What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Received my Colossus today , great razor. I went for the R1 plate, had heard it was quite aggressive for a moderate plate but this is not the case at all, it is definitely a moderate shaver and was much milder than my Ikon SB or my Cadet, gives a very smooth shave.

It is always comes down to YMMV:

For me, I've been using my ATT (5pc set) for the last month trying different configurations between H1, M1 and R1 baseplates. I've more or less settled on the R1 baseplate as my go to. I've previously been using Polsilver SI blades which proved a bit harsh for me. The last 2 weeks I've been using Wilkinson Sword blades with R1 and H1 baseplate and I've been getting some of the best comfortable BBS shaves consistently.

Trying out different blades highlights other traits in your razor (in this case baseplate).

My first shave with the H2 plate that arrived today (Thanks Josh), i had an excellent shave, it shaves just like the R2 but closer.

I would compare the shave to a Fatip (with Bulldog handle) or iKon Standard (2013) as it is a very smooth shaver. Not at all like the R41 '13, but gives a very similar result.

I used my Weber Bulldog handle, i prefer using that and my UFO Kaiser Short to the Atlas that came with my R2, although the Atlas is a lovely looking handle.

The 'problem' i have now is, i wouldn't mind trying the R1 & H1 plates.
Trying the h1 with Kronos handle for the first time tonight. R1 has been great for a full 3 pass, and want to see what 2 passes with the h1 is like. Then hopefully 3 passes once I get it down. I love this razor.

Steep angle shaving with the H baseplates works surprisingly well doesn't it? :thumbsup:
It is working great. And I've been using one Perma-Sharp Super for about 7 or 8 shaves now and it's still working great. So I'm not convinced steep angle shaving reduces blade life at all (at least in this razor). For me, the key to blade life is good prep. Get the whiskers soft before shaving and the blade doesn't dull nearly as fast. And the shaves are much more comfortable. If anyone wants to try steep angle shaving, I heartily recommend the H2. The H1 worked but not quite as well for me.

I think we should start a swap/trade thread. I assume it would need to be put in the B/S/T section but there we could post what parts we have for trade and if you want to swap with someone for a couple of weeks or trade parts completely. I upgraded to the 7 piece set with the solid bar plates but would still like to try the open combs too. I would be willing to temporarily or even permanently trade baseplates. Just an idea.

I think this would be one whale of an idea. Work together with other B&B members for win-win solutions? I'm in.

Ah OK. I wonder if we would have to do something similar to the blade exchange thread where everything would be sent to one person who managed the resources. I don't think anyone would really want to do it that way.
Thanks for the try though!

Soooo. Pulled the trigger a few minutes ago and ordered me a ATT Colossus 5pc with M2, R1, & H2 plates. I really hope I can get them by this weekend that would be great. So I can have some leisure and enjoy a new shaver.

So, for those who recently received their ATTs ... report in. How's it goin?

Also a new quote from Leisureguy's blog:
(author of, "Leisureguy’s Guide to Gourmet Shaving")

The ATT razor with the R baseplate truly resides among the “mild-aggressive” razors: total comfort, yet immediate and complete stubble removal: BBS after 3 passes.

Mine is "Out for Delivery" and I'm at WORK!!!! grrrr.... so waiting for it to come in today going to set aside some time tonight to do my first ATT shave super excited! I'll post back tonight or tomorrow.... havent shaved since Monday night to give myself some growth.

So while at lunch I opened the box and WOW craftmanship is wonderful, balance of the Colossus handle w/ top cap and head felt great in the hand. With no blade I did a few test strokes and magnificent feel and balance on both WTG & ATG.

I cant wait to get home after work and test them out. I got the M2, S1, & H2 plates .... not sure which I should try first?!?!? I have used the Merkur 34c & Futur only and the M plates are supposed to be about the same aggression as the 34c but its also my first O.C. so not sure which to try first .....

Here is a picture of my stuff all unpacked. First time getting any Proraso aswell.

$jm7sCia.jpg

Try the R1 and decide from there if you want more or less aggressive. Also need to decide if you want to do shallow angle technique with the H2 plate or not.

So, for those who recently received their ATTs ... report in. How's it goin?

Also a new quote from Leisureguy's blog:
(author of, "Leisureguy’s Guide to Gourmet Shaving")

I got the 7 piece kit. With the M1, R1, and H1. I used the M1 a bunch and got great irritation free shaves but for me it was just too mild. Not taking enough off with each pass. It felt way more wild then my EJ. I tried the R1 and it is right were I like. Seems a little more aggressive then the EJ but not overbearing. It's a new razor so still working on the right angle and everything but I think this is what I will use almost all the time. I haven't tried the H1 yet though. I am going to swap the M1 for an R2. I love the razor and with more uses I hope it becomes like second nature to me like my EJ.

So I did my first shave with my new ATT razor last night and all I can so is WOW most likely the best same I have ever had. I really wanted to try an OC and didnt think it would be wise to jump straight to the H2 plate so I tried my M2 plate. I really like my Colossus handle it is perfect for me YMMV. Its extra length helps greatly when trying to do ATG passes on the back of my head allowing me to feel like I actually have a hold on the handle instead of just the tip of it.

I normally shave in the mornings but was excited last night and wanted to give it a go. This morning about 8 hours later I still have a very nice shave with very little growth. If this is what I will be normally dealing with after work when I shave in the morning I will be extremely happy.

Top Bottom