What's new

Above the Tie X1 Slant - Blades

I've used an ATT DE razor for a decade and settled on Feather blades several years ago after trying most of the popular options. With this setup, I shave twice per blade and only do a single-pass shave. With this combo, I get a great, close shave, and my skin is too sensitive for a double pass or against the grain.

Today I ordered the X1 Slant from ATT, and some Shick Proline blades, and Feather Pro blades. How many shaves might I expect per blade, considering I get two shaves from a DE Feather? I'll make sure and use one of the two options I ordered with my SE razor at least a dozen times before switching. Any suggestions about which blade I should start with? I have only used Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap for most of the last decade. Thanks!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I get two shaves from DE blades as well. I only seem to get three shaves with any of the unguarded blades in the X1 or Clayton Evolution. I get 6 shaves with each with both Feather ProGuards or Kai MG Protouch blades.

YMMV, of course.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
An excellent razor!

I like Feather DE blades. Not a huge fan of the Feather AC blades. My preferred AC blade for the X1 Slant is the Schick Proline P.

I get between 7 and 9 shaves on a blade before loading a new one.

Last edited:
I plan to start with the Shick Proline blades until I feel comfortable with the razor, then I'll give the Feather Pro a try. Thanks for the replies! I've tried to stretch my DE Feather to three shaves, but they are uncomfortable and don't provide a very close shave, so I stick with two. It sounds like I'll get at least six shaves from a SE razor, which seems crazy but good!

One thing, even though AC blades are expensive, they are still just blades. If it no longer feels right to you, bin it and move on while you learn the razor. The AC blades feel different and people have come here asking why they don't last as long as people report, they just aren't used to them yet and that's fine. They don't necesarrily glide for everybody like a DE blade and some mild resistance is normal. You have to learn when it's OK to push through, but you have to be sure you have the angles dialled in before that! You probably are coming at this with a good technique so it may be easier to learn the razor.

You probably are coming at this with a good technique so it may be easier to learn the razor.
Yes, my technique and feel for my current razor are good. Since the overall weight, balance, and design are similar since they are from the same manufacturer, I don't anticipate having too much difficulty adjusting. I agree on blades as well. I did use up some DE blades I didn't love, but the issue was more of them not providing a very close shave or lasting as long as I'd hoped. If I start butchering myself with an artist club blade, I will either pay it forward or bin it!

I plan to start with the Shick Proline blades until I feel comfortable with the razor, then I'll give the Feather Pro a try. Thanks for the replies! I've tried to stretch my DE Feather to three shaves, but they are uncomfortable and don't provide a very close shave, so I stick with two. It sounds like I'll get at least six shaves from a SE razor, which seems crazy but good!
Congratulations!
You'll love the X1. One thing to note is that the Schick Proline's are as sharp as they come. So in terms of the "which one to start with", they'll probably be equivalent in sharpness to the Feather's. But they'll both feel safe on the X-1 since it's not really an aggressive razor. It's very efficient & smooth!
Good luck!
In terms of durability, I get about 7 shaves with a Proline!
BTW, the Proline's are my preffered SE AC blades!
Kai Titan Mild Pink's are my #2 but they last me about 3 shaves for some reason.
I find them to be (for me) better than any other blade. YMMV!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
It's a lovely razor! For a few years now I've stuck to the Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink blades for my AC needs. They are adequately sharp for my purposes and not as touchy for me as the Schick Prolines. I have been thinking I might pick up some Prolines and try them in the X1, as I've only used them in the SE1.

I can usually get 6 good shaves out of a Pink, sometimes I get up to 9.

O.H.

Top Bottom