What's new

Above the Tie Razors underrated

A couple months ago I obtained ATT's Special Edition Blue Aluminum razor with the H plate here on the BST. Found that the H was too aggressive for me, so I ordered an R plate from ATT after emailing Matt several times. The R was too aggressive too and Matt let me exchange for a M plate. For me the M plate works perfectly. The razor is perfect in fit and finish with a good grip on the handle. After using the Aluminum for over a month I decided for Christmas I should try one of their stainless razors.

After debating for some time, I finally ordered an Atlas M1, the stainless stand and a stand for the aluminum razor. There was some confusion with my order and Matt was right on it to make it right. Of course I caused some of that confusion.

I have a couple shaves in on the Atlas M1 and it is a fantastic razor! Perfect fit and finish and good balance. I got BBS shaves with little effort from the first day taking it out of the box. I tried the Astra SP blades Matt sent with the razor, but prefer GSB's or Gillette Platinums.

It's sad that they don't get the attention that they deserve. Yes they are a little pricey, but the quality of the product they produce and the customer service they give is outstanding.

I just wanted to give my thoughts on my recent purchase and give credit where it's due to one of our B&B Vendors.

I couldn’t agree more with you. I think they’re up there with Timeless and Charcoal Goods. I have the ATT Atlas S1 Slant and ATT Windsor SSR1 and they have given me excellent close shaves with no irritation. I think they’re very underrated and fly under most peoples radar. ATT also has excellent fit and finish on their razors. Thank you @OhioBob for giving AboveTheTie credit! Well done

I too, completely agree... I have an Atlas S1 w/ Inkwell stands and it's a beauty.

I would consider the ATT products in the same category as Shavemac and Thater brushes... A superior high end luxury product that can be purchased at any time with little to no availability issues.

Where as a Timeless, Charcoal Goods and even some RazoRock razors are harder to get and grab a lot of buzz. Even more so for a Wolfman Razor. On the brush side it's brands like Declaration Grooming, Paladin, Wiborg or The Varlet and maybe a few others that generate similar buzz.

All these products are harder to get and thus demand a high price on the secondary market, and so... If they are harder to get and potentially go up in value THEY MUST BE BETTER.

right?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I started this thread as you rarely see them mentioned. I am glad others have the same opinion as I do. I think that since they were one of the first out there to offer a premium razor, they have been overlooked and they shouldn't be.

I started this thread as you rarely see them mentioned. I am glad others have the same opinion as I do. I think that since they were one of the first out there to offer a premium razor, they have been overlooked and they shouldn't be.

True that. Though I never hear a single bad word, and people who have them always seem to say they're lovely.

I'd say they deserve their praise :D

I couldn’t agree more with you. I think they’re up there with Timeless and Charcoal Goods. I have the ATT Atlas S1 Slant and ATT Windsor SSR1 and they have given me excellent close shaves with no irritation. I think they’re very underrated and fly under most peoples radar. ATT also has excellent fit and finish on their razors. Thank you @OhioBob for giving AboveTheTie credit! Well done
ATT fit and finish is as good as the Timeless and better than the Charcoal Goods.

What I find unique about this razor is it has an equal balance between the top cap and base plate. Razors like Rockwell ride the top Which is great except under your nose. with this razor I can ride the base plate to shave under my nose and gets much closer while also riding the top cap on my face.

Atlas M2 is one of only two modern razors to get consistent play in my rotation of 1930s Gillette News.
Fatip Grande, SLOC, Pearl OC, and a pitiable Merkur OC all gather dust.

Tom

Lots of M1 love here! I'm a daily shaver so the M1 is the one I use when I use my ATT as well. The H2 is pretty good if you like steep angle shaving. I've tried to like the R plates but they're in that range where they're too aggressive for me to use daily and if I feel like going for a steep angle shave, the H plates are better.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've got three ATTs at the moment: SE2, S2, and G1, all with the Kronos handle. There's a whole universe in those three razors: the SE2 is the most aggressive razor I own, the S2 is the smoothest and fastest and the G1 is one of the best Gem-moderns I've used.

All of them with stellar fit and finish.

O.H.

I bought the special edition blue aluminum as well. It’s the best razor I’ve ever bought. Paired with a polsilver SI there is no better shave.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I dont think att is that underrated. I just bought the r2 in aluminum the m is a little too mid. You dont hear too much from them stan used to post a lot.

I have the R1 and used it for 2 weeks on holiday. Now it's my fav razor. Very comfortable andalso close onceyou get used to it.. i lije tgecway the bottom plate drops onto the top plate when inserting the blade. Correct alignment every time. Amazing bit of engineering.

Top Bottom