sake of confusion. The white label is different from the green box. Not sure but its great the folks at Ach Brito have new products on the drawing board and glad to see them finally getting a bit of internet buzz. Thanks for letting us know about this one will keep an eye out!
It's called Mogno (Mahogony). I think they are trying to appeal to the more youthful customers with a different brand. It is also a lot cheaper, though the ingredients look very similar to Musgo Real hard soap. Mogno is like 4 Euros for a 90g bar. @Marco says Mogno performance is quite close to Musgo Real hard soap, which costs four times more in Europe.

For those with the Mogno bar, I read that you can load your brush from the bar in a side to side fashion versus a circluar motion. Is anyone doing this and if so, how does it work?

For those with the Mogno bar, I read that you can load your brush from the bar in a side to side fashion versus a circluar motion. Is anyone doing this and if so, how does it work?

Works fine just rotate your brush a little every few sweeps so you get soap on all the bristles evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sliced mine into 1/4 inch strips and put it in a plastic screw bottom shave stick tube from Maggards.

Also, I can confirm this thing lasts forever. I've been shaving with it pretty much exclusively since Nov and I'm not even 1/3 through it.

So, I have devoted all my shaves this week to my newly acquired bar of Mogno. So far, I have put the bar into a rather large bowl I have for to load the brush and face lather. I am using a Razorock Big Bruce synthetic.

I soak the brush and let the excess water drip out and go to town. Wow! This is soap really produces a rich, thick lather!

It's a winner in my book!

Marco - thanks for another great suggestion!

Top Bottom