What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

My Kronos R1 arrived today. Glad to be apart of the ATT club! I will paste my first impressions below:

I had my first shave with an Above The Tie razor today, and thought I would offer my first impressions. I have listed my rotation to give you an idea of razors I like:

Modern:
Rockwell 6S, Rex Ambassador.

Vintage: Gillette NEW RFB, Aristocrat Jr 49'(#21 head), Gillette Popular(#15 aristocrat head), Fatboy, 46' Aristocrat, 1934 Aristocrat.

The ATT razor feels very solid and has a nice weight to it. Threads feel wonderful, and I love the handle. The knurling is very grippy, and the length is similar to my 6s, which is one of my favorite handles.

The R1 has been highly recommended over the years, so I decided on getting that first. The R1 plate has a little more blade feel than I usually prefer, but the shave was excellent. I had to go a little slower, but the end result was a 3 pass BBS. It felt slightly agressive, but it shaved with nearly zero irritation.

I tried it with a Yellow 7oclock, wonder if a Nacet or GSB would smooth it out a little.

Overall really happy with it and it will have it's place in the rotation. This was my last purchase before the 2019 sabbatical, and I look forward to mastering the R1 plate.
View attachment 936147
I've always considered ATT R plates to be a little more than medium aggressive. When I got my R2 I was told that it was closer to the most aggressive H plates than the mild M's. It is a very efficient razor, but I've always found its smoothness to be about average. A shallower angle might smooth it out some. I almost always use Nacets or GSB, but I've used a lot of others, too. I find those two to be excellent blades in any razor. Effective, smooth, and durable.

After buying the Windsor R Recently and falling in love with it (also have the entire main line from ATT), my biggest wish would be to extend the Windsor line with Open combs of all heads, especially an R2 Windsor Head. I would buy that right away.

In time we get to the open combs in the Windsor format. This process takes time and we are trying to keep the transition as painless for our customers as we can. The next Windsor addition you will see will be the SE1 (single edge) head. This is a popular razor and we wanted to get it back on the site again soon. Look for it to appear at the end of January. We are also working on the Slant as well. Look for the Slant in February.
Many have asked about the Atlas, Kronos and Colossus. It is true they have been discontinued. However, don’t be shocked if one of them reappears as a special limited fun in 2019. Perhaps a Kronos Slant in Bronze or perhaps a Colossus SE1 in Titanium.
We will try to keep our offerings fresh.

In time we get to the open combs in the Windsor format. This process takes time and we are trying to keep the transition as painless for our customers as we can. The next Windsor addition you will see will be the SE1 (single edge) head. This is a popular razor and we wanted to get it back on the site again soon. Look for it to appear at the end of January. We are also working on the Slant as well. Look for the Slant in February.
Many have asked about the Atlas, Kronos and Colossus. It is true they have been discontinued. However, don’t be shocked if one of them reappears as a special limited fun in 2019. Perhaps a Kronos Slant in Bronze or perhaps a Colossus SE1 in Titanium.

Those are awesome news!!! I ADORE MY SE1 and can't wait to try the SE1 Windsor. Will that be accompanied by the same Windsor Handle or different polished handle?

The Windsor line looks beautiful, particularly the copper razors.

Picked up an H1 and H2 with Atlas and Kronos handles during the Black Friday sale. I liked the H2 a lot right out of the box while the H1 seemed to lack some blade feel. But the more I use them, the more they both grow on me. At this point I can't even necessarily say I prefer the H2 to the H1. These are razors that are going to take time to fully explore.

I love the quality though. They have such a wonderful finish and weight, and give the impression that they've been machined out of a solid ingot of steel.

Thanks for the update, Stan.

DBD0475F-EA10-46EB-A4FD-A543B71A9C31.jpeg
Been using R1 since 2013 and now picked up M2 base. Loaded with Feather it provided for a very comfortable close shave. I need to do it a few more times but I think I like it even better than R1. Especially for the morning half a sleep shave you could be still dreaming and yet when you wake up you are clean shaved and no nicks or irritation. I use it with Kronos handle. Wonderful system. Appreciate the machine finish that can hide micro scratches very well and if needed a bit of stainless steel cleaner in the direction of finish lines cleans it right up. If left a blade in in (I do it all the time) it will get a surface stains that are easily cleaned up with Barkeepers Friend or similar and an old tooth brush. Yes, it is quite expensive but I didn’t buy anything since 2013 while shaving daily, so not that bad per day. This year I couldn’t resist and got M2 plate as well as .95 timeless. Too many great razors, not enough of stubble grows per 24 hours.

The Windsor line looks beautiful, particularly the copper razors.

