What's new

AC Razors, do they really sing?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have been wanting to try a SE razor, and one of the closest shaves I had was with a Feather Professional Artist Club SS.

As I already have a box of ProGuards I have been considering an ATT SE1, as they advertise "This razor is easy to master because the shave angle is very intuitive. In addition the razor “sings” like no other. This audible feedback is helpful in maintaining a proper shave angle."

I feel the SE1 option is best for me even though I am a fan of OC razors.

My favorite DE razor is a Piccolo SE, but I also have a Mk1, and a Schöne in my Fatip arsenal, along with a Gillette NSC, a Merkur 15C, and a GC OC84 to round out my OC collection.
I also have a GC68P, and GC84P, a few Flare Tip's and Tech's, so any comparison's with any of these razors would be helpful...............

I guess my question would be are there any other AC razors that I should be looking at, and do they SING?

I would check out a Vector. I’ve personally yet to try one, but all the reviews seem great. I had a General V2, but it was to mild for me. I’ve also tried the Aslyum Rx and it was to aggressive, however I believe there is another model in the works.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
As I already have a box of ProGuards I have been considering an ATT SE1, as they advertise "This razor is easy to master because the shave angle is very intuitive. In addition the razor “sings” like no other. This audible feedback is helpful in maintaining a proper shave angle."

I saw that. While it does have some feedback, it ain't on a scale of Wardonia, I'll say that. (I also notice at least one other razor on their site is described exactly that way. Not criticizing!)

I feel the SE1 option is best for me even though I am a fan of OC razors.

I can speak to that. I have (once again) both the SE1 and the SE2. I also generally prefer OC razors but I'm starting to understand some of the nuances of SBs. The SE1 is a smoother shaver in my experience than the SE2. With a Proline the SE2 is ferociously close and will leave you with a glass-smooth shave. That level of intimacy made me a little nervous, so I picked up some ProGuards. The SE2 is a tractable shaver now.

I just tried a ProGuard in the SE1 and it gave me a very good shave. No nicks, cuts or weepers. No irritation except for one spot where it's inevitable. There is some "singing" but it doesn't seem as prominent as with other razors for me. Still, it's easy to find the sweet spot.

My advice is to go for it. It's a good razor. If you buy new you get 30 days to try it out. Whether you buy new or used, it's a razor that's well known and will hold a fair share of its value should you decide to sell it on. Since the SE1 and SE2 are the only AC razors I have used I can't speak to others. There are some very interesting interpretations out there.

O.H.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Is there a particular reason that audible feedback is at the top of your list for a new razor?
I think my reasoning is that my favorite SR is a Geneva Full Hollow that sings to me like no other razor I have, and I have only used an AC blade in a Feather Professional AC SS. It gave me my first WOW!!!

I want to see if an SE razor can give me a more comfortable and close shave than with my DE razors, and the AC format appeals to me the most at this time. I have never used an SE razor, so at this time I am still looking at what is available.
Please tell me more about your razors, as I have not made a decision yet.

The only razor that I have used that even remotely resembled an SE was a Gillette Trac II that I used in the 1970's........

I can't say that I've ever noticed my SE1 "singing" any more than my Razorock Hawk, Blackland Vector or a number of Gem razors, which give a lot of audible feedback. However, it is an excellent SE razor, as is the Vector.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I can't say that I've ever noticed my SE1 "singing" any more than my Razorock Hawk, Blackland Vector or a number of Gem razors, which give a lot of audible feedback. However, it is an excellent SE razor, as is the Vector.
My SE1 came in and after just one shave, I will have to agree, it doesn't "sing" like a straight. I was actually pretty quite, and when I got the angle just right it just whisked away the stubble with very little feedback.
I will say this is an efficient razor......

The quality of workmanship is superb.
20200222_155656[1].jpg20200222_155727[1].jpg20200221_165401[1].jpg

My SE1 came in and after just one shave, I will have to agree, it doesn't "sing" like a straight. I was actually pretty quite, and when I got the angle just right it just whisked away the stubble with very little feedback.
I will say this is an efficient razor......

If you think it's efficient with those blades, wait until you use a Schick Proline, they are the best! SE1/Proline is all I use these days.

You can hear the razor if it's completely quiet in the room.

Who carries them?

I get them from Japan.

Typically half or a third of the price than US vendors.

Pick small packet shipping, takes about 11 days to get to me in the US.

Once you place your order, you have to wait for an email for payment, usually about 24 hours.

I haven't ordered in a while, I have a good supply of them, but that's how it worked.

If you just want to try them, I believe www.tryablade.com sells them individually.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thanks, I might try the Feather Professional AC blades first, then the Shick Proline.

I'm still pretty new to this razor, only 2 shaves so far, and have found a steep angle and light touch to be working so far. I had thought that this razor would shave shallow, but when I tried shaving shallow it seemed the cap raises the blade off of my skin and the razor starts to tug.
I have just started shaving steep with my DE's and getting great result, but using more pressure. The ATT SE1 really seems to reward a light touch.

I still have a dozen Proguards, so I am in no hurry, plus I still have my DE's........

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I get things shipped from them just as fast as I do from Japan to the US, Japan is still the better deal for Prolines.
Connaught took 3 weeks last time I used them, no tracking either. The schick proline p-30 rakuten, small packet seems the most reasonable.

I just paid for some Schick P-30's from Rakuten; chose small packet delivery as recommended in a couple threads here. $33 +change shipped for 3 dispensers.

Just wanted to add: After I paid for my order, a banner appeared on the main page of Rakuten stating all shipments via EMS specifically but also "other methods" delayed due to coronavirus. Connaught is more expensive, but I wonder if that is the quicker route to go for the foreseeable future. Basically, I don't expect to see my Prolines for a while.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I just registered with Rakuten and placed an order. Their website didn't like my Chrome browser, so I had to use Edge. That took me 15 minutes. Still waiting for the confirmation email so I can pay and wait..............
After reading your note about the delays, I decided to order from Connaught. It literally took me 30 seconds to place and confirm the order.

Last edited:
Yep, if I needed something within, say, a month, I'd order from Connaught too. The way Rakuten works, at least when paying via Paypal, you have to wait until you get a follow-up email to pay. If you elect to not pay, order simply cancels. I'm not concerned right now, but we'll see how I feel about things a couple weeks from now & no shipping notice, LOL.

Between my Wizamet DE blades order from Morocco being a no-show thus far (and no tracking scan since Feb 14), and the delay from Rakuten, obtaining blades has been somewhat iffy for me lately, hahaha.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I just finished my order from Rakuten, they are $5 cheaper than Connaught. I should have plenty of AC blades by the end of next month...... After 4 nice shaves and getting a feel with the SE1, I put a new Gillette Platinum in my Piccolo Mk1 to compare the shaves..........

Top Bottom