What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

So the R1 is more aggressive than S1? I thought the site said it opposite...and it sounds like I have no business using any of those plates until I have perfected my technique....
I believe the S1 was designed to be in between a the M and R in terms of aggressiveness. I found the S1 very smooth and med/mild.

I have never tried the R1. I will say that an S2 is milder than an R2. I would assume the same would be said about the SB versions.

Funny way to do business. They send me the wrong order (Kronos M1 instead of Atlas R1) and later contacted me asking if I want to keep that or change it to what I ordered. I sent a message about the difference between razors.

Funny you mention this, I received the wrong razor from ATT last week and have not received a response either. I ordered a razor and a razor stand and got a totally wrong order. You'd think with the money we spend that customer service would be much better. I've been trying for nearly a week now sending emails to get a response on if my correct order will be shipping. I've already shipped the wrong order back to Stan.

I really hope to hear back from someone soon. I've heard nothing but good things about Stan, so I'm pretty shocked the customer service has dropped the ball like this.

Follow up to my prior post. I have now had the chance to shave several more times with the M1 and I think I am getting a pretty good feel for it. Bottom line is that the M1 is quite a bit more aggressive than the R89 for me. If I do exactly the same number of passes with both razors and using the same soap, what I find is that the M1 is quite a bit more efficient (less hair left on my face) but also more likely to leave the occasional weeper and/or slight burning sensation. I have been working on dialing in on a super shallow angle, but the M1 is challenging because the blade protrudes out of the razor head much "flatter" than the blade in the R89 which is more "curved". What that means is that to get a shallow angle in the M1, one has to tilt the head much shallower than in the R89 which can be tricky as at some point, the blade come off the skin.

So for right now, while I still search for the exact angle with which to hold the razor to my face, I will only use my smoothest blades(Personna Red) and my slickest and most protective soap (Mike's) or else I may invite irritation. And until I figure this all out, my R89 is going to remain as my daily razor.

Let's see how I do in the next few weeks...

Part 3...I have really been working on the angle, and despite nailing the angle, I keep getting a few weepers and my face stings more in the shower. This much is clear....I have to make less passes and I cannot go against the grain. So tomorrow I will try 3 passes (no touchup) and only WTG and XTG. Let's see if that leaves my face feeling about the same as after using the R89.

Part 3...I have really been working on the angle, and despite nailing the angle, I keep getting a few weepers and my face stings more in the shower. This much is clear....I have to make less passes and I cannot go against the grain. So tomorrow I will try 3 passes (no touchup) and only WTG and XTG. Let's see if that leaves my face feeling about the same as after using the R89.

I'd suggest keeping it down to TWO passes... WTG then XTG. Remember a very light pressure - just barely enough to keep the blade in contact with the skin so it doesn't "skip". Almost zero pressure is the idea. As for angle, LISTEN to the blade and it will tell you when the angle is correct. You should hear that sound similar to buttering toast, sort of a scraping sound as the whiskers are cut. That means your blade is at the best angle. If it's quiet then it's not cutting at all (this makes you increase pressure thinking that will help attain a smoother shave). Keep the environment quiet as you shave so you can hear this. The ATT razors really sing, so you'll hear it if you don't have too much background noise (running water, exhaust fan or radio - avoid all these noises). Listen to the blade!

If you have really sensitive skin then maybe even start with two WTG passes and leave it at that, then work you way up to additional passes and directions. You'll get the hang of it, so just keep practicing with it. :thumbup1:

I started with the M1 and worked my way up to the M2, R1, R2, H1 and H2. I finally settled on the H1 as my favorite. Technique is the whole key to it all.

Keep us posted! :D

I'd suggest keeping it down to TWO passes... WTG then XTG. Remember a very light pressure - just barely enough to keep the blade in contact with the skin so it doesn't "skip". Almost zero pressure is the idea. As for angle, LISTEN to the blade and it will tell you when the angle is correct. You should hear that sound similar to buttering toast, sort of a scraping sound as the whiskers are cut. That means your blade is at the best angle. If it's quiet then it's not cutting at all (this makes you increase pressure thinking that will help attain a smoother shave). Keep the environment quiet as you shave so you can hear this. The ATT razors really sing, so you'll hear it if you don't have too much background noise (running water, exhaust fan or radio - avoid all these noises). Listen to the blade!

If you have really sensitive skin then maybe even start with two WTG passes and leave it at that, then work you way up to additional passes and directions. You'll get the hang of it, so just keep practicing with it. :thumbup1:

I started with the M1 and worked my way up to the M2, R1, R2, H1 and H2. I finally settled on the H1 as my favorite. Technique is the whole key to it all.

Did you notice a change in aggressiveness between the SB and OC versions of the same plate?

