What's new

Above the Tie S-1 Slant - Review

I wanted to post a quick review of my ATT S-1 Slant since I have reviewed my X-1, SSRH, and the original R-Plate head from 2013. Since I used my original Atlas handle, the feel and performance are very similar to the other heads, helping to reduce variables and focus on the head performance. The S-1 is the mildest razor I have used but it still gave a good shave. It isn't the most efficient shave I've experienced, and the configuration makets it difficult to shave under my nose. The quality of the components is great, but the S-1 is my least fovorite configuration of the ATT heads I own. I have open comb SSRH plate to try next, which I expect to like since I like the closed SSRH plate.

YMMV again!

I've used my S-1 with Kronos handle in rotation for a number of years. It's so, so smooth. I get close shaves with no drama. An extra sharp blade like Feather, Kai, or GSB makes a big difference. So does riding the cap, which makes an upward stroke under the nose easy. My only qualm is that it's hefty. The aluminum version is certainly light, but for some reason it doesn't give me the same silky smoothness. I wish there were a titanium version.

YMMV again!

I've used my S-1 with Kronos handle in rotation for a number of years. It's so, so smooth. I get close shaves with no drama. An extra sharp blade like Feather, Kai, or GSB makes a big difference. So does riding the cap, which makes an upward stroke under the nose easy. My only qualm is that it's hefty. The aluminum version is certainly light, but for some reason it doesn't give me the same silky smoothness. I wish there were a titanium version.
In all fairness to the S1, I am used to more aggressive razors. I use my Gillette on setting 7. I like the S1, and if I were to shave two days in a row, it would likely be my choice for less growth. But I prefer my R-Plate, SSRH, or the X1. I will need to try it on an up-stroke under my nose, but I am always slightly terrified of that move. I should note that all of my ATT razors are stainless steel, so there is a fair amount of heft, which I prefer.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I wanted to post a quick review of my ATT S-1

Thanks! I have the S2 and it's been one of my go-to razors for a long time. I'd thought about getting an S1 as well, but I found the S2 so smooth and seemingly mild that I decided I didn't need to dial down to an SB.

Mine was made in 2014 if I remember. It's aged well; still stands up in my Top Five today.

O.H.

I have the X1 slant with the calypso handle and a mixed metal (stainless/aluminum USA made) Windsor with the Bamboo handle. I had the SSRH Kronos and the Windsor Pro aluminum. I sold them both!
My first was the SSRH and really liked it but discovered other razors I liked more and used the funds for those purchases. And the Windsor pro wasn't up to the ATT quality level. Once I discovered the X1, that was it!
Love everything about it!
I keep the mixed metal Windsor because it's mega aggressive and I like that every once in a while. But for daily, the X1 rules out of my ATT's!

Top Bottom