What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Folks, I appreciate the feedback. A little history, back on pages 14 and 15 (I think) of this thread:

I started with the R1. Didn't think it was too aggressive, I thought it was "rough". I swapped it out for the M2. I still thought it was rough. Then I traded for the M1.

I think there is a very distinct difference between rough and aggressive. I thoroughly enjoyed the R41, and although I didn't feel it was rough, it most certainly was aggressive. I kept going down in "aggressiveness" to get less "roughness". I think that lead me to "smooth", but not as aggressive as I'd like.

I know it's convoluted, but that's my journey.

I think Chris.Hale nailed it. The M1 is not equivalent to the NEW, but I wanted to avoid "rough".

I'll give it a few more and let the contingent know. Believe me, folks, I wanted this to be the RAD ender. I had the NEWs first, otherwise it might've been. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is an awful razor; in fact, quite the opposite. It's a splendid razor. It's just that it isn't the pinnacle I'd hoped it would be.

Folks, I appreciate the feedback. A little history, back on pages 14 and 15 (I think) of this thread:

I started with the R1. Didn't think it was too aggressive, I thought it was "rough". I swapped it out for the M2. I still thought it was rough. Then I traded for the M1.

I think there is a very distinct difference between rough and aggressive. I thoroughly enjoyed the R41, and although I didn't feel it was rough, it most certainly was aggressive. I kept going down in "aggressiveness" to get less "roughness". I think that lead me to "smooth", but not as aggressive as I'd like.

I know it's convoluted, but that's my journey.

I think Chris.Hale nailed it. The M1 is not equivalent to the NEW, but I wanted to avoid "rough".

I'll give it a few more and let the contingent know. Believe me, folks, I wanted this to be the RAD ender. I had the NEWs first, otherwise it might've been. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is an awful razor; in fact, quite the opposite. It's a splendid razor. It's just that it isn't the pinnacle I'd hoped it would be.

If you like the R41, I think I'd recommend trying the other end of the spectrum with the H1 or H2 baseplates. I love my H1, and by using it at the steep angle I find it milder than the R1 and (obviously) much more efficient than the M1.

I've seen several posts that compare the H1 to the R41 with the H1 being more controlled, easier to shave with, and much smoother. But YMMV....

Sorry for your frustration, but you should probably swap baseplates again with ATT or with another B&B member. You obviously like the razor, I think you just need to find your right fit in baseplates.

Oh, and also, while I would recommend a mild blade if your R1 felt too harsh, I would recommend a sharp blade (like you mentioned typically favoring) in the M1.

I hope it works out for you as you wanted.

Cheers,
Shawn

Last edited:
Most people who have posted about the issue say the "2" baseplates are marginally more mild than their "1" counterparts, no? If that's the case, the R2, rather than the M2, would be a more oranges-to-oranges comparison with a NEW I would think. (I don't have an R2 plate, so just extrapolating from posts, here).

I do not have personal experience with the OC baseplates, but by the recent surveys, and the second version of my ranking algorithm, the ATT baseplates rank in aggression like this:

8.5 Above the Tie (ATT) H2 open comb
8.0 Above the Tie (ATT) H1 solid bar
6.5 Above the Tie (ATT) R1 solid bar and R2 open comb
5.0 Above the Tie (ATT) M2 open comb
4.0 Above the Tie (ATT) M1 solid bar

Strangely, the R2 is the only OC baseplate that they survey results indicate is not slightly more aggressive that the SB version. I don't know why, but these numbers do reflect the survey results....

More info here:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

Ok, I have had the 7 piece set (colossus, Kronos, H2, R1, R2) for a week and just added an Atlas and M2 so I could compare all side by side. So far great shaves with the Kronos and R1 and the Atlas and M2, rough shave with nicks with the Colossus and R2. I attribute the latter to the Colossus handle and a rushed shave with poor lather. I am going to return the Colossus handle but want to give the R2 another try. My goal is to keep two handles and three bases. Probably try the R2 again next, then the H2.

I am thinking about exchanging the R2 for the H1 given how much I like the R1 and working up to the H2 when needed (I am comfortable with an R41).

I was very surprised at the quality of the two pass shave I did with the M2 today, smooth shave and near BBS. It helps that the lather (Prorasso) came out perfect today and I took the time to re lather for the second pass :)

Gentlemen,

It is with a heavy heart that I throw in the towel. I have tried three different baseplates, six different blades, different beard lengths, different soaps (although each was used at least twice for consistency's sake), but today was the last straw.

