What's new

Abercrombie & Fitch "Woods"

You ALWAYS see this discontinued cologne on eBay, selling for exorbitant prices. My question is, at what stores are so many sellers seemingly purchasing this cologne!?! I'd absolutely LOVE to get my hands on a 1.7 oz. or 3.4 oz. bottle for personal use, but I really don't want to play the eBay game.

That said, does anyone happen to know where this stuff is still available (if indeed it is)? I mean, other than eBay, where do people find discontinued colognes?

-Pete

I'm not sure of this cologne at all. My guess on where they find them would be from those perfume counter usually found at the mall. How much was the normal retail for this cologne though? It is being sold on ebay for about $50-80 from what I see, which doesn't seem like that expensive (although admitadly i spend to much on colognes)

I'm not sure of this cologne at all. My guess on where they find them would be from those perfume counter usually found at the mall. How much was the normal retail for this cologne though? It is being sold on ebay for about $50-80 from what I see, which doesn't seem like that expensive (although admitadly i spend to much on colognes)

I really don't know that Woods is widely recognized as an "great" cologne, but to me, it was a hit, and it has value as I haven't worn or smelled it in over 10 years. If I could find a decent sized bottle for that price, I'd buy it! Auctions for a 1.7 oz. bottle of this stuff rarely ends under $100. To put things into perspective, there's a "Buy It Now" for $150 (1.7 oz). This stuff used to sell for like $40 for the 3.4 oz. bottle I USED to have. Truly a shame.

-Pete

I remember this cologne, I used to really like it! I too have noticed it selling for stupid prices, simply because it's now discontinued and there is obviously a limited quantity. This stuff was a chick magnet as I recall, as well :w00t:

makes me glad I still have mine....but it is only half full:frown:

And I also have the matching ASB as well.

And yes, it was/is a chick magnet. SWMBO likes it, just not as well as the Ralph Lauren colognes

I have less than a cm left in my bottle and I'll be sad when it's gone.

I was reading about the new Banana Republic scents at basenotes and a person or two mentioned that one of them is a dead ringer for Woods. Haven't been to a mall since then to check for myself.

I have less than a cm left in my bottle and I'll be sad when it's gone.

I was reading about the new Banana Republic scents at basenotes and a person or two mentioned that one of them is a dead ringer for Woods. Haven't been to a mall since then to check for myself.

Perhaps I'll have to give them a sniff. I'd love to be able to find something very close that's readily available.

I have a practically full bottle with about an inch of dust on it. I guess I will have to blow it off and take a sniff.

Dennis

i think i have a sampler vial of this stuff somewhere.a friend gave me vials of 2 or 3 A&F colognes and a vial of Baron back in the late 80's early 90"s.i'll have to look for them.

http://basenotes.net/ID26128322.html

That's the one. Not much info on it, unfortunately, other than that one review. I'm not a big mall shopper, so it'll be a while before I get to try it out.

Just paid Banana Republic a visit, and I'd have to disagree with the opinion at basenotes. Instead, I'd be more inclined to say Cordovan smells similar to Davidoff's, "Good Life". My nose found very few/no similarities between the Cordovan and Abercrombie & Fitch Woods, unfortunately.

-Pete

Y

Yo Mama

I'm one of those Ebay people.

I bought 200 bottles in December 2006, and have been slowly bleeding them off. Not sure about the other sellers. I know one guy on Amazon is just taking empty bottles and filling them with diluted water/cologne.

I also am always on the hunt for this one, the ladies can't get enough.

Don't go out of your way but next time you go to the mall smell the

L'Occitane vetyver, I thought it was the closest thing, but it I might be

mistaken due to the overwhelming smell of the store. Either way give it a try.

Floris Elite reminds me of the smell but not at all close to the same.

N

NYDebz

I'm one of those Ebay people.

I bought 200 bottles in December 2006, and have been slowly bleeding them off. Not sure about the other sellers. I know one guy on Amazon is just taking empty bottles and filling them with diluted water/cologne.

I am always curious as to how people find out perfumes are going to be discontinued. I always try and ask the sales people about my few favorites and they always tell me they haven't heard anything. Then, sure enough, one is discontinued and I missed the opportunity to stock up. Very frustrating. :mad3:

This was my go-to scent about ten years ago...haven't smelled it since then. Wonder if it would still pass the shnozz test after all these years! Definitely a blast from the past...

Whomever makes the decisions in the A&F co. on fragrances strikes me as somewhat thick. You've got "Woods," which apparently was a big hit among people who have smelled it (I am not one of them), and they discontinued it. Then you have "Ezra Fitch" cologne, which apparently was *not* a big hit (I have smelled it and it's horrible), and they discontinued it as well. HOWEVER, they apparently repackaged "Ezra Fitch" in their Ruehl stores as "R-7."

OK, so either they had huge tanks of Ezra Fitch backstock and had to get rid of it some how, OR the nose making the decisions refuses to accept that the sh*t smells bad.

If it were me and I had this relatively new store and knowing I had this formulation for a cologne that still grabs a lot of $$$ on eBay, I'd ditch the R-7 and get the Woods in Ruehl stores under a different name. Then "leak" to the net that this store has a cologne that smells "almost identical" to Woods.

At the very least, re-release it as a limited addition in A&F stores.

What happened anyway? Was "Woods" a poor seller, and there are only a few people who love it and I'm only seeing their comments any time I read how fantastic it is? Or, like I said, are they really that "out of touch" and decided perhaps it was too mature of a scent so they went with Fierce and axed the Woods (so to speak)?

I think the most frustrating part of this is I can't even smell it to see what all the fuss is about.

With all of the Eternity and Cool Water clones out there (not just knock-offs, but actual legit scents that smell like it), it seems like some perfumer would get a hold of a bottle and release a clone of it as a legit release.

Again, that is assuming it smells THAT good. ;)

Still, Woods goes for high prices on eBay. "Someone" is paying a lot for it...and I don't believe it's the same few people over and over again.

B

bdsext

I used to work for Abercrombie at the time Woods was launched back in 1989-90. It was part of a three fragrance launch. Each fragrance had soap, talc powder, anti perspirant, Shave soap, aftershave, aftershave lotion, and the cologne. Launched in what looked like apothecary glass the presentation was stunning. "Woods", bottled in royal blue with silver writing, was for the sophisticated gentleman, "Spice", Bottled in a honey gold bottle with Gold writing, was for the passionate romantic man, and Grass, bottled in the Polo green glass with gold writing (sounds familiar doesn't it), was for the outdoorsman. Spice was similar to Lagerfeld, Grass was similar to the green Polo fragrance, but Woods was truly unique. They were produced through a national fragrance company especially for Abercrombie as part of a new launch for Abercrombie & Fitch after the Limited Corp purchased them from Oshman's. They tried to keep the Haberdashery concept alive but the times weren't right and it eventually evolved to the "Boy Toy" store it is today.

Spice was the first to retire due to poor sales. Then as the company was changing and looking for a "Brand" fragrance "Grass" was retired and "woods" was the Brand. It was cross sold as well, in the other limited stores such as Victoria's Secret for a short time. At that time it was changed to a clear ribbed glass with a cream label and with dusty blue writing and packaging.

As the company evolved even more and clientele got younger woods was dropped for a more youthful fragrance and was not seen again on the market.

I have tried to contact the original manufacturer but have been unsuccessful in getting them to relaunch it even under a new name. I believe it has to do with the Limited's contract with them. Maybe a petition to the Limited Corporation might get things back on track, because I too love the fragrance. I stocked up before it was dropped and am almost out

Hope they will get it back to market.

Top Bottom