What's new

AC Blade Differences on Modern SE Razors

I'm currently waiting for my RR Hawlk V3 standard razor to arrive and I decided to order it with the AC Light Blades to reduce the blade exposure since I'm not familiar with AC blades. Is there much difference between the AC Light and Pro for the modern SE razors like the Hawk?

Yes. The AC light blade is terrible. IMO.

I would rank the AC blades in this order, from best to worst:

Kai Mild PINK
Schick Proline
Feather Pro
Feather Pro Super
Feather Light
The first two are quite a bit better than any of the Feather blades, IME. I don't like guarded blades, but if I did, I would choose the Kai first and then the Feather.

Yes. The AC light blade is terrible. IMO.

I would rank the AC blades in this order, from best to worst:

Kai Mild PINK
Schick Proline
Feather Pro
Feather Pro Super
Feather Light
The first two are quite a bit better than any of the Feather blades, IME. I don't like guarded blades, but if I did, I would choose the Kai first and then the Feather.

Thanks, I was hoping to get the Kai Mild PINK but settled on the Feather Light because I just can't seem to find Kai in stock anywhere in Canada. I can get the Schick though so I will probably order them soon and I might have to put in an order at Maggard's and hope I don't get nailed with duty.

I'm currently waiting for my RR Hawlk V3 standard razor to arrive and I decided to order it with the AC Light Blades to reduce the blade exposure since I'm not familiar with AC blades. Is there much difference between the AC Light and Pro for the modern SE razors like the Hawk?
The Feather Soft Guards (pink packaging) are pretty good and available in Canada. Better than the Feather ProLights (green packaging) IMO. The SoftGuards in a Hawk v3 was quite mild but a good shave.

Sounds great! Where can I purchase the Soft Guards? I've seen them at a few US sites but not on any Canadian ones yet.

I really like the Kai protouch guarded blade for a newbie to AC blades. They give me a great first to third shave but then get a little dull for me, so I have moved up to the Kai light pink or proline, both excellent. Enjoy the Hawk.

I really like the Kai protouch guarded blade for a newbie to AC blades. They give me a great first to third shave but then get a little dull for me, so I have moved up to the Kai light pink or proline, both excellent. Enjoy the Hawk.

Thanks, I've ordered some Pinks and hope to have them soon.

Related question about blades for those more familiar than I with the modern non-straight or kamisori style AC razors. Most seem to hold the blade using pins through the holes in the center portion of the blade. The way the blades were originally designed to be used, the blade was supported at the spine. The different types of blades had different blade exposures since they were all starting from the spine and extending out, with the Feather Pro Super being the one with the most exposure.

I haven't checked or compared the blades, but I am guessing the holes in the blades are pretty much centered in all of them. I am wondering if that means that in a razor like the Vector, the increase in blade exposure from a Feather Pro to a Feather Pro Super is basically half of what it would be in a AC straight razor (holes being in the center, so half the blade is on one side of the pins and half on the other. Is that correct? I may not have explained my question very well, particularly if you are not familiar with how the blade goes into a AC straight or kamisori.

Thanks!

Related question about blades for those more familiar than I with the modern non-straight or kamisori style AC razors. Most seem to hold the blade using pins through the holes in the center portion of the blade. The way the blades were originally designed to be used, the blade was supported at the spine. The different types of blades had different blade exposures since they were all starting from the spine and extending out, with the Feather Pro Super being the one with the most exposure.

I haven't checked or compared the blades, but I am guessing the holes in the blades are pretty much centered in all of them. I am wondering if that means that in a razor like the Vector, the increase in blade exposure from a Feather Pro to a Feather Pro Super is basically half of what it would be in a AC straight razor (holes being in the center, so half the blade is on one side of the pins and half on the other. Is that correct? I may not have explained my question very well, particularly if you are not familiar with how the blade goes into a AC straight or kamisori.

Thanks!

I believe that the increase is strictly on the blade so the increase in blade exposure should be the same.

This video explains the difference and I hope it answers your question.

I believe that the increase is strictly on the blade so the increase in blade exposure should be the same.

This video explains the difference and I hope it answers your question.

Thanks for this. Seeing the blades side by side, it is clear that the holes in each are in the same spot towards the spine of the blade, so the increase in blade exposure probably would be the same in a SE AC razor as in a straight razor AC.

I have a Hawk v2, and some Schick Prolines coming in, but not used uet. I did use a Feather Pro, which gave a comfortable shave, but not with a long lasting result. I also tried the combi with a Feather Pro Super blade, but that was an uncomfortable shave from the start, and not a blade I will use ever again. I gave it 4 tries, with the same unpleasant feel every shave.

Once I have received my Prolines, I will also exchange a few for some Kai Pink blades, and see how they perform in this razor. I have good hopes for the combination with the Prolines

I'm working on my first Feather Pro still and I'll try the Prolines soon. I also have some Kai pinks coming so I'll give those a try later. I think Prolines will probably work the best and I can always use my Pinks in my AC if I don't like them as much in the Hawk. That's one advantage of having multiple razors!

Top Bottom