What's new

Above the Tie SE Slant

Hi Folks - I just happened to be on the ATT page looking at their Windsors when I saw on their homepage the X1 SE Slant. This is the first I've ever heard of a SE slant let alone a slant using the AC blade system. It may be a relatively new release given the couple of reviews on the site so thought I'd post to see if fellow shavers have had a chance to use this and, if not, make you aware that such a thing exists!

M

mtcn77

Hi Folks - I just happened to be on the ATT page looking at their Windsors when I saw on their homepage the X1 SE Slant. This is the first I've ever heard of a SE slant let alone a slant using the AC blade system. It may be a relatively new release given the couple of reviews on the site so thought I'd post to see if fellow shavers have had a chance to use this and, if not, make you aware that such a thing exists!
Thanks for the notice.
Though, I haven't tried any Above the Tie products, I can vouch for every word they put in: slants do irritate you more since you notice the blade more and they are mightily efficient.
It is a preference whether you can benefit from it. Personally, it is still the best thing I laid my hands to. It just doesn't give you a nick - I can live with the irritation instead of a cut.

The concept of an AC slant razor strikes me as being a little bit odd. For me, the chief benefit of the best DE slants is that they put a slight twist in the blade, making ir completely rigid and eliminating any possibility of chatter. With AC blades, however, they're thicker and stronger, so don't flex in use, at least in my experience.

M

mtcn77

eliminating any possibility of chatter
Hi, I want to chime in - the chatter is relative to the baseplate pillar position. It chatters a lot with Yaqi Slant due to this reason. The blade chatters anyway, the torque doesn't substitute SE blade rigidity.

Can anybody even see the tiniest bit of slanting in the picture on their website? To me it looks exactly like their normal SE1.
What am I missing?

Can see a slight slant but only a slight slant, mind I'm on the tablet. Never tried their stuff as on the expensive side for me but looks good.

This site shows a clearer picture and it is shallow

If it doesn't actually torque the blade, but rather just cants it, I have no interest whatsoever. I spent years refining my 'slide' technique with all my razors. This technique allows me to use a slicing motion no matter what razor I am using. So-called slants that only put the blade at an angle relative to the handle rather than actually bending the blade do nothing other than destroy my hard-earned technique.

Last edited:
Hi from Above the Tie! I noticed that you folks had some questions about the new X1 Single Edge Slant. We are very excited about our new razor! Since the AC blades are on the thick side the razor head does not twist the blade like our DE slant does. This razor however gives an excellent shave and is a great balance of efficiency and smoothness. It is great for head shaving as well. The owner Matt, shaves his head with it all the time. Here is a link to our blade gap chart:

And also here is a link to a recent youtube review of the X1 by Latherhog:

I hope this information helps. Please don't hesitate to email us if you have any other questions. Happy shaving!

Mariah

Hi from Above the Tie! I noticed that you folks had some questions about the new X1 Single Edge Slant. We are very excited about our new razor! Since the AC blades are on the thick side the razor head does not twist the blade like our DE slant does. This razor however gives an excellent shave and is a great balance of efficiency and smoothness. It is great for head shaving as well. The owner Matt, shaves his head with it all the time. Here is a link to our blade gap chart:

I hope this information helps. Please don't hesitate to email us if you have any other questions. Happy shaving!

Mariah
When is the X2 coming out?

M

mtcn77

The X1 has a 3 degree drop from corner to corner just like ATT S1 aand Merkur slant razors.
I calculated Merkur 37C at 5°. Should I halve that to each side? How do we do math, I forgot...
My Yaqi is also 5°. Basically, any current production slant I know of is 5°.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm really hoping I can grab one for this year's Tilted Picnic Slant Review series!

There's some time -- I've been off for the last couple weeks to play with barber straights, but I will return to start a serial review of three related slants starting next week, if all works as hoped.

O.H.

Mariah
So if I'm getting this right, it's not really a slant, as the blade doesn't bend.

Given it is not possible to twist an AC blade due to its rigidity and thickness, the "salntinessque" appearance is due to base cap being slightly wider at one end, so the blade gap increases diagonally across the head's width. Is that about right?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
For you who have tried it, what are you thinking of it?

I have a few slants. I also have three or four AC safety razors.

The X1 is new to me.

10-1-22.ATT.X1.Slant.CanadaSS.SV.Horn.640JPG.JPG

I like it a lot so far. Mild feeling but quite effective. Smooth.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom