What's new

About to buy a Timeless (95 vs 68)

just ordered .95 OC in polished SS myself.

Im an every other day shaver, not daily, so I figured it would be ok to get a blade that's a bit more on the aggro side.

For figuring the razor out, would it be best to start with GSBs (my typical choice) or the seemingly less sharp Astra SP? I get the sense the trick with this razor is the absolute rigidity the blade is held with, and as such a sharper blade might actually produce a smoother shave.

Im an every other day shaver, not daily, so I figured it would be ok to get a blade that's a bit more on the aggro side.

For figuring the razor out, would it be best to start with GSBs (my typical choice) or the seemingly less sharp Astra SP? I get the sense the trick with this razor is the absolute rigidity the blade is held with, and as such a sharper blade might actually produce a smoother shave.
Congrats! Yes its holds the blade tight. Blade friendly. I use Astra SPs and Feathers in mine.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks to this thread, among others, and the local support group, "Enablers R Us," just ordered a .68 scalloped baseplate.

Why: Though I like mean razors, I have many such ... R41, Single Rings, OLDs that bite, etc.

Looking for a titanium daily driver and my favorites tend to middle-of-road ... I tend to use pressure: I can get a close shave with a Blue Tip, a Feather Popular, a Tech ... and the scalloped should be halfway between solid bar and harsher open comb. Was sure I didn't want a .95 OC. (Wasn't sure I didn't want a .95 SB, and may get one later.)

So. Eventually you have to pick. And can always get another.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Then again you could've ordered a dual comb plate, OC/SC or OC/SB or SC/SB, and not ever have to worry about ordering/waiting on another...

As the Timeless people point out; those many choices can about make you lose your mind ... so I ordered off the menu.

Besides. I already want a bronze one!

AA

Congrats. A great razor. When I first made the change from carts to DE I read all the information I could from the forums to get a sense of what works and what doesn't. It helped but there is no better teacher than experience despite the occasional bloodletting. Once I decided on a Timeless and after speaking with Matt I decided on a SS with a Scalloped top with a 68 DC OC/ SB. A few months later I ordered a SS 95 DC OC /Scalloped Bar. I also I read many reviews on blades and the best advice was to get a blade sample pack. The first blade that resonated was the Astra SB. It was a great blade to find the right technique. Eventually I found the Polsilvers to be the right blade for the 68 as a daily driver. With more confidence I started to use the Kai and Feather blades. When I use the 68 as a daily driver I really enjoy the Feathers. Recently I revisited the 95 as a daily driver and the Polsilvers work for me. As my touch improves I hope to step up to the Feathers for daily drives. YMMV and all. It has been a fun journey to find what works and that is the point. If you think this is only key decsion for finding the right combo for shaving there is that little rabbit hole with soap and creating lather and don't forget which brush - badger, boar or synthetic, what size knot, then there is the post shave... toner, balm, AS, alcohol , non alcohol, menthol perhaps, fragrance or fragrance free......

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Congrats. A great razor. When I first made the change from carts to DE I read all the information I could from the forums to get a sense of what works and what doesn't. It helped but there is no better teacher than experience despite the occasional bloodletting. Once I decided on a Timeless and after speaking with Matt I decided on a SS with a Scalloped top with a 68 DC OC/ SB. A few months later I ordered a SS 95 DC OC /Scalloped Bar. I also I read many reviews on blades and the best advice was to get a blade sample pack. The first blade that resonated was the Astra SB. It was a great blade to find the right technique. Eventually I found the Polsilvers to be the right blade for the 68 as a daily driver. With more confidence I started to use the Kai and Feather blades. When I use the 68 as a daily driver I really enjoy the Feathers. Recently I revisited the 95 as a daily driver and the Polsilvers work for me. As my touch improves I hope to step up to the Feathers for daily drives. YMMV and all. It has been a fun journey to find what works and that is the point. If you think this is only key decsion for finding the right combo for shaving there is that little rabbit hole with soap and creating lather and don't forget which brush - badger, boar or synthetic, what size knot, then there is the post shave... toner, balm, AS, alcohol , non alcohol, menthol perhaps, fragrance or fragrance free......

Thanks! After a few years, I finally realized I can probably get a good shave with any razor ... read a great article about Timeless ... and since I already have a titanium handle ... stepping up!

AA

As the Timeless people point out; those many choices can about make you lose your mind ... so I ordered off the menu.

Besides. I already want a bronze one!

AA
Nice choice. I have the .95 OC/Scalloped dual plate and the .68 smooth plate all in Titanium. Wonderful! The .38 smooth Bronze I can use everyday it's that smooth. I find I reach for the .95OC/SC more but I shave every 2-3 days.

I think that need to make a gap between 68 and 95 in the SS and TI heads for those who want a bit more in a daily driver and find the 95 a just tad too much.

What they really should do is make plates the way Rockwell does one side 0.68 the other 0.95 so that they can make just one plate and save for everyone time and money

Congratulations, hope you like it.

For what it's worth (you know, YMMV), I did not get "as good" results with Astra or Gillette (7O'clock).

I find that Kai and Feather work the best with Timeless for me, followed by Polsilver and Nacet.

Results were almost utopic good. Have sold every single razor I owned (including 5 ATTs, Wolfman WR1, Blackland Vector and more). Only kept the 2 Timeless and the Blackbird. I dont need anything else, ever.
Famous last words lol. Was the 68 to your liking or are you enjoying the 95?

Results were almost utopic good. Have sold every single razor I owned (including 5 ATTs, Wolfman WR1, Blackland Vector and more). Only kept the 2 Timeless and the Blackbird. I dont need anything else, ever.

I totally agree. With a Blackbird and a Timeless .68 Safety Bar, all my bases are covered.

C'mon, mailman! :001_tongu

"Out for delivery" but I need a Timeless titanium shave right now! :a20:

Yes, yes you do! I used my Timeless Titanium .95 OC today but first time with MdC Rose. It was blissfully wonderful. First pass with the grain took off 3 days growth, light rinse and it was so slick I did the second pass against the grain. Got a BBS shave with 1 pickup spot. Did not have to use the scalloped side at all. You will love it!
AA :a48:

Top Bottom