What's new

Absolutely Painful

A tin of Haddo’s that has been aging nearly 20 years is dry as a funeral drum from right out of the tin. Check it out.

226A66F2-D72C-4120-9F4F-2B6FDD277B88.jpeg
76CF7CBD-BE99-4293-A7EE-7D1FD503859C.jpeg
5C8655F9-F274-4735-A2F0-D3B350166A96.jpeg

I am trying to rehydrate it now. So disappointing. Check your tins, Brown Leafers!

Sorry to see this. I've experienced that sinking feeling. I recall some of the GLP tins from the early 2000s having issues which have since been addressed.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I've had a couple of tins like that over the years and I've been able to rehydrate them back to something quite pleasant and smokable. Not the 100% optimal experience I was hoping for, but definitely still a well aged tobacco that I enjoyed.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Look at the third picture. You can see holes in the bottom of the tin.

Pin holes. Now I see it. A bad break.

Had that happen with some canned cola a few years back. Whatever they put in it ate through the can wall. At least with fluids, you know when it happens.

I would definitely try to re-hydrate it. It should still be smokable, if not sublime.

That's a shame. It looks almost as if there was no lining on that can bottom, just straight metal. They seem to have fixed that at some point, at least judging by the tin of Cumberland from 11/20 that I just inspected.
Good luck on the rehydration.

I’m sorry for the loss. Care to take this misfortune to educate the populous on rehydrating tobacco?
Certainly! The easiest way to rehydrate tobacco is to put it in a bowl. Get some paper towel and get it wet with distilled water. Squeeze out as much water as you can. Place the paper towel over the tobacco then wrap the bowl with plastic wrap. Let sit for at least 2 to 3 hours. Check the consistency. If ready, put in a mason jar for the moisture to equalize throughout the tobacco. Wait a week. Smoke and enjoy!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Certainly! The easiest way to rehydrate tobacco is to put it in a bowl. Get some paper towel and get it wet with distilled water. Squeeze out as much water as you can. Place the paper towel over the tobacco then wrap the bowl with plastic wrap. Let sit for at least 2 to 3 hours. Check the consistency. If ready, put in a mason jar for the moisture to equalize throughout the tobacco. Wait a week. Smoke and enjoy!

My method is similar.

Big tupperware container.
Open container of tobacco on one side.
Damp crumpled kitchen roll on the other.
(no direct, or close indirect contact)
Place lid on, and leave overnight.

Humidity of the sealed tub increases, and the tobacco laps it up. As Bill said, there is a further waiting time afterwards, subject to the density of tobacco. For example, flake will take longer for the moisture to permeate back through than with a ready rubbed mixture. Overnight is usually enough for the initial rehydration process, but I have had tobaccos that needed leaving next to the damp kitchen roll for longer.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In hindsight, yes I could see them but only after the fact. I should have been more diligent.

That's the trouble with rust specs. Knowing if it's just a tiny surface blemish, or signs of real trouble. Unfortunately, attemping to scour then off, promotes corrosion...

Not lost any pipe tobacco yet, but lost a few tins of snuff, which corroded from the inside out, and which don't have the paper separation that pipe tobacco does.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Do you think perhaps using a boveda pack would work at all?

Top Bottom