What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

My configuration, coming in the mail, will have the handle, three base plales, and a back plate. Has anyone come with a compact, but elegant way of displaying/protecting the plates?

I'd probably keep the razor loaded with a blade, and two plates on the side. Any ideas? Show pics, if possible.

When I keep one of them assembled, it's in a simple rack with a few other razors. The rest of the system I put in a cufflinks box I found on a favorite auction site. This size holds both 5 piece OC and SB sets. Under $40.

I'm sure you could find a smaller one. The advantage is the way the creases for the cufflinks hold the baseplates securely. And the wood finish looks good too!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
Great idea on the cuff link box! I've been using old cigar boxes with microfiber towels in them, might have to keep my eyes open for a deal on a cuff link box.

Thanks always. I also was repurposing cigar boxes, but couldn't resist this after seeing another shaver using one for his ATTs. I still use the cigar box for some of my other razors.

When I keep one of them assembled, it's in a simple rack with a few other razors. The rest of the system I put in a cufflinks box I found on a favorite auction site. This size holds both 5 piece OC and SB sets. Under $40.

I'm sure you could find a smaller one. The advantage is the way the creases for the cufflinks hold the baseplates securely. And the wood finish looks good too!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Great box! What a great idea. I think I might get one myself.

This is one really inventive way of displaying the ATT full set of ten pieces; the polished wood shows off the stainless steel quite well.

However, there are several display cases that look promising; mini cosmetic/cufflink cases have sections for shaving paraphernalia, even blades. One, on eBay, repurposes a handsome cigar box.

Tried my new 7 piece set for the first time tonight, R1 with Kronos handle. Great smooth shave, one of my closest two pass shaves ever, and no irritation and mild alcohol burn from the aftershave. So far I am very impressed. I shave every two days, so next up will be the R2 and then the H2.

Shawn,

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking maybe try the BST as I'm closing out on the 30 day warranty anyhow (it's a great warranty).

I have a TON of Personna Labs, so I'll give it a shot this evening, specifically with the lab!

@JasonandMichelle: Did you end up adapting to the M2? Or have you gotten an M1?

Cheers,
Shawn

I received my set just a few days ago.

I'm not sure, but I'm able to shave just as smoothly with the H2 plate as with my R41. It works very smoothly with a GSB - and I haven't even touched the other plates yet.

My experience was similar, very smooth shave. Steep angle or shallow angle. The other plates have their place too, I love 'em all! Congrats on your new kit!

Latest ATT-related entry from Leisureguy's shaving blog:

A totally perfect shave. My G.B. Kent BK4 made the usual perfect lather from D.R. Harris—I hope they never reformulate that soap. It’s just wonderful.

Three passes with the Above the Tie R1, which turns out to be the perfect baseplate for me, better than the M1, better than the R2, much better than the H1. It holds a newish Astra Superior Platinum and using it was a pleasure. BBS over much of my beard after the second pass—but I did a third pass for perfection.

A good splash of the Arlington aftershave, and the weekend gets underway. This sort of perfect BBS result only holds for a few hours, of course, before roughness starts subtly to appear—but then the best meal you ever had in your life lasted only a few hours before tendrils of hunger started to emerge as well. Experience is by nature transitory (as is life). Those who seek permanence outside the grave are bound to be disappointed.

Cheers,
Shawn

BBS with the M1 this morning. Steepened the angle a bit from usual, worked perfectly. Three passes and a touch ups for me, but perfect shave with that.

Loving the shaves I get with the Kronos M2. BBS, nick-free and it feels like I've owned this razor for a long time. I recently picked up one of the used M1 plates from the ATT site and found I need to work harder (as in more passes) to get the same BBS shave as with the M2. The R1 might have been a better choice, but since there are no returns on used items.... No big deal, the shaves are still quite nice with the M1, they simply take an additional pass since it's almost too mild.

Last edited:
Ok fellas, here's the news.

I got the M1 in today, and after sterilizing, gave it a whirl. First impression: smooth, but is certainly a "whisker reducer", not a "whisker remover". Y'all know what I mean when I say that: the R41 is a "whisker remover". Get the drift?

Anyhow, I must say that I compare EVERY SHAVE to that of my NEWs (both SC and LC). I generally can get a somewhat smooth, work passable shave from the NEWs with just a WTG pass. Add a XTG? DFS.

So moving forward, after my first pass (WTG) it wasn't quite where the NEWs are. It was smooth, not rough, but I didn't feel it whacked those whiskers quite like the NEW. Second pass? Again, smooth, but didn't get the DFS that I get with the NEW. Third pass (ATG):

-Brief Aside- I rarely, if ever, go ATG. I have found that I generally rush it because I set out for two pass and figure I'll give a third a shot, and it isn't pleasant (read, user error).

Back to third pass: Ok, so it was still relatively smooth feeling, but I did get a little bit of irritation on the chin.

I used a Personna Lab, when my go-to is a Polsilver SI. I remember folks in this forum (on this thread) telling me to give a duller blade a shot. I did this time, and still wasn't thrilled. I'll try my go-to in the next couple shaves and see what happens.

I think I'm formulating an opinion: a razor that costs $185 should have two things:

1: In terms of performance, it should SMOKE all competitors. I know YMMV, and I know a good carpenter doesn't blame his tools, but it should just obliterate the $15 Wal-Mart Queen.

2: It should last forever.

I think the ATT razor ABSOLUTELY wins #2. It is a stunning razor to behold, one I know confidently would last through my grandchildren's grandchildren (my oldest kid is 4). Does it take #1? I am leaning towards a $30 Gillette NEW over the $185 ATT. Not in the least.

I will try my go-to blade, and give it another three to four shaves, but if the NEWs keep calling my name...I'll BST this bad boy and rhodium plate my NEWs.

Stan has an awesome product, and stellar service, I just think I'm striking out here.

If you're comparing it to a NEW, then maybe you ought to be trying the R2 baseplate -- another Open Comb, more aggressive than the M1. THEN don't like that, too, and let it go on B/S/T cheap, giving me 24 hours notice... (!)

Anyway, all kidding aside, I love the M1 baseplate on my Kronos (or Titan it was, when I got it). You might give it another few chances, it's possible your angle is not "locked in". But it's also quite possible it's just not your razor. There's a sizable contingent that thinks the NEWs are the best razors ever made, period. Maybe you're one of that illustrious number.

Last edited:
I think the whole point of the ATT system is that it provides choices. M1 too mild? Try the R plates. Want more? Go to the H plates.
With the M plates, I compare it to a tech or Krona, not a NEW. Apples to oranges.

I think I'm formulating an opinion: a razor that costs $185 should have two things:

1: In terms of performance, it should SMOKE all competitors. I know YMMV, and I know a good carpenter doesn't blame his tools, but it should just obliterate the $15 Wal-Mart Queen.

2: It should last forever.

I think the ATT razor ABSOLUTELY wins #2. It is a stunning razor to behold, one I know confidently would last through my grandchildren's grandchildren (my oldest kid is 4). Does it take #1? I am leaning towards a $30 Gillette NEW over the $185 ATT. Not in the least.

I will try my go-to blade, and give it another three to four shaves, but if the NEWs keep calling my name...I'll BST this bad boy and rhodium plate my NEWs.

Stan has an awesome product, and stellar service, I just think I'm striking out here.

If you want a comparable shave to a New you need either the M2 or R2 open comb plates, you're comparing apples to oranges there so it's no wonder the M1 isn't delivering what you want.

Most people who have posted about the issue say the "2" baseplates are marginally more mild than their "1" counterparts, no? If that's the case, the R2, rather than the M2, would be a more oranges-to-oranges comparison with a NEW I would think. (I don't have an R2 plate, so just extrapolating from posts, here).

The geometry and therefore blade exposure of the equivalent (ie M1 - M2) baseplates is identical, the only difference is comb vs bar. IMO the difference in feel is down to the comb leaving the lather for the blade which leads to a smoother feeling shave. If anything I find that the OC plate is more efficient in removing stubble than the SB.

In any case, I have the M1, M2 and R2 base plates, and a couple of News. IMO the M2 feels closer to the New, the R2 is more aggressive, but neither is an exact match.

I think we can both agree that the M1 certainly is not equivalent to a New.

Top Bottom