Picked up an H1 and H2 with Atlas and Kronos handles during the Black Friday sale. I liked the H2 a lot right out of the box while the H1 seemed to lack some blade feel. But the more I use them, the more they both grow on me. At this point I can't even necessarily say I prefer the H2 to the H1. These are razors that are going to take time to fully explore.

I love the quality though. They have such a wonderful finish and weight, and give the impression that they've been machined out of a solid ingot of steel.
Thanks for your kind words. The reason you get "the impression that they've been machined out of a solid ingot of steel" is because they are. Enjoy the shaves.

@Stan..2 quick questions. When do you expect the Windsor SE1 to hit the marketplace? Also will a SE2 baseplate follow in the future? Really enjoyed my shaves with the Windsor Copper with both baseplates and I've got to think the new SE1 will be even better than the old one. Oh and sorry one more question. Will you offer a polished version?
Thank you sir!

We will have the Windsor SE1 available in February. The Satin finish will be offered first. A polished model will follow. The SE2 will be a bit delayed as the Windsor Slant will be next in line. I appreciate every ones patience as we make this transition to our new platform. It has proved to be more challenging than expected. However, we have two machine shops that machine parts for us another that does the polishing and a third that anodizes our aluminum razors. As you can imagine phasing out a product, introducing a new product and transitioning existing products has been a lot to juggle. We will soon have this all sorted out and I believe many of you will really enjoy our Windsor razor line.

Sorry I'm late to the game. I'm in the UK and have been proper wet shaving for 12 years. I started with an EJ DE89 like many others.

I built a shave den then left the hobby for a number years, all the while just using up my store of blades/soaps and the de89. Lockdown in 2021 got me back into all again and I picked up and R41 head along with a Merkur 15.

I went all stainless around May 2021 with a Gamechanger .68 then a REX Envoy followed by a Feather AS-D2. Each purchase upped my game leading me to an epiphany.

I'd seen the ATT razors but high cost coupled shipping costs and import duty made them effectively out of my reach but as luck would have it an M2 with a Kronos handle fell into my lap. BINGO! I was hooked and enthralled at the sheer quality and precision that it exuded. Im a major tool hoarder so I can appreciate the precision engineering that goes into these things.

Since then I've added a 5 piece closed comb set with an Atlas handle and an S2 slant with another Kronos handle. Just this week I snagged an S1 slant head and have ESC Outlaw Supergrip handle for it.

So my ATT setup comprises and M2, M1, R1, H1, S1 AND S2 with an Atlas and 2x Kronos handles. I've currently got my eye on a 3 pack of open comb plates. With a birthday coming up soon I'm hoping that a little money comes my way so that I can pick them up and complete the setup.

If you have not tried it, you should try the new Windsor Pro.... shaves like a dream...efficient yet does not feel aggressive.....and despite being made in China, has ATT quality written all over it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sorry I'm late to the game. I'm in the UK and have been proper wet shaving for 12 years. I started with an EJ DE89 like many others.

I built a shave den then left the hobby for a number years, all the while just using up my store of blades/soaps and the de89. Lockdown in 2021 got me back into all again and I picked up and R41 head along with a Merkur 15.

I went all stainless around May 2021 with a Gamechanger .68 then a REX Envoy followed by a Feather AS-D2. Each purchase upped my game leading me to an epiphany.

I'd seen the ATT razors but high cost coupled shipping costs and import duty made them effectively out of my reach but as luck would have it an M2 with a Kronos handle fell into my lap. BINGO! I was hooked and enthralled at the sheer quality and precision that it exuded. Im a major tool hoarder so I can appreciate the precision engineering that goes into these things.

Since then I've added a 5 piece closed comb set with an Atlas handle and an S2 slant with another Kronos handle. Just this week I snagged an S1 slant head and have ESC Outlaw Supergrip handle for it.

So my ATT setup comprises and M2, M1, R1, H1, S1 AND S2 with an Atlas and 2x Kronos handles. I've currently got my eye on a 3 pack of open comb plates. With a birthday coming up soon I'm hoping that a little money comes my way so that I can pick them up and complete the setup.
Nice collection. The R2 was my first stainless razor and I've never considered trading or selling it. It may not be as pretty as some others I've had, but I've yet to find a more efficient razor. I also use the SE2 and that is easily my favorite single edge. I have the Atlas and Kronos handles, but almost always use the Atlas.

Another fun razor in the ATT pipeline is the X1. It's a Single Edge Slant razor. Think of the SE1 in a Slant configuration.
To my knowledge, when avaliable, it will be the only such razor on the market.

Keep this up and you will soon have the entire collection! I have a Classic, Windsor and Windsor Pro.

Top Bottom