What's new

Above The Tie - slant - design change?

I have two S1 heads. One purchased during the summer 2015 and another one purchased two weeks ago.

FYI, the first baseplate is stamped '2015' while the second plate is stamped '2016'.
And the razors on both heads are parallel to the caps.

But here's where things changed. The first head was relatively mild. But the one I received last month is slightly more aggressive, with a larger blade gap, that I can see with the naked eye. I agree with the other poster that it's probably due to a variance in the manufacturing process (unless there have been further design changes).

Regardless, I'm rather enjoying the more aggressive head and I'm starting to use it as my daily driver.

Last edited:
On the dutch form a foto-comparison was made between the 2014 and 2015 S2 heads. The 2015 version looked a bit more "rounded", the edges did not seem that angular. A shavingcomparison has not yet been made, but differences are absolutely there. Both the respective owners of the heads (I'm the owner of the 2014 version in that comparison) like theirs very much, so they both should shave well. The 2014 version does, this I know from experience.

I have an S1 date stamped 2016 purchased the last week of 2015. Its the "v1" design. As to blade aggressiveness I don't have an older S1 to compare it to. However, whatever the aggressiveness is compared to previous versions I do not care. I love this thing. It works great!

This thread has been rather interesting to read even if it DID get derailed a bit in the middle. I originally picked up the M1/M2/S1 with various handles from Stan just prior to the 2015 xmas break...so my S1 was probably the last batch shipped out before closing for New Years. It's got the uneven blade exposure (V1).

Since acquiring it I've been comparing it to other razors in my rotation and have concluded that the slants are here to stay. I've decided to cull my DE rotation and also ordered the slant combo pack from Stan 2 days ago. I will report back if I detect any change in the top cap design.

$Occupy-photos-3-0919.jpg

Holy mother lode.

Hello to all!
First I want to excuse me for my bad english and I will try to make myself understud.
Last week I buy an ATT S1 2016, from Executive Shaving.
I alredy shave with it six time.
I used Astra Sp, Astra Ss and Wilkinson.
My problem with this razor is, I feel one side more agressive than the other.
I dont know what to do,to send back or to keep it.
Any help apreciciated!

Hello to all!
First I want to excuse me for my bad english and I will try to make myself understud.
Last week I buy an ATT S1 2016, from Executive Shaving.
I alredy shave with it six time.
I used Astra Sp, Astra Ss and Wilkinson.
My problem with this razor is, I feel one side more agressive than the other.
I dont know what to do,to send back or to keep it.
Any help apreciciated!

I've never used an ATT slant. From what I gather, both sides should shave the same. If you don't like it, contact the vendor, but don't wait too long. ATT offers a 30 day satisfaction guarantee that the vendor should help you with. Both ATT and Executive have always been fair with me.

I am going to try some other blades and if is feelin the same i will send it back.
The razor look very good, is a piece of art and i couldnt see any diference with my eys one side from the other.
Maybe is a litle gap difference but only with some electronic device can be measured.
I will decide next week if i send it back.

Well, gentlemen, was it decided? was the progression v1 > v2, v1 > v2 > v1, or v1 > v2 > v3?

I have a chance to buy a v1 at a slightly higher price. If the current design has reverted to the original I'll pass it up. If it's morphed into something else, any opinions on how it shaves compared to a v1 and/or v2?

I'm confused too. I have an S1,plate stamped 2014 so I would presume it is a v1; right? Is this the same as the plate being produced now? Are all the top caps the same?
Thanks, Ron

Well, gentlemen, was it decided? was the progression v1 > v2, v1 > v2 > v1, or v1 > v2 > v3?

I have a chance to buy a v1 at a slightly higher price. If the current design has reverted to the original I'll pass it up. If it's morphed into something else, any opinions on how it shaves compared to a v1 and/or v2?
I cannot offer any info on the differences between V-1 & V-2, but I can say that I bought both the S1, and the S2, about 6 months ago. I just loaded them and checked and the blade exposure is uneven on the top cap on both (carefully loaded correctly) and they both are great shavers. That is with 2016 production from about 6-8 months ago.

Top Bottom