JCS. I took your advice (well....partially)....and started with a new blade (Personna Red), my best performing soap (Mike's Hungarian Lavender) and 2 passes as you instructed. 1 x WTG, 1 x XTG. When I felt my face, I had zero irritation, cuts or nicks, but my dense, coarse stubble had not been reduced sufficiently. So I made one last pass (XTG) and then cleaned up lightly. Net result is that I got a DFS free of irritation with 3 passes. To get BBS, I suspect I would need a 4th pass, but it looks like the 4th pass is where the problem lies (potentially in connection with using a less well performing soap).

One thing I was wondering about is whether anyone here thinks the weight of the razor is creating more pressure than the R89 (rather than the blade gap/exposure etc) and would it make sense to mount the M1 head onto my R89 handle to shave with a lighter razor? Anyone tried this?

I have been shaving with my ATT M2 for about 10 weeks now. I started DE shaving with a R89, then I bought an SS Executive Shaving razor. I have quite sensitive skin. I have found the M2 to be much more aggressive then the R89.

Using the M2 I have found it best to do just two passes WTG and XTG. My quest for the best blade in my M2 continues.

JCS. I took your advice (well....partially)....and started with a new blade (Personna Red), my best performing soap (Mike's Hungarian Lavender) and 2 passes as you instructed. 1 x WTG, 1 x XTG. When I felt my face, I had zero irritation, cuts or nicks, but my dense, coarse stubble had not been reduced sufficiently. So I made one last pass (XTG) and then cleaned up lightly. Net result is that I got a DFS free of irritation with 3 passes. To get BBS, I suspect I would need a 4th pass, but it looks like the 4th pass is where the problem lies (potentially in connection with using a less well performing soap).

One thing I was wondering about is whether anyone here thinks the weight of the razor is creating more pressure than the R89 (rather than the blade gap/exposure etc) and would it make sense to mount the M1 head onto my R89 handle to shave with a lighter razor? Anyone tried this?

Ok, let me suggest your second pass incorporate one more thing, this may help with your heavy beard...

Try "buffing" on the second XTG pass. I do this and it makes for an excellent near BBS result.

By buffing i mean lightly "buff" left to right (for me this is XTG on my jawline/chin area) in short delicate strokes. I only do this along chin and jawline and about 2" above and below the jawline. I don't do it on the upper lip or around the Adam's apple. As I do it I "stretch" my skin by assorted contortions to make it a bit tighter as I buff. This "pops" the whisker up just a wee bit to make it extra close.

Keep it up, you'll have it mastered before you know it.

PS: I do buff on the lower lip and goatee area as I stretch the skin. On upper lip I only do WTG on both passes but I stretch that area to get it nice and close.

JCS. Thanks for all your sage advice. I think there are a few things that I have learned by way of trial and error based on your feedback. Here are a few changes I have made that seem to really have made quite a big difference...

1) The blade I use in this razor is not the same as in my R89. While I can use both Astras and Personna Reds in my R89, Astras don't work for me in the M1. Personnas on the other hand do...

2) I have reduced the number of passes to three which seems to have cured the problem with irritation.

3) I have had to make sure the handle is screwed in really tight on the razorhead...I suspect the blade flexes and springs when it isn't extra tight, causing cuts and irritation.

With those adjustments, the M1 not only does the same job as the R89 in yerms of the shave, but it also does it taking less time.

JCS. Thanks for all your sage advice. I think there are a few things that I have learned by way of trial and error based on your feedback. Here are a few changes I have made that seem to really have made quite a big difference...

1) The blade I use in this razor is not the same as in my R89. While I can use both Astras and Personna Reds in my R89, Astras don't work for me in the M1. Personnas on the other hand do...

2) I have reduced the number of passes to three which seems to have cured the problem with irritation.

3) I have had to make sure the handle is screwed in really tight on the razorhead...I suspect the blade flexes and springs when it isn't extra tight, causing cuts and irritation.

With those adjustments, the M1 not only does the same job as the R89 in yerms of the shave, but it also does it taking less time.

Glad to hear you're getting it dialed in. With more familiarity you'll probably get it refined even further. :thumbup:

Glad to hear you're getting it dialed in. With more familiarity you'll probably get it refined even further. :thumbup:

I think the big AHA-moment for me was the realization that each razor may perform best with a certain blade, certain products and specific changes in technique. Once that had settled in, dialing in became much easier.

The brushes have slid down the priority queue a bit. Currently I have been exploring another razor addition. Perhaps a Pal type injector razor, ATT version. Looking at a Gem blade type razor as well. Time will tell.
Oooooo a Gem type modern SE!!!!(not a Oneblade). I find the other modern SEs too wide.

Top Bottom