Massive irritation from my go-to blade, with a perfect pre/post routine, and I think I'm going to stick to NEWs. No doubt in my mind this razor will make someone in these forums happy, but it's just not me. I'm going to wait out my two weeks for the BST and throw it up there (I'm just laying out my plan and expressing opinions. If this is against forum etiquette, will a Mod please let me know and I'll edit?).

Thank you, folks, for the great advice and opinions. Believe me, they were gladly accepted and used.

Next you have get on the list for the L.A. Shaving Co.'s BBS- 1. (I live vicariously through others, clearly).

Too bad this one didn't work out. At least you know how much you do like NEWs.

@JasonandMichelle: no H1? Sorry your 3 baseplates didn't work out ... but I guess there probably isn't any way to make a razor that is ideal for everyone....

Does anyone have a telephone number or email address to get in touch with Above The Tie?? Sent a couple contact requests through the website but haven't heard anything back...

Thanks,
GiL

@JasonandMichelle: no H1? Sorry your 3 baseplates didn't work out ... but I guess there probably isn't any way to make a razor that is ideal for everyone....

When I set out on my "find the best DE" journey about two months ago (since which time I've gone through about 25 different razors), my goal was to find the best combination of smooth and low on the aggressive scale. As I went down that path, I found that some were more efficient than others (require less passes for similar results). I found that while my R41 was a great razor, and was VERY efficient, it was a bit aggressive for my blood.

I would love to have tried the H1, but based on the H1/2's comparisons to the R41 I decided to pass. My concern is it would be more cost and more time for similar results.

Shawnsel, your statistics and fervor are appreciated and admired:)

When I set out on my "find the best DE" journey about two months ago (since which time I've gone through about 25 different razors), my goal was to find the best combination of smooth and low on the aggressive scale. As I went down that path, I found that some were more efficient than others (require less passes for similar results). I found that while my R41 was a great razor, and was VERY efficient, it was a bit aggressive for my blood.

I would love to have tried the H1, but based on the H1/2's comparisons to the R41 I decided to pass. My concern is it would be more cost and more time for similar results.

Makes sense then. Maybe one of the new slants coming out soon then? RazoRock and ATT both have Stainless Steel slants coming out soon. The RazoRock is reportedly mild yet still efficient....

Anyone notice their ATT is fussier with blades? With my EJDE89 I could put in practically any blade and get a good shave. With my R1 and H1 it is much larger feeling difference between blades.

Anyone notice their ATT is fussier with blades? With my EJDE89 I could put in practically any blade and get a good shave. With my R1 and H1 it is much larger feeling difference between blades.

I personally found differences in blades with my EJ when I was using it, but I think your observation makes sense ... greater blade exposure in the R1 and H1 might make the differences between blades more noticeable than in the EJ89.

Makes sense then. Maybe one of the new slants coming out soon then? RazoRock and ATT both have Stainless Steel slants coming out soon. The RazoRock is reportedly mild yet still efficient....

Is that right? I thought RazoRock was planning only the aluminum slants, now that the prototypes (both stainless and I aluminum) are gone. I could be wrong of course. Wouldn't be the first time (on this thread).

I think I read in one thread that the prototypes were aluminum and the final versions were to be stainless steel ... but I don't really know....

Does anyone have a telephone number or email address to get in touch with Above The Tie?? Sent a couple contact requests through the website but haven't heard anything back...

Thanks,
GiL

I sent in a question to Stan on the website a couple of days ago and had a nice response within the hour.

T

Yes, the Personna blue labs are just too harsh in the H1 or R1, but do fine in my EJDE89. I typically use Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow or Astra SP in my H1 and they do fine.

Tried the H2 for the first time, used an Astra SP and the Atlas handle. Had a good lather with DR Harris Windsor and Prorasso green pre shave. Used a very light touch and did a single pass shave. Definitely a DFS, not quite as close as the two pass with the M2, but absolutely no irritation (I had some irritation with the double pass with the M2, and a lot after my rushed shave with the R2. So, emailed Stan and I am keeping the Atlas and Kronos handles and the M2, R1 and H2 plates, had great but different shaves with all three. Sending back the Colossus handle and the R2 plate. Love the ATT System!

Received a Kronos R1 today. Have to say, it scares the s**t out of me. I'm coming from decades with Gillette Good News razors, which I can use blindfolded.

Tomorrow AM will be interesting...

Top Bottom