What's new

AC Blades

While there are fewer choices for an AC blade compared to a DE blade, the differences between blades seems to be more substantial. To my knowledge, DE blades are consistently the same size (although I have a vague memory that there may be one blade that is slightly wider than others) and have no unusual features. AC blades, on the other hand, can be thicker, wider or have "guards" on the blade.

I have three AC razors, an aluminum Hawk V2, a stainless steel Hawk V3 and Classic Shaving's Enoch. I have used Feather Pro, Feather Pro Super and Schick Proline blades in each of them. In my quest for the closest shave, I get the overall best results from the Hawk V3 with the Pro Super blades, but that comes at a price. No cuts, nicks or irritation, but it is not a comfortable shave. The Super blade is both thicker and wider and it is not a smooth shaver. In the Hawk V2 or V3 I found the Super blade too uncomfortable to use. The closest shave with the Feather Pro or Schick Proline is with the Enoch, and it is not only quite close, it is also very smooth. I give the Proline a very small advantage with regard to smoothness but find those two blades to be equally efficient.

I haven't tried any of the blades with guards as I assume that they will be less efficient. What about Kai blades? Where do they fit in the range of AC blades? Are there any other AC blades out there?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
While there are fewer choices for an AC blade compared to a DE blade, the differences between blades seems to be more substantial. To my knowledge, DE blades are consistently the same size (although I have a vague memory that there may be one blade that is slightly wider than others) and have no unusual features. AC blades, on the other hand, can be thicker, wider or have "guards" on the blade.

I have three AC razors, an aluminum Hawk V2, a stainless steel Hawk V3 and Classic Shaving's Enoch. I have used Feather Pro, Feather Pro Super and Schick Proline blades in each of them. In my quest for the closest shave, I get the overall best results from the Hawk V3 with the Pro Super blades, but that comes at a price. No cuts, nicks or irritation, but it is not a comfortable shave. The Super blade is both thicker and wider and it is not a smooth shaver. In the Hawk V2 or V3 I found the Super blade too uncomfortable to use. The closest shave with the Feather Pro or Schick Proline is with the Enoch, and it is not only quite close, it is also very smooth. I give the Proline a very small advantage with regard to smoothness but find those two blades to be equally efficient.

I haven't tried any of the blades with guards as I assume that they will be less efficient. What about Kai blades? Where do they fit in the range of AC blades? Are there any other AC blades out there?

I like Kai blades - DE & AC.

The AC Pink Mild with Guard matches nicely to my Hawk V2 and ATT SE1.

The Feather Pro blades matches up to the Occam's Razor.

YMMV

Schick Proline blades are way better than Feather Pro, pro Super or Kai blades for my beard and is all I use. I prefer Kai over Feather if I had to pick one.

ATT SE1 with a Proline is my weapon of choice.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
There's a whole weed-covered rabbit hole in there somewhere, I'm positive. :cuppa: I'm probably headed there in a couple weeks or so...

As for blades...

I've used the Feather Pro, ProGuard, and Schick Proline. The Feather's ability to apparently lose its edge after about four shaves got me looking at the Proline. The Proline turned out to be a bad idea for me at the time. I tried the Feather ProGuard and switched razors and it seems to work OK up to nine or 10 shaves.

As for razors...

I started with an ATT SE1 and SE2. Traded the SE1 for an S2 which was a really good thing. Decided to give AC another whirl, so found a good deal on an SE1 Windsor. Also picked up a V3 and V3OC for a bit of variety once I go off down that path.

I find the Windsor SE1 clamps the blade better than the SE1 did. That's to the good. My next task is to pick up some more variety in the blades with some Kai products. Then I can do some shaves and see what happens for me.

O.H.

When I started using AC razors two or three years ago I employed the Schick Proline blades, mostly because they were widely recommended. They proved to be an excellent blade, and I would still recommend them to anybody new to the AC format.
However, I have since acquired a wide range of other blades, piffed to me or included in purchases of pre-owned AC razors, and found them all to be just about as good as the Prolines. Feather Pros, Feather Pro Supers, Kai Captains and Kai Pinks have all done an excellent job and I still use them all. Some might be slightly better in one razor than another (Kai Pinks in my SE1, Pro Supers in my Vector and Mongoose, Prolines in my General) but the differences are small and can be compensated for through minor changes in technique.
I haven't used the Kai Captain Sharp or Kamisori blades and would like to do so, but I suspect they would be just about as good as all the others I have tried.
I have found there to be much more variation in the quality and characteristics of DE blades, a few of which I find to be really unpleasant to use.

Top Bottom