What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

I love the R1, R2, H1 and H2 plates, they all produce phenomenal shaves, but I just wish, because I prefer the shorter handles, that Stan the man would make an Atlas handle the same thickness and length as a Weber Bulldog handle .........please Stan!

I've been looking at stainless steel DE's lately, and while I love their line up I don't like the price. I've been looking into Weber and Ikon also. I really like ATT, but again their pricing it a bit of a turn off for me. Honestly I feel guilty even liking such a pricey shaving tool. I feel like I could spend my money in ways that would be of a greater benefit.

I felt the same way but after buying it I found it worth every penny I spent and more. It only stings for a little while then the initial cost is completely forgotten. While the price seems high it's not really so costly when you think about it lasting forever. You can use it for the rest of your life then your son can likely use it the rest of his life as well. It's something that I use and definitely enjoy every single day.

When you compare it to other products in your home that you spend money on it's not so costly. For example my wife uses a curling iron and a hair dryer every day. The curling irons if I buy the cheap one will last about a year and run about $40. The expensive ones will last 3 or 4 years but are around the $200 mark. Hair dryers are the same deal, cheap ones are around $30 and last a year, expensive ones are $100 and last 3 or 4 years. So you ask what do hair dryers and curling irons have to do with your razor. Well they are items that you use every day and don't think twice about replacing yet they will end up costing you way more than any razor you buy in the long run. The $185 ATT price isn't so bad when you consider you are getting an item that you will use 356 days a year for the next 40 years then your son will use it another 40 years. I know that if I could find a curling iron or a hair dryer for $185 that my wife could use 29,200 (80 years *365 days a year) times and it would still work perfectly I'd buy it in a second.

It's something that you will use and enjoy every day for the rest of your life. Sure it costs more but it also costs more to make. You are paying more for it being of much higher quality. These things are made like precision tools on very expensive equipment and are built to last several lifetimes. The price is in line with what it costs to make these razors. I'm sure that Stan does make some profit off of the products but I'd bet it's not anywhere near as much as you think it would be. These things are made on some expensive machinery to get to this level of precision. So, you are paying more for a higher quality product.

My grandfather taught me to buy the best tool I could find and take care of it. If you do this you will truly have something special that will serve you well. If you buy garbage then no matter how well you take care of it you will always have garbage.

Maybe buy a new one from Stan at ATT directly and if you don't think it's worth the cost you can return it and get your money back. I know of no other razor company that does this. Just know that if you try it you likely won't be sending it back.

Last edited:
I've been looking at stainless steel DE's lately, and while I love their line up I don't like the price. I've been looking into Weber and Ikon also. I really like ATT, but again their pricing it a bit of a turn off for me. Honestly I feel guilty even liking such a pricey shaving tool. I feel like I could spend my money in ways that would be of a greater benefit.

I see the price thing come up a lot (especially compared to a weber) and just want to add a comment.

First all the usual apply. The quality is flawless. I am OCD, Type A personality, very analytical, scrutinizing and can find a problem with pretty much anything. I genuinely can't find a fault with the quality of the ATT razors. It will last a lifetime and another lifetime and more because of the raw stainless construction. Stans customer service is amazing. I bought a single razor then upgraded to the 7 piece set then swapped a baseplate. I felt guilty sending that email to swap a baseplate. He did nothing wrong and because I didn't like one of the baseplates I didn't feel he should have to pay the price but he has that guarantee and really means it. He really put me at ease. If you bought it and wanted a refund I know it would go just as smooth.

Now my extra comment to add is about that first thing I mentioned. Quality. Also about that really nicely priced weber. FOR ME the weber was the worst deal in shaving. Here is the reason why. I have owned 4 different webers. That's right FOUR have gone through my hands. At approximately $75 shipped each that's a $300 value for a single razor I am still not happy with. I bought my first one. Had horrible shaves and a wavy blade. Swapped it for a new head through weber. Still wasn't happy with the quality and sold it. I was curious again about how people rave about this razor. I bought another one. Wavy blade. I really REALLY wanted to like this weber. I contacted them and just asked to buy another head since I didn't need the handle. I bought another head. Wavy blade. I bought sandpaper to sand the rails and fix the wavy blade. I got it 95% straight. It shaves fine now but I won't lie. When loading a blade I get frustrated that it's not straight. My $10 cadet razor is straight as an arrow. I still might sell it. It's just not worth it for me. Especially now owning an ATT and seeing what real quality is. The blade is so perfectly straight it blends into the too cap. When looking at an ATT the lines and details are so exact it's almost like an optical illusion it's hard for your eye to pick out what's what.

That's my personal experience and is definitely unique but the price for the ATT was well worth it for me.

^ Jinx, very well put!

These type of items could be called luxury, but in the face of the inflation we've seen the past 10+ years, the cost isn't THAT luxurious. I know many folks who spend the cost of a one plate ATT razor for 6 weeks of cable or satellite TV. Or a couple bottles of excellent wine or liquor!

I've always loved well machined steel tools not just for their utility and longevity, but for the elegance of the machining. These razors fall in this category for me.

Now on to Cases: not long ago I got a very utilitarian case for my ATT set... $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410307035.608089.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410307049.740452.jpg It worked well to protect the razors, but wasn't much of a looker.

I started looking around for an economical yet classier solution. Finally I found it in the guise of a cufflink / ring storage case.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410307166.040098.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410307180.873122.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410307191.464942.jpg

I'm very happy with this. Under $30 at an auction site near you!

I used to leave the 2 handles assembled. Now I take them apart and store them so I can get a chance to take out the case. Don't know how long that will last...

Last edited:
Jinx double ditto. Did the blade straightening thing with the Weber, got it 95 percent, but it bugs me that it is not straight. It shaves ok, but my R41 kicks it's butt. Love their handles though, have the bulldog and the classic. Just today received my ATT 7 pack, Kronos and colossus handles, and R1, R2, and H2 heads. Haven't tried it yet but will probably be returning the Colossus for a Kronos or Atlas. Looking forward to trying it, I agree, the workmanship is impeccable.

What baseplates do you have?

I have been going back and forth between the R1 and H1 and am finding that the H1, while more aggressive, leads to less aftershave sting, less irritation, less weepers and a slightly better shave than the R1. It is strange and I can't really explain it. I could shave with the H1 daily but psychologically I feel weird because it is supposed to be this super aggressive razor but it doesn't feel that way to me.

Does anyone else have that experience with the H1?

I sort of moved from the M1 almost straight to the H1. The M1 still works for me, but it takes more work. The R1 is for many a goldilocks in between ... but for me I think the H1's being more suitable for steep angle shaving makes the difference.

• +1 to both dfoulk and Jinx18
  • Some very popular electric razors are in the same price range and likely only last a few years
  • I was spending about $4 per week on cartridges ... so in another year my ATT Atlas 5 piece will sort of pay for itself in savings
  • For some, ATT is a RAD ender ... saving gosh who knows how much :blink:

Jinx double ditto. Did the blade straightening thing with the Weber, got it 95 percent, but it bugs me that it is not straight. It shaves ok, but my R41 kicks it's butt. Love their handles though, have the bulldog and the classic. Just today received my ATT 7 pack, Kronos and colossus handles, and R1, R2, and H2 heads. Haven't tried it yet but will probably be returning the Colossus for a Kronos or Atlas. Looking forward to trying it, I agree, the workmanship is impeccable.

DucS2R - congratulations on your 7 piece kit! I know you will be very happy with it. I had my favorite baseplate or 2 when i first started using an ATT razor, but now I love them all. A nice pairing with your R41...

• Some very popular electric razors are in the same price range and likely only last a few years

Wow, hadn't considered that, even though I did this twice! Both electrics didn't shave that well, and both lasted a handful of years. Thanks for bringing that up Shawn!

DucS2R - congratulations on your 7 piece kit! I know you will be very happy with it. I had my favorite baseplate or 2 when i first started using an ATT razor, but now I love them all. A nice pairing with your R41...

