What's new

Absurd pricing in the wild. Any stories?

Gents,

I finally ran across a halfway decent nest of razors out in the wild. An Aristocrat (plating loss,) a fatboy, a slim marketed as a Milord as it happens to be in a Milord box, and a decent looking autostrop. Oh, and a bent-toothed New. What's the problem, you say, with this bounty of shaving goodness? Here's the rub: The Aristocrat was priced at $100, the fatboy $55, the "Milord," 40, autostrop 70, and the bent-toothed New.. . . . . . . . . . . . . $100. :blink: Seriously. None of them cleaned. All of them with funk.

Anyways, it got me wondering. What's the craziest prices you've seen out in the wild? Share the worst of the worst.

Simple straight razor with a black handle, the name wasn't familiar, the blade was broken IN HALF and they wanted $45.

Some people think that any old is work big money, I won't pay anything for an Auto Strop.
I got a couple in a drawer that I got in a lot.

I saw a Rolls Razor with a broken hone, badly damaged strop, no blade, and no handle for $75.00. I just laughed when I saw the price tag.

You can thank eBay for the ridiculous prices. Most sellers go there to find out what something is worth today, then they put the most optimistic price tag on it.

I do appreciate eBay, but it has destroyed the junk hunting experience. I used to constantly hit junk stores in the early '90s and there were always treasures and bargains out there. I suppose I got lucky - I managed to pick up a bunch of antique furniture for a song because most of it needed refinishing and/or upholstery. I did that myself and wound up with pieces I'll have for a lifetime.

I only regret that I didn't pay much attention to the literally hundreds of razors I came across. Oh well.

R

rainman

I've been seeing the NOS gillette super adjustables going on ebay for less than used ones. Maybe people are paying more for their birth year perhaps?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Seen a few straights at an antique store that were rusted, pitted, and the cutting edges were so chipped they looked like saw blades...$30 to $50.

For some unknown reason I see Rolls Razors in all kinds of conditions priced from $5 to $75 in antique co-ops.:confused1

I agree, I think antique stores see the shiny Rolls case, and think they can charge a ton for it. I bought a nice clean near mint Gem razor for 4 bucks and the same store had a Rolls Razor in bad shape for $150.00! They also were selling a single Rolls blade for $25.00?!

An antique mall I visited had a Schick Injector for $75. At another booth in the same mall I saw an identical one for $10 (still passed, and ended up with another identical one in a lot that was under $5 IIRC).

Today I was in an antique store and saw a cased ball Tech for 75 that with severe plate loss. In the same store, I bought an aristocrat (i think a 50's) for 3 bucks...no plate loss.

There is a flea market around me and there is a guy who runs a inside booth/corner who is completely off his rocker when it comes to prices. He has a Gillette display case like this:
proxy.php

and wants $100 for it with the top glass badly cracked in more than two pieces. I picked one up for ~$30-40 shipped from the 'bay
proxy.php
which sadly got dinged in transport, but still looks great. If this guy would come down to the same price, I'd swipe it up in a second, but he won't, and so this display sits literally behind a bookshelf out of sight to anyone who doesn't know to look for it.

As for his razor prices, ZOMG. He wants $40 for a Durham Duplex, citing it's "ivory" handles.

This weekend I found a guy at a different flea market who has some Weck Sextoblades in his "stash", and hopefully I can grab them.

Top Bottom