What's new

AC Blade Durability Overhyped?

I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong, but I’m not seeing the claimed durability increase of AC blades in practice.

So far, I’ve used Proline, KAI Captain Sharp Blade, and Feather Pro with the same results. First 2 or 3 shaves (face and head) are utterly brilliant. After that, they fall off dramatically & become tuggy and uncomfortable.

My hair is not tough/wiry & I get 5 or so face and head shaves from most of my favorite DE blades (Polsilver SI, Astra, Feather)..

Anyone else feeling like these durability claims are not in line with reality? I love these razors (polished CG V2 & Hawk V3) and want to keep using them, but the blades are way more expensive & so far, not matching the durability I expected.

I get far more BBS shaves from DE blades than SE blades! I've gotten 60 BBS face shaves from an Astra SS, the equivalent of well over a hundred face shaves from a Polsilver Si(28 face and head shaves). That being said, my skin condition after using SE blade is so much better that if I got only one good shave from a Proline it is well worth it.

I don't use DE razors anymore, it's not about how many shaves I get from a blade, it's about my skin condition after. I get 20-30 BBS shaves from a Proline in an ATT SE1, my skin is in much better condition after the shave than any DE blade I've used.

For me, SE is far superior than DE, whether it's Injector, GEM, or AC, Proline's are the best AC blades and my favorite platform.

Blade longevity isn't the main reason I now prefer AC-type razors. I just find they give me a closer, more comfortable shave with less effort. However, I'm puzzled that other people don't find they last longer than modern DE blades, because I certainly do. The only DE blades I've used with a similarly long lifespan are some of the vintage Wilkinson Sword, Gillette and Personna ones. YMMV, maybe.

Doing your face and head is a lot of shaving. I would say that 3 shaves is pretty good, especially if you are doing 2 or 3 passes.
When I used an AC, I used to get about 6 shaves out of them but I only shave my neck and only do 2 passes.

When I had my V1 SS General I used Prolines exclusively and average 20+ shaves per blade.

@eyesofgrey , I would suggest maybe you look into your technique a little more as most SE's don't have as large a sweet spot to use and if you are off just a little it will give the effect that the blade is bad. I think to my advantage I only used the V1 SS General and no other SE and there was no having to remember which razor I was using to make sure I had the angle of attack right everytime I picked it up. I at one time had a problem when I switched between 4-5 different razors at a time and my technique paid the price of all the switching. I have since sold everything else off except my Timeless Ti95DC so all guesswork s out the door now and nothing but BBS every shave out!!

Thanks for the feedback. I really like the AC blade setup & will keep working with it to see if I can extend the life of the blades.
End of the day I’m still way cheaper than carts, but I’m blown away at some of the longevity claims.

Interesting...my experience does not match OP's at all. I don't have a thick growth of facial hair, not by a longshot, but what I do grow is like copper wire. I am not able to comfortably use any DE blade for more than 6 or 7 shaves.

Meanwhile, I am currently using a Schick Proline in my Vector that now has 13 shaves. Maybe it'll just fall off a cliff, but I am ecstatic these are performing for me like this. I know it wasn't asked about, but I'm also still using a 'Chick' injector blade that now has 16 shaves on it. I am loving both these formats (likely due to blade rigidity), and both afford me sleek razor heads that make me feel like I'm driving a race car on my face.

I guess this is another YMMV case. I easily get 3 weeks of daily shaves on the Chinese Schicks. Feather AC blades last me a good 10-14 shaves. Even the Feather FHS-10 in a OneBlade lasts me a week as long as I dry and flip the blade after each use. I'd classify my beard as neither wiry nor soft--just middle of the road average. I've learned over the years that the thicker SE blades give me closer, more comfortable shaves than DE razors.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Angle is going to factor in, for sure. I managed to kill a Feather Pro in three head shaves by using it steep angle. Up until recently I was more in danger of running out of blood before I could use an AC blade enough to bin it. [grin]

But I've got a Proguard I just got 10 good shaves out of, which is a victory. I tend to get five plus one "I shoulda binned it" shave out of most DE, pretty much the same with Gem.

O.H.

Top Bottom