Thanks, knowing me I will have all of them before long as well :)

Thanks for the responses guys. I was looking over their website again and realized he's only an hour from me. I may try see if he will let me take a tour and check out his work first hand. Regardless I'm still highly interested in their razors.

I currently use and love my Merkur 34c, and wonder if anyone can comment on what setup would be close to the size/weight/feel/shave to that.

What baseplates do you have?

I have been going back and forth between the R1 and H1 and am finding that the H1, while more aggressive, leads to less aftershave sting, less irritation, less weepers and a slightly better shave than the R1. It is strange and I can't really explain it. I could shave with the H1 daily but psychologically I feel weird because it is supposed to be this super aggressive razor but it doesn't feel that way to me.

Does anyone else have that experience with the H1?

I have the M, R and H, all the safety bar variety ("1"). I had open comb plates previously, but wasn't a fan of the feel of them.

I don't know what Is about the H, but I find the angle more intuitive (I guess it's a bit steeper than with the R), and shave well with it. I can also get what is, for me, a nearly perfect shave in two passes. I don't find it overly aggressive at all. So, my experience seems to mirror yours.

Anyway, I love it, and am looking forward to using it in about 30 minutes!

Steve

Man, got my shave in late after some golf (I know, tough day). Proraso pre, MWF, Kronos with the H1 and a new GSB. Two passes and a beautiful shave finished with some cat o nine tails. Holy crap, I love this thing. Thanks, ATT/Stan, for making my shaving life soooo much better. I know, gushing, but had to be done.

Steve

Like I posted earlier I have been going back and forth between the R1 and H1 using mostly the H1. I have started shaving with the H1 daily now and after a bunch of consecutive days it may be a little too aggressive. I don't get really any strong alcohol burn from irritation and I don't get weepers at all but my skin feels slightly tender. I am going to switch to the R1 only and see how that feels.

Like I posted earlier I have been going back and forth between the R1 and H1 using mostly the H1. I have started shaving with the H1 daily now and after a bunch of consecutive days it may be a little too aggressive. I don't get really any strong alcohol burn from irritation and I don't get weepers at all but my skin feels slightly tender. I am going to switch to the R1 only and see how that feels.
I don't know. Maybe because I started wet shaving with straights, my skin is used to more blade contact, but it feels fine to me. Guess that's just another example of how shaving is such a personal thing. The R1 is great, but, for me, the H1 is just so damn good at what it does, and is fast, too.

I don't know. Maybe because I started wet shaving with straights, my skin is used to more blade contact, but it feels fine to me. Guess that's just another example of how shaving is such a personal thing. The R1 is great, but, for me, the H1 is just so damn good at what it does, and is fast, too.

Exactly. With the H1 you can feel the blade a lot. I haven't been wetshaving all that long so it's probably a sensation I am not used to that I am feeling. I'll see how the R1 goes.

Try it for thirty days free. If it's still not the razor for you ship it back for a full refund. It's by far the highest quality and smoothest shaving razor system I have ever used.

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of buying an ATT set for myself as an early Christmas present. The only problem is I can't decide whether or not to go Open Comb or not. I have thick, rough stubble, so I was thinking I could benefit from the aggressiveness of an open comb, but if this razor performs as well as people are saying, Open Comb might be a little too aggressive and I should just get the standard set.

Am currently using an EJ DE89 so that is what I'm comparing it to.

I would suggest getting an OC like a RR Jaws or Pearl OC or Gillette New Long Comb to try. Some folks think OCs are more aggressive than SB, others the reverse. For me OC razors are easier on my face than SB. I think it has to do with the comb leaving lather on the skin. You have to try it yourself to know for sure.

Or, you could get either a R1or R2 ATT razor and take advantage of the 30 day return policy to switch out to a different baseplate if you are unsatisfied with your initial choice.

Either way, I predict you will find an ATT combination that works for you.

Happy hunting!

My configuration, coming in the mail, will have the handle, three base plales, and a back plate. Has anyone come with a compact, but elegant way of displaying/protecting the plates?

I'd probably keep the razor loaded with a blade, and two plates on the side. Any ideas? Show pics, if possible.

Top Bottom