What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

The first DE I owned was a Merkur 33c. I learned on that for about a year before I considered buying another razor. I bought a 39c, but noticed some plating problems so returned it immediately. At that point, I decided to just go for it and buy an ATT. The Kronos R2 I purchased ended my RAD before it even began --- I seriously cannot fathom a better razor than this! I'm only mildly interested in trying the H2 plate, but I reckon I likely will eventually. I like that my R2 plate has the 2013 date on it b/c that's the year my son was born --- I hope that someday he will be interested in receiving it, and that this razor will start to acquire family heirloom status at that time. :)

The first DE I owned was a Merkur 33c. I learned on that for about a year before I considered buying another razor. I bought a 39c, but noticed some plating problems so returned it immediately. At that point, I decided to just go for it and buy an ATT. The Kronos R2 I purchased ended my RAD before it even began --- I seriously cannot fathom a better razor than this! I'm only mildly interested in trying the H2 plate, but I reckon I likely will eventually. I like that my R2 plate has the 2013 date on it b/c that's the year my son was born --- I hope that someday he will be interested in receiving it, and that this razor will start to acquire family heirloom status at that time. :)

That'll be a particularly great birth year razor... I hope he's into it, when the time comes. I highly recommend the M plates, too... one of which you may get in 2013 flavor, too. (I guess there's no telling if he might prefer the H as well, later.... hmmm.)

Last edited:
I bonded with the R1 first, but also really like the M2 and H2. Hey it is a shaving system, remember that when explaining it to your wife (and son). I have my dad's and my grand dad's razors, and even my father-in-law's razor, and they all will go to my kids. I have already converted my older son to DE shaving, though he is 25 years older than yours!

I was very surprised at the quality of the two pass shave I did with the M2 today, smooth shave and near BBS. It helps that the lather (Prorasso) came out perfect today and I took the time to re lather for the second pass :)

I was rushed the other morning and did a one-pass with one of the H's -- I forget if it was the H1 or H2 -- on the Maggard MR8 stainless handle. It was a fine shave. I'd rate it SAS+, especially for the little time it took -- about 5 minutes including prep and cleanup. Great razor-handle combination -- like a heavy luxury car that really grips the road.

With your experience with aggressive razors you might just go directly to the H2. Good luck with it

I'm an R41 (2013) shaver and after being stunned with the info that it only has a 3-5 year life expectancy,
I decided to spend the big bucks on an ATT H-2 that should out live me.
Due to arrive on Monday.
Hope it's all I've heard.

Careful light shave, which means I have not fully tested it, but for an aggressive razor I found it handled great for a one pass shave, slightly better than the R41. Do your prep, get a good lather, and use no weight, and I will bet you love it. Again, please post your experience.

I went with a mild shave tonight, used a NEW with a two pass shave, but will hit the H2 with a two pass shave on Monday night, I shave every other day.

T.

Received a Kronos R1 today. Have to say, it scares the s**t out of me. I'm coming from decades with Gillette Good News razors, which I can use blindfolded.

Tomorrow AM will be interesting...
I remember this feeling when my 34c showed up...also when my Dovo special arrived!

I remember this feeling when my 34c showed up...also when my Dovo special arrived!
The first shave with the R1 was somewhat unpleasant. Really close, but with a few nicks and some abrasion (going against the grain). Stan is going to send me an M1 plate to try instead of the R1. Keep in mind, I've had decades of very close and satisfactory shaves with the Gillette Good News, so the ATT DE razor experiment is just that. I'm open to new things, but I'm obstinate, and dealing with a shaving learning curve is low on my list of priorities.

Still, I'm keeping an open mind!

Last edited:
Today I received my first ATT razor. I bought a kronos handle with an m1 baseplate from a member here at the forum.

Really looking forward to tomorrow mornings shave. I've read a lot of positive reviews about this razor and I hope it lives up to it's name. I'll post my results tomorrow.

First shave this morning with a m1 baseplate. It was a very mild shave. Very comfortable and smooth, but I had more hair than normal left behind after a wtg and xtg pass. An atg pass cleaned up the remainder nicely.

I really like the build of this razor and don't feel guilty anymore about the amount of money spent to get one. I do like open combs so I ordered an R2 baseplate off the ATT website. I can see this becoming my favorite razor after a few more shaving sessions.

Last edited:
First shave this morning with a m1 baseplate. It was a very mild shave. Very comfortable and smooth, but I had more hair than normal left behind after a wtg and xtg pass. An atg pass cleaned up the remainder nicely.

I really like the build of this razor and don't feel guilty anymore about the amount of money spent to get one. I do like open combs so I ordered an M2 baseplate off the ATT website. I can see this becoming my favorite razor after a few more shaving sessions.

The M2 is more often than not considered to be a bit more aggressive than the M1 (link to related poll) ... so it sounds like it might hit that efficiency/comfort sweet spot for you. :thumbsup:

Cheers!
Shawn

Anyone notice the subtle differences in the scallops on the solid bar?

The R1 is small grooves, the M1 is a little deeper and the H1 is very deep and rounded and smooth.

Horrible phone photo sorry.
M1, R1, H1
$uploadfromtaptalk1412035683403.jpg

How would you compare the att h2 open comb to the muhle r41 or the ikon straight bar if you have used either one?

I have been shaving with the H2 for a little over a week.
Before that my daily razor for over six months was the R41.
The H2 is not as close as the R41 but I'm not sure it matters.
The H2 gives a very close shave (almost as close as the R41) but is so much smother.
I can really feel the blade shaving with the R41 the H2 is almost without any blade feel.
I wound't give either of them up

The first shave with the R1 was somewhat unpleasant. Really close, but with a few nicks and some abrasion (going against the grain). Stan is going to send me an M1 plate to try instead of the R1. Keep in mind, I've had decades of very close and satisfactory shaves with the Gillette Good News, so the ATT DE razor experiment is just that. I'm open to new things, but I'm obstinate, and dealing with a shaving learning curve is low on my list of priorities.

Still, I'm keeping an open mind!

@tvad: How did the M1 work out for you?

Top Bottom