What's new

Acca Kappa Misto Tasso Badger

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I currently have 4 boars, Omega 10066, 10290, 10049 and a KohI Noor, 3 synthetics, Omega S10005, Vikings Blade White Knight(the Boss), Razorock Bruce Plissoft, a Cremo Horse hair, and an Acca Kappa Misto Tasso Badger that I was given as a gift.

After wet shaving for 10 months I am getting pretty fond of my brushes and can build a great lather with all of my brushes, but my newest brush, the Acca Kappa Badger is not meeting my expectations yet. Oh, I can build a great lather with it, but it doesn't seem to hold the lather very well. I have only used it 8 times to shave, but have built practice lather with it a dozen more times.

My Bruce puts it to shame, with my Omega 10066 and 10290 being my favorite boars.

I'm not sure if it still needs a hundred shaves or more before it breaks in, or if it is just a cheap badger that will collect dust. The Koh I Noor single band boar that I was given at the same time broke-in after just 2 shaves.

I have been using TOBS, Arko, Proraso, WMS, MWF, Mike's Natural soaps, TFS, and What the Puck Orange Sunrise.

Recently I have stepped up to Acqua Di Parma and MdC Agrumes, and noticed quite a difference on the post shave feeling, so now I am looking at also stepping up to a nice badger.

I have been looking at an Omega 622 Silver Tip Badger, as I prefer small to medium brushes, nothing over a 24mm knot and 55mm loft, and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions.

I know the Simpson's get great reviews, but I have small hands so the Chubby handles are a deal breaker for me, and the Wee Scott is probably a bit too small.......
omega-tortoise-pure-badger-brush 622.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I agree about the Chubby handles which do not suit me at all. If you are intent on Simpson then the Duke series are superb, I have a Duke 1 Best as my travel brush as it fits the smaller Simpson travel tube. I have a Duke 3 Manchurian and it is one of my absolute best brushes, but not inexpensive. The Simpson Classic 1 or 2 might suit you as they have all the density of a Chubby but with a smaller handle.

...my newest brush, the Acca Kappa Badger is not meeting my expectations yet. Oh, I can build a great lather with it, but it doesn't seem to hold the lather very well.

I just received an Acca Kappa boar and am experiencing the same thing. Face lathering, I can get one pass worth of lather applied, then whatever is in the brush vanishes. I've tried bowl lathering and the lather just disappears into the brush. More product doesn't seem to be helping. What I've had the most success doing is lathering with a minimal soak, and getting as much water out of the brush as possible. Adding water to the mix is risky. I soaks right into the brush, taking the lather with it.

Too bad, because the brush FEELS great.

Last edited:
I suggest you consider some of the more statuesque Simpsons options. These include the 50 series, Harvard, Persian jar, Tulip and Polo series, among others. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I suggest you consider some of the more statuesque Simpsons options. These include the 50 series, Harvard, Persian jar, Tulip and Polo series, among others. :thumbup: :thumbup:
I have actually been looking at a Persian Jar 2 PJ2 Silver Tip, and a Persian Jar PJ2 Super Badger, along with the Omega 622 Silver Tip.
I'm just trying to decide which one would compare the closest in size, with either my Omega 10066 or 10290 the best, as those two get the most use, not considering price at all.
I really do like my Omega boars, but I want to spoil myself a little and get a nice brush............

Sir Doug, sad to hear your Acca Kappa brush is not that great; they are best known for colognes, not for brushes.
Perhaps just re-gift or PIF it.
However, I can attest that the Omega badger you're eyeing is great!!
Also, enjoy your avatar, especially at tax time!!

tabac omega feather july 28 2018.jpg

proraso merkur feather april 10 2017.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Sir Doug, sad to hear your Acca Kappa brush is not that great; they are best known for colognes, not for brushes.
Perhaps just re-gift or PIF it.
However, I can attest that the Omega badger you're eyeing is great!!
Also, enjoy your avatar, especially at tax time!!

View attachment 1041898

View attachment 1041899
Believe it or not I figured out what I was doing wrong and the Acca Kappa held enough lather for three passes last night. I was soaking it just like my boars, when I ran across a thread that said not to soak badgers. I made sure that I only dipped the tips in my water mug and treated it like one of my synthetics, that was all it took!

Looks like I am gonna have to wait on the Omega 622 as it sold out at Maggards before I could order it, so I am on the waiting list. I did however, spring for the Persian Jar 2 PJ2, will report back when I get it.

HP sure made some nice programmable calculators back in the day, I got my 41CV early 80's when I was programming NC mills.......

Top Bottom