What's new

Above the Tie Strikes again

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I thought of posting this in What Did You Use Today, but I found it sufficiently surprising and noteworthy to merit its own thread. As I have shared elsewhere, I love the ATT Windsor SSR-1, but on a lark I bought a returned CM1 base plate from them. I figured, hey it looks really cool, it is not a huge expense, and it will be a little change. I put it on my razor with its now three day old Gillette Silver Blue. I figured that in order to make a fair and objective comparison, everything else about my shave ought to remain unchanged.

I splashed my face with hot water, no more than usual, and face lathered with a Kent BK4 and Martin de Candre Fougere. I expected mildness but had low expectations on efficiency going from R to M. During the first pass it felt very much like a Feather AS-D2, but I was using it without making the quirky angle adjustment the Feather demands. However, after the first pass alone I felt my face and was stunned. I re-lathered and completed passes two and three. The result was mind blowingly BBS with zero need for touch up, even in the areas I often find hard to nail. The upper lip ATG was smooth as it could be. I showered, splashed on my 4711, and began a day of basking in the glory of an absolutely stunning shave. Kudos to Above the Tie and the supporting cast of Kent, MdC, GSB, and 4711.
14A1E0D4-E353-4858-8752-E3A3EBD7AF6F.jpeg

Last edited:
I just received a Windsor SSM-1.
I tried a first pass and gave up instantly.
Is the shave angle similar to the ASD2?
Do I need to ride the cap?

Here you go - from the wonderful folks who designed it !

I thought of posting this in What Did You Use Today, but I found it sufficiently surprising and noteworthy to merit its own thread. As I have shared elsewhere, I love the ATT Windsor SSR-1, but on a lark I bought a returned CM1 base plate from them. I figured, hey it looks really cool, it is not a huge expense, and it will be a little change. I put it on my razor with its now three day old Gillette Silver Blue. I figured that in order to make a fair and objective comparison, everything else about my shave ought to remain unchanged.

I splashed my face with hot water, no more than usual, and face lathered with a Kent BK4 and Martin de Candre Fougere. I expected mildness but had low expectations on efficiency going from R to M. During the first pass it felt very much like a Feather AS-D2, but I was using it without making the quirky angle adjustment the Feather demands. However, after the first pass alone I felt my face and was stunned. I re-lathered and completed passes two and three. The result was mind blowingly BBS with zero need for touch up, even in the areas I often find hard to nail. The upper lip ATG was smooth as it could be. I showered, splashed on my 4711, and began a day of basking in the glory of an absolutely stunning shave. Kudos to Above the Tie and the supporting cast of Kent, MdC, GSB, and 4711.View attachment 1265019

Congratulations! That looks truly amazing. I've ordered the same setup and the CR1 plate. Can't wait for it to arrive !

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I did not use the 45 degree angle which the Feather requires. I intuitively use a shallower angle but short of riding the cap. It provided enough feedback on the WTG pass that I knew it was cutting. The second and third passes were close to silent.

Isn't it astonishing how great the Windsor shaves? 😎

When my set with all 3 plates arrived, I started with the M-base and was amazed about it's efficiency. At least I had never shaved so close that mild.

Now kind of analogously to you I went down from the SSH1 configuration to the R-baseplate on Sunday. I had spent some time with it many months ago as you probably remember from my Windsor-thread, but it was my plan for summer to check the R again. And what can I say other than these three letters: BBS!
It's magic. 🎩

You have surely seen, that they have announced new plates for the Windsor and these will be very exciting as their gaps are right in between the old ones: Classic Retirement & New Windsor Base Plates

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Isn't it astonishing how great the Windsor shaves? 😎

When my set with all 3 plates arrived, I started with the M-base and was amazed about it's efficiency. At least I had never shaved so close that mild.

Now kind of analogously to you I went down from the SSH1 configuration to the R-baseplate on Sunday. I had spent some time with it many months ago as you probably remember from my Windsor-thread, but it was my plan for summer to check the R again. And what can I say other than these three letters: BBS!
It's magic. 🎩

You have surely seen, that they have announced new plates for the Windsor and these will be very exciting as their gaps are right in between the old ones: Classic Retirement & New Windsor Base Plates
Yes indeed, a possible case of Plate Acquisition Disorder ("PAD") may be in the offing. Although I cannot imagine a different plate or anything else providing a shave as mild, close, and easy as this one unless it were to plunk down in a barber chair for a real wizard with a straight to do the work.

Top Bottom