What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Am considering the H1 plate,I have the R1 as i heard the H1 is very aggressive and find it quite mild and because I am more used to steep angle shaving I seem to be getting a lot of nicks :-(

I prefer a steep angle shave with an Atlas R2 / R1. To me it is as smooth as my H2 / H1 steep angle.

Both need a consistent light touch - if I forget momentarily I can get a nick.

I prefer a steep angle shave with an Atlas R2 / R1. To me it is as smooth as my H2 / H1 steep angle.

Both need a consistent light touch - if I forget momentarily I can get a nick.
Thats interesting ,I find I tend to use quite a shallow angle with the R1 I couldn't get a steep angle to work for me, maybe I should retry using a steep angle

Also something I noticed was about how the razors are made. For the different plates I assumed the gap was controlled by raising and lowering the square portion of the base plate. In actuality the comb is milled lower to open the blade gap. I'm sure there's a reason for one over the other (most likely ease of manufacturing since it shouldn't effect the shave at all other than a thinner bar) but just an interesting observation I saw.

Last edited:
Also something I noticed was about how the razors are made. For the different plates I assumed the gap was controlled by raising and lowering the square portion of the base plate. In actuality the comb is milled lower to open the blade gap. I'm sure there's a reason for one over the other (most likely ease of manufacturing since it shouldn't effect the shave at all other than a thinner bar) but just an interesting observation I saw.
This is interesting, if anyone has different att baseplates and a camera I would love to see a visual comparison

This is interesting, if anyone has different att baseplates and a camera I would love to see a visual comparison

I should have taken a picture. I got the M1, R1 and H1 but just sent the M1 back for an R2. I know others have a set so hopefully they can post a pic.

So I did my 2nd and 3rd shaves with my ATT system. (first was with M2). My 2nd shave I used the same Astra SP blade with the R1 plate and it turned out very nice. After this shave I was wondering if maybe I needed to use a different blade I was getting a good shave but seemed to be pulling a little bit so figured I would try a different blade next time. Sunday I was feeling adventurous SOOO i stepped up to the H2 with a Feather blade. After 2 passes with it I switched to the Astra SP blade I had been using cause I was getting some nasty razor burn with the Feather and H2 plate. After switching It went much better and I got a great head shave out of it. This is by far the most aggressive razor setup I have ever shaved with and I'm not sure how much I will use the H2 head but it did very me a very good shave (especially after switching blades).

I have some more blades coming in this week and going to experiment with the M2 & R1 plates to see what blades they like best with my skin. So far I'm really liking my ATT system. Worth the $ I think other than blades and creams I can pretty much call this my last razor.

A nice ATT article was posted today on sharpologist:
"13 QUESTIONS FOR STAN HICKAM OF ABOVE THE TIE"

One question that I had on the upcoming slant model was addressed:
Q: There is interest among shavers about whether the slant will have multiple base plates to offer different degrees of aggressiveness. Do you have plans in this area?

A: We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. I’ll be interested to see the response to the first model before deciding on additional base plates.

Cheers!
Shawn

wrathen, congrats on buying a great kit! You may find after more time that the H2 becomes gentler in your hands. I initially reached for the R2 most often, I now enjoy the H2 just as much.

Enjoy your new gear!

Last week I only shaved Sunday evening. Fast forward to the next Sunday and I was able to use my H2 + Atlas ATG only with no irritation, no weepers and nearly BBS in that single pass.

It was strange when the hair on my upper lip vibrated as I exhaled. I'm not cut out for facial hair.

-Jon

... It was strange when the hair on my upper lip vibrated as I exhaled. I'm not cut out for facial hair.

-Jon
If your mustache was only one week old, give it time. Time to grow, and time for you to get used to it. I've had mine since starting to grow it on 1/1/72, and it's as if it were a part of me. :lol:

If your mustache was only one week old, give it time. Time to grow, and time for you to get used to it. I've had mine since starting to grow it on 1/1/72, and it's as if it were a part of me. :lol:

I have very sparse facial hair. It would never fill in; always more skin than hair would show. :) I did it in my 20s and after 6 months, I gave up for good.

-Jon

Just received the ATT Kronos H2. It has a nice weight to it and it feels very balanced to me. The shave was very smooth and aggressive enough to get a BBS shave with a couple of passes and a little touch up. While it's only one shave, I prefer it to the 2013 R41. This razor, along with the Futur that I have, may be killing my RAD (for now).

Just had my first shave with the Kronos R1 - all I can say is: now I understand...WOW!

Attachments

• $ATTR1Kronos2S.JPG
    $ATTR1Kronos2S.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 180
Congratulations you guys! Happy to hear you are enjoying the razors! IMO they are at or near the top of quality razor production, I love the shaves they provide!

Bartender, martinis all around, on me...:w00t::lol:

Top Bottom