What's new

? About meaning of a sentence.

Anyone know what the following sentence means? The sentence is as follows. " The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."

It's a sentence that uses all the letters in the alphabet.
Most commonly used by people to show a font or someone's handwriting.
It allows you to see how each letter would look.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
And has been used to test typewriters and computer keyboards. :lol1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_quick_brown_fox_jumps_over_the_lazy_dog

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00E_LVo_aTo[/YOUTUBE]

Christopher
proxy.php

I used to work at a small town newspaper (the What Cheer Paper out of What Cheer, Iowa) and we also did custom printing. The guy that ran the paper, Chuck, was a bit of a type/font nerd. He had dozens or possibly hundreds of different fonts in boxes in the basement of the paper office. Every box had the name of the font written in Times New Roman at the top and that sentence written in the font contained in the box at the bottom. Good times.

I'll throw some more learnin' at ya.

If you are running XP (We still are at work, I'm sure its the same in Win7) go to C:\Windows\Fonts and open any of the font files. (double click)
you will see that sentence in a variety of sizes for each font.

betcha didn't know that!

I'll throw some more learnin' at ya.

If you are running XP (We still are at work, I'm sure its the same in Win7) go to C:\Windows\Fonts and open any of the font files. (double click)

betcha didn't know that!

Ok, I knew the meaning of the sentence but I didn't know this. Thanks for the interesting tidbit!

i'll throw some more learnin' at ya.

If you are running xp (we still are at work, i'm sure its the same in win7) go to c:\windows\fonts and open any of the font files. (double click)

Betcha didn't know that!

I just checked (I have Windows 7). Cool beans :thumbup1:

View attachment 153373

Typing (and re-typing) that sentence was a common practice exercise... in Typing Class. (Yes. At one time students were taught keyboarding skills in school.)

As mentioned previously, the sentence uses all the letters in the alphabet.

In older versions of Microsoft Word you could type
=rand(#)
in an empty document and get that many paragraphs (whatever number you specified) worth of that sentence. Was an easy way to test document issues in a new document without having to actually type text.

Looks like this text has been changed sometime around Word 2007.

It's a sentence that uses all the letters in the alphabet.

aka. a pangram

And here is a pangrammic autogram for you. :thumbup:

This sentence employs two a's, one b, two c's, two d's, twenty nine e's, four f's, three g's, six h's, nine i's, one j, one k, three l's, two m's, twenty one n's, eighteen o's, two p's, one q, six r's, twenty eight s's, twenty one t's, four u's, two v's, eleven w's, four x's, six y's, and one z.

In older versions of Microsoft Word you could type
=rand(#)
in an empty document and get that many paragraphs (whatever number you specified) worth of that sentence.

Funny, in my version of Word that produces page after page of "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

Last edited:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Typing (and re-typing) that sentence was a common practice exercise... in Typing Class. (Yes. At one time students were taught keyboarding skills in school.)

As mentioned previously, the sentence uses all the letters in the alphabet.

Hey! Not THAT long ago! I'm only 28 and I did it when I was in school.

Top Bottom