What's new

About to purchase CJB Straight Kamisori Razor....would like advise on Blades

Hey guys. I posted a new video over the weekend and it was just my 3rd shave with the kamisori shavette. I'm making improvements, but could always use more tips. Please tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Lather looks better, and you are stretching better, but you still have the spine too far away from your face. If you watch your video again, you can see the razor skipping on parts of your face. That is because your angle is off. You won't cut hairs efficiently, but you will cut your face faster when this happens.

Lather looks better, and you are stretching better, but you still have the spine too far away from your face. If you watch your video again, you can see the razor skipping on parts of your face. That is because your angle is off. You won't cut hairs efficiently, but you will cut your face faster when this happens.
Thanks for catching that. I did notice that later. I'll pay more attention to that next time.... baby steps hehe

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Congrats mate you did well better then me, my 8th last night and managed to take a chunk out of my chin. The toe side of the blade got my cheek to today like you I'm sore.... No very sore....

But your getting the hang of it, as been said lather was way to thick and get your spine down closer to your face and take your time.

Congrats mate you did well better then me, my 8th last night and managed to take a chunk out of my chin. The toe side of the blade got my cheek to today like you I'm sore.... No very sore....

But your getting the hang of it, as been said lather was way to thick and get your spine down closer to your face and take your time.
Thanks for the feedback... more water and the spine closer to my face [emoji4]

Thanks for the feedback... more water and the spine closer to my face [emoji4]

Yep that's it mate, but you did well on your first go. And yes they get better the more you do, but just take your time and plan it and it will all start to fall into place.

Feather makes several blades that fit the SS. If you have never used an SS, may I suggest you try their ProGuard blade before you try the Professional? I wish I had, it would have saved me some blood.
I recently bought both the folding and non folding Feather SS, and have been trying several blades. If you are new to the shavette, Feather also has a blade that I really like called the Feather Pro Soft Guard, that will probably be the greatest razor you can use while starting out. link to try 1 or 2 blades (more if you like) All Artist Club Razor Blades - TryABlade.com I have shaved very close with my SS "Kamisori" style razor (non folding) with the SoftGuard and was impressed. Don't let it fool you though, I managed to nick myself around my chin area a small bit. So they are just as sharp as any other Feather, but with their guard system shave a whole lot more like my DE blades. Very soft feeling glide across your face.

I came here in a search for info on the CJB razor as was considering one, and was looking for more information. An older thread in here there are comparisons to the SS, DX and the CJB razors, and the DX and CJB are a lot more closely related to each other than the SS. BTW, the SS has a small ridge that goes down the length close to the cutting edge that might make for a better shave to the OP. Reason, is that it has to be held at a steeper angle from the face to shave well. Just it's design. Too flat and all you are doing is skimming off lather. For information that pictures were at this thread: Feather DX vs. SS Both the CJB and the Feather DX look more like the wedge style straights, and Feather blades and Schick Pro Line work in them.

Thanks for the tips! I really appreciate it. I put up a 2nd video, and yes, you're right, my angle was way off. I did a lot better lol

Lathering the face in sections really worked for me when getting started, since I took a longer time to get reacquainted with my face/razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lathering the face in sections really worked for me when getting started, since I took a longer time to get reacquainted with my face/razor.

I just posted my 4th shave and it went really well! The lather dried up a bit on my neck, but added a bit of water and kept going. I'm still having issues on my lower neck, but I'll get there [emoji41]

I still later in sections for my last pass (atg).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I received in a "CJB" razor a short while back from a seller on eBay. Looking it over I had issues with the fit and finish and the fact that if you put in a blade the blade would not only wiggle back and forth at the toe (front), but if you tapped the razor against your hand the tip of the blade would come out. Having a wiggling blade that is not held solid can contribute to nicks and cuts, no matter how careful you shave. I contacted the seller and he sent me another Korean made CJB razor and told me to keep the first one. The second was even in worse shape. Tips that don't meet, edges that are not flush with each other (at the exit part of razor that exposes the blade), blade holding edges that don't hold the blade hard enough to prevent a dislodgement of the blade. Now I haven't tried "hundreds" of blades, but the 2 I have are "project" razors that I'll work on.

In the meantime I received in a DX Feather that is similar to the CJB, but world away in quality. I shave daily with this since getting it in about 11 days ago and nary a nick or cut or weeper even though it is a razor that has a wee bit more blade exposure than my Feather SS razors. It holds the blade nice and tight.

Just giving my 2 cents worth about my experience with the CJB. Try this sometime: Put in a blade in a clean and dry CJB razor and holding the handle tap the razor (ONLY THE HANDLE PART) against your other hand and see if the blade moves out. Another trial that I used was to take the eraser end of the pencil and see if the blade moved side to side in the razor. Mine did on the toe end and that was always the end that came out with the "shake" of the razor.

Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback. I must have gotten a good one as I do not have any issues with the blade wiggling or falling out. I have tapped it and nothing, but I'll give the eraser test a try. I am currently trying to get my hands on a Kai Captain for a really good price, fingers crossed. But, yeah, I totally understand the difference in quality with the CJB and Feather DX and how that can effect the shaving experience. I just couldn't shell out tnat kind of money at the time and I really couldn't pass on the deal I got. I have read quite a few reviews on the CJB and many have a positive experience with them. (apologies for the late reply, been a busy week)

I received in a "CJB" razor a short while back from a seller on eBay. Looking it over I had issues with the fit and finish and the fact that if you put in a blade the blade would not only wiggle back and forth at the toe (front), but if you tapped the razor against your hand the tip of the blade would come out. Having a wiggling blade that is not held solid can contribute to nicks and cuts, no matter how careful you shave. I contacted the seller and he sent me another Korean made CJB razor and told me to keep the first one. The second was even in worse shape. Tips that don't meet, edges that are not flush with each other (at the exit part of razor that exposes the blade), blade holding edges that don't hold the blade hard enough to prevent a dislodgement of the blade. Now I haven't tried "hundreds" of blades, but the 2 I have are "project" razors that I'll work on.

In the meantime I received in a DX Feather that is similar to the CJB, but world away in quality. I shave daily with this since getting it in about 11 days ago and nary a nick or cut or weeper even though it is a razor that has a wee bit more blade exposure than my Feather SS razors. It holds the blade nice and tight.

Just giving my 2 cents worth about my experience with the CJB. Try this sometime: Put in a blade in a clean and dry CJB razor and holding the handle tap the razor (ONLY THE HANDLE PART) against your other hand and see if the blade moves out. Another trial that I used was to take the eraser end of the pencil and see if the blade moved side to side in the razor. Mine did on the toe end and that was always the end that came out with the "shake" of the razor.

Oh man, watching it around the neck kind of freaks me out. I want to try this but am worried about the chin and neck area. It seems like such an awkward position. Thanks for the video though, I can get an idea of how other people do it before I make a purchase.

Top Bottom