What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Stan, first of all, congrats on your "retirement" from your day job. Based on your involvement on threads like this, I suspect you're not lounging on the beach...

Second, I like the fact that you posted sample vintage inventory on the thread. Can I request you do the same when you introduce SE vintage inventory? It's easier to check this site (which I already do, quite frequently) than to remember to drop by Above the Tie...

I'm still rockin' the H2 and S2! Keep up the great work.

Thanks, I have been very busy but doing the things I want and on my schedule. Yes, it is a nice change.
I am glad you have been checking out our vintage offerings. I will post in the Vendor section from time to time.
As for vintage SE razors and sets I will be adding then to the site as I acquire them. I have a very nice Gem Minuteman set that I will be posting soon. It's only the second I have possessed. Finding them complete with the lids is not easy. My goal is to offer items such as these where they can be more easily found. I understand that not everyone has the time (I do now!) and the desire to hunt these items down clean them up etc.

Ok, so I got my S1. It is truly remarkable. Exactly like the other posters have said, feels right in between the M1 and R1. It seemed as though I didn't have to contort my face and stretch skin in certain areas as much as I have to with other kinds of razors. Also, getting a clean chin has always been a hassle, but now no more.

I will say that while I understand the logic of cutting from down and the side at the same time, I don't quite understand why it is it feels so much smoother and seems to not only be more efficient, but also more effective at doing its job. It is a bizarre mystery. I do notice that the side of the slant cap and base plate meet together in a slight odd way compared to the straight bar razors that I picture below. Do others notice this as well? I guess it is really irrelevant at this point because I love it all of the same. Now, it is time to sell off my R1!
$IMG_4970.jpg

Last edited:
I have an Atlas handle with M1 ,R1 & H1 plates (stared on the M and now use H).
I'm now thinking of a slant, and was wondering how aggressive is the S2 compared to the plates I already have?
The S2 feels very mild, but it's a beast. I usually used the S1 when I shaved every day, and the S2 when I had to shave after a long weekend so the open comb was optimal for me. Both just cut through, and give me a great one pass shave, with no tugging or irritation. The S2 is slightly more aggressive than the S1 in terms of blade feel.

Hi,

I still want a differentially aggressive variant. Guess I will have to buy an S2 then perform my own machining on one side to make one....

Stan

Does anybody have any advice on how to best clean the stainless steel components? Specifically, the glue from a feather blade that gunks up the cap and baseplate? I was thinking dish detergent, but that involves work and I try to avoid that as much as possible. Can I put them in the dishwasher?

Ok, so I got my S1. It is truly remarkable. Exactly like the other posters have said, feels right in between the M1 and R1. It seemed as though I didn't have to contort my face and stretch skin in certain areas as much as I have to with other kinds of razors. Also, getting a clean chin has always been a hassle, but now no more.

I will say that while I understand the logic of cutting from down and the side at the same time, I don't quite understand why it is it feels so much smoother and seems to not only be more efficient, but also more effective at doing its job. It is a bizarre mystery. I do notice that the side of the slant cap and base plate meet together in a slight odd way compared to the straight bar razors that I picture below. Do others notice this as well? I guess it is really irrelevant at this point because I love it all of the same. Now, it is time to sell off my R1!
View attachment 688461

Very happy to hear that you like the S1.
Shortly after I got mine I traded my R1 baseplate and cap for an S2 baseplate and cap. :001_smile

Does anybody have any advice on how to best clean the stainless steel components? Specifically, the glue from a feather blade that gunks up the cap and baseplate? I was thinking dish detergent, but that involves work and I try to avoid that as much as possible. Can I put them in the dishwasher?

I've found that the little glue spots rub off easily with a cotton bath towel. At blade change I give the underside of the cap a quick wipe with the towel and it's gone. Drop in a new blade and go. It's been a non-issue in my experience.

Just finished my second shave with the SE1 and I'm blown away. Using a Kronos handle, Feather Pro, I'm getting excellent shaves. Zero learning curve for me and I just came off 2 weeks with the SS Mongoose.
I'm ranking this my #1 SE so far.

#1: ATT SE1
#2: Alumigoose V1
#3: SS Mongoose (b3)
#4: SS Mongoose (b2)
#5: Alumigoose V2

Nitpicking the SE1, I agree getting the blade out is a bear. I use a magnet now rather than prying a fingernail underneath. I'm just healing from shoving a Feather Pro into my index, I'm not wanting a repeat.

Very happy to hear that you like the S1.
Shortly after I got mine I traded my R1 baseplate and cap for an S2 baseplate and cap. :001_smile

Yeah, I didn't think it was possible to get an irritation free, smooth shave, but since I got this S1 I have been shaving every day, no weepers, no nicks, i didn't think it was possible and mind you I have been using double edges for about 10 years now. Thanks for suggesting this baseplate given your similar experience as mine.

Yeah, I didn't think it was possible to get an irritation free, smooth shave, but since I got this S1 I have been shaving every day, no weepers, no nicks, i didn't think it was possible and mind you I have been using double edges for about 10 years now. Thanks for suggesting this baseplate given your similar experience as mine.

You're welcome. I think Stan really nailed it when he designed his ATT slant. :thumbup1:
[MENTION=17728]Stan[/MENTION]

You're welcome. I think Stan really nailed it when he designed his ATT slant. :thumbup1:
@Stan

You guys just made my day.
I will have to say that after rolling out the new SE1 and now the SE2, getting the aluminum line in to the shop, finding another replater and bringing our vintage razor page back up with some nice items, I'm a little tired.
May be time for me to look into retiring. Oh wait I've already done that.
:blink:

Make matching handle stainless steel brushes with silvertip badger first! :thumbup:

Some days for whatever reason I have to check to see that my slant has a blade in it because it feels so smooth. I think the condition of my skin has improved dramatically. I guess it is the daily exfoliation.

Last edited:
I recently received a R1 baseplate to go along with my Atlas M1 and I have to say, I don't even bother using my other razors anymore since getting these. M1 is my daily go-to and I use R1 when I go more than a few days without a shave.

This razor is so well built I wouldn't be surprised if it outlives me.

Make matching handle stainless steel brushes with silvertip badger first! :thumbup:

Some days for whatever reason I have to check to see that my slant has a blade in it because it feels so smooth. I think the condition of my skin has improved dramatically. I guess it is the daily exfoliation.

I have actually talked to the guys at the shop about that. We would bore out most of the center to reduce the weight. they had some good ideas and were ready to go. I just was not ready to pull the trigger yet. May actually look into it again for 2017.

I actually used my S1 today in an effort to build my tolerance such that I can go XTG and ATG. I have always been strictly a WTG guy because of my sensitive neck. And it was wonderful! After my initial WTG pass, I did XTG on my cheeks, chin jawline, the less-sensitive parts of my neck, and it was great. I think this, or even the M1, will likely be my daily driver for a few weeks to come while I experiment with different techniques, then I'll move up to a more aggressive plate. I've never been able to shave anything but WTG like I said, so this is very exciting for me.

I used to go for more aggressive razors, and used them VERY gently, because WTG is about all I felt comfortable doing. But now that the S1 is giving such mild shaves, I feel invincible! :tongue_sm

It's funny, I've been a DE shaver for over 5 years, and just recently did I learn how little I know about it, and how much there is to explore. And I'm so glad I bought into the ATT system because they're just beautiful razors, both in aesthetics and functionality. While pricey, I feel like cost will be soon forgotten.

THANK YOU STAN! :thumbup1:

Last edited:
I have recently acquired an SE1, and was wondering if any of you guys might be able to give me some advice on what blades work well.

Top Bottom