What's new

About H2O

Gents, I was just wondering what water you use for brewing your teas and coffees. I'd love to use my local tap water but it contains far too many minerals and also has nasty dertergent smell to it. It's not suited for brewing tea or coffee at all and leaves that familiar 'film' layer on top of the tea and the inside of my mugs . Since I don't have any sort of filtering system, I use bottled Spa water from their Reine source in the Belgian Ardennes. So, what about your H2O?? Anyone using tap water straight from the tap with good results?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a DuPont filter on the tap that does the job for my coffee, I have hard water so I replace the filter more than I would like to but $10 for a filter is a lot less than an the same volume of bottled water.

I use a Brita to filter the tap water for tea and coffee. The water is not bad to start with, and the Brita does remove the Chlorine small and taste.

My tap water is some of the most top rated in country, and I have no problems with it when using it to brew with. The only possible objection is a slight chlorine taste, but my Panasonic Thermo Pot takes care of that.

Interesting the timing of this thread. There was a news story today about the quality of bottled water versus tap water, and the associated costs. It seems that for the cost, bottled is no better than tap. And most of the bottled water does not list the source of the water, or what else it might contain. Public water supplies are required to list everything in the water coming out of the plant.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Tap water is quite good here in Australia, I should give bottle water a go. However, they often do studies here saying that bottle water is often equal or worse than tap water.

I use our tap water as it is very good. I'm also on the Brita bandwagon for my espresso machine. If you've ever gone through de-liming a machine, the tedium of filtering water becomes something I'm readily-willing to do. Yes, the filters get expensive but they're worth it in the end.

I have pretty hard water in my country (~300-500mg/L). My tap water goes through 8L ion exchange filter, connected to a Pentek activated coal filter. The result is pretty comparable to bottled water and is completely boiler and kettle safe (no limescale).

I have a well and the water is pretty nice from it. It's a bit hard, but it doesn't bother me and it keeps my kidneys strong :biggrin: . Although my Capresso MT500 has a filter built in, I don't know if it's effective at removing any minerals.

For coffee brewing I use water that comes from my refrigerator, since it has a filter that it uses for the cold water dispenser and ice maker.

I have a small diverted faucet that uses double charcoal filtration. I use it for all tea and cooking. That Belgian in your avatar is making me thirsty.

Well water here. The filter in the fridge has been going strong for six years now so I guess we're good on the mineral count.

As filthy, ghetto, and crappy as my city is, we have shockingly good tap water. In fact, it is excellent in parts of town (luckily mine). I just use that.

Amazingly, at my parent's house, in a FAR more affluent part of the state, the tap water is terrible. Hard, scale, chlorine, etc... It is amazing that the average income in their part of the state is almost 8 times as high as the average income in my city, but their water is so bad to the point that I barely want to shower in it....

Speaking of water, does anyone else have problems with scale? I think my pur filter helps a little, but I still have to wipe down my kettle everyday. I also notices some bits floating around in the water.

My tap water is some of the most top rated in country, and I have no problems with it when using it to brew with. The only possible objection is a slight chlorine taste, but my Panasonic Thermo Pot takes care of that.

Interesting the timing of this thread. There was a news story today about the quality of bottled water versus tap water, and the associated costs. It seems that for the cost, bottled is no better than tap. And most of the bottled water does not list the source of the water, or what else it might contain. Public water supplies are required to list everything in the water coming out of the plant.

Very true on the quality of water out of the tap verses the bottled water. I had our water at home tested a few months back and it was gross to see the results. BUT to make matters worse my bottled water was even worse, especially the chlorine level.

Top Bottom