What's new

about shaving cream

hey all,

since I am still a beginner in this world of wet shaving, I would like to know something about the shaving creams. What is the better/right way to use it and keep the soap good for the long term. Should I load the soap from the bowl it self with the brush or take a little amount of cream from the bowl and then lather it up.

Is there any new soap that I should try?

I scoop some out, put it on the brush and face lather.. I live in an extremely humid area so getting degradable things wet and leaving them to dry naturally isnt a good idea

Most of my soaps now whether hard, soft or cream I carve, scrape or scoop some out and put in the bottom of a lather bowl and whip up a lather. I have had a few soaps go rancid or bad so I don't like to get them wet with a brush if I can't help it. Just my preferred option on the way to do it. Creams you can do it a number of ways, that don't involve putting your brush in the bowl. Use finger scoop some out put it in a bowl and lather, put it on your wet brush and face lather, smear it straight on your face and face lather.

hey all,

since I am still a beginner in this world of wet shaving, I would like to know something about the shaving creams. What is the better/right way to use it and keep the soap good for the long term. Should I load the soap from the bowl it self with the brush or take a little amount of cream from the bowl and then lather it up.

I don't really care tbh. I've taken some and applied to my face, I've swirled my brush for like 2 seconds and then lathered, I've scooped some out and put it on the brush and lathered, I've scooped some out and put it in a bowl and lathered. I've scooped some out and just rubbed it onto my face and lathered that way. Creams don't make you a slave to the brush like soaps (at least soaps that don't come out of the container) will. Do what you want, Its never made a difference for me. Just keep the cream to water ratio right and you'll be fine.

In terms of trying, new soap doesn't mean better. Try the usual suspects, Proraso, TOBS, DRH, Speick etc. TOBS Aloe Vera is the best in my opinion. I've already made a few posts on my reviews of TOBS and DRH and haven't actually used proraso cream just the croap tub.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Have a go all the different ways. It is part of the great adventure. Once you have found out what work best for you. Then stick rigidly to what you have discovered and tell others it is the only way to do it. :c9::c9::c9:

hey all,

Welcome to the hobby!

Me? I load hard soap pucks from the container and face lather. I scoop croaps and creams from the container and into the bottom of a lather bowl. I too had some soap go bad on me, so I make sure to let the hard pucks air dry for 24 hours.

As far as recommendations, what have you tried so far?

I use an almond sized, silver spoon to precisely measure a snurdle sized scoop of cream into my vintage, sterling silver, lather bowl.

It couldn’t be easier. You always load the same amount and the cream stays nice.

8A60647C-8B7D-4BC2-9D93-8944E95E0A62.jpeg

For 20+ years I have lathered the soap/cream in the bowl it came in then face lathered. I have just participated in a PIF and can't do that, so had to use a bowl. I now see bowl lathering is superior because you always use a standard quantity of soap (portion control & drawing comparisons), you don't contaminate the soap (you can then PIF it), the soap stays 'fresher'. Tomo's a good example of the ideal eqipment. I thought one extra thing to clean up would eb a pain, but the dish goes into the water before the brush and it's no worries. I'm a convert.

For 20+ years I have lathered the soap/cream in the bowl it came in then face lathered. I have just participated in a PIF and can't do that, so had to use a bowl. I now see bowl lathering is superior because you always use a standard quantity of soap (portion control & drawing comparisons), you don't contaminate the soap (you can then PIF it), the soap stays 'fresher'. Tomo's a good example of the ideal eqipment. I thought one extra thing to clean up would eb a pain, but the dish goes into the water before the brush and it's no worries. I'm a convert.
The bowl is handy for cleaning the brush too. I clean the bowl by ‘lathering’ running water in it at the end of the shave. It cleans the bowl and the brush at the same time.

The bowl is handy for cleaning the brush too. I clean the bowl by ‘lathering’ running water in it at the end of the shave. It cleans the bowl and the brush at the same time.

I do the same thing for cleaning the bowl/brush. Only time it changes is when I use my knife to shave off thin strips of my hard soap and press it in the bottom of my bowl. I always carve off too much and have enough for 2-3 shaves, I don't even rinse my lather bowl. I just let the soap dry up in the bowl and let it become lather again the next time I shave.

Top